Rejection of sinaiticus and Vaticanus? TR and the original autographs

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jbh28, Jul 1, 2010.

1. jbh28 Active Member

non-sequitur

God promised to preserve His word and his word he has preserved. If it has to be in one version, He didn't preserve it them because there is no perfect version. Now, you say that the KJV is this version. What about before the KJV. You say the received text, but the kjv doesn't agree with any particular received text except the one from 1884. Then what about before the received text(which has roots to the 1500's)? Was the Bible preserved them? If so, then according to your view, where. See, my view says the WORDS are preserved and it doesn't matter if they were copied down correctly in any particular manuscript, nor if they were translated correctly. I know the words are here on this earth. I have an ESV with me and I know I have the Word of God. I have a KJV at home along with a NASB, NIV, NKJV, HCSB and I know I have the word of God. Praise his for the ABUNDANCE of sources in English to read his Word!

2. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not uncomfortable about it at all. But the debate is far more evolved than the Lucian Recension theory of Hort. Lucian was touted because of the time frames which haven't been dismissed matches. It doesn't change the Fact that John Chrysostum and Austerius only agrees with 75% of the text. So we're talking about a later date the peshitta arangement gives it the date that Wescott and Hort alluded to. Lucian was a theory it can be proven or disproven but the dating seems to have support. So not as uncomfortable as you might think. Try reading Silva.

3. Winman Active Member

You must not be aware that multiple thousands of words (in the Greek) are missing from the Critical Text. Here is an article on this:

http://www.biblebelievers.com/Floyd_Jones/Jones_Ripped5.html

4. stilllearning Active Member

Hello Trotter

I can’t believe you said this, in response to winman’s call to trust “one” Bible version.....
    How can you even know about God, without “what men have put to paper”?!?

We have faith in the one true living God, that has given us His Word.
    (And His Word has be preserved for us, by “what men have put to paper”.)
    --------------------------------------------------
    But.....the Bible repeatedly warns us about deceivers, who will try to destroy our faith, by casting doubt upon God’s Word.

This is the whole reason for this part of the BB...........
    (1) Some of us say, that having multiple versions of the Bible in any one language, is part of Satan’s attempt to cast doubt upon God’s Word.
    (2) While others say, that “they like having multiple versions”, because they have been told, that they all say the same thing; (If this is true, why even have them.)

But winman found this verse the other day, that shows just how dangerous multiple versions can be........
    “Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.” (Acts 3:26 AV)

“"To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one [of you] from your iniquities."” (Acts 3:26 NKJV)

Subtly casting doubt upon the Deity of Christ.
    (Now multiply this by a thousand, and how are people’s faith effected?)

5. Mexdeaf New Member

6. Mexdeaf New Member

Servant, Son- same difference in the Greek. It's a translator's choice issue. Servant fits the context of the sermon better.

7. Askjo New Member

You believe:

God the Father
    God the Servant
    God the Holy Spirit.

I believe:

God the Father
    God the Son
    God the Holy Spirit.

8. jbh28 Active Member

You must not have ever read the book of Mark.:rolleyes:

9. Mexdeaf New Member

As Dr. Roberson used to say, "I don't need you to tell me how I believe the Bible." And he wasn't KJVO either.

10. Askjo New Member

The Book of Mark is NOT the Book of Acts.

11. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have, apparently inadvertently, supported my position. The fact that pre 4th century distinctively Byzantine readings exist at all proves that the Byzantine textform is not a late, derivative textform. And, when that became patently obvious the Alexandrian textform apologists invented the so-called "block mixture" theory, which also flies in the face of proven facts.

Let’s face it. The evidence supports the existence of distinctly Byzantine readings prior to the 4th century.

Also, I am not the spelling/grammar police, but I would tend to give more credence to your arguments if you spelled Chrysostom and Westcott correctly. :)

12. Askjo New Member

Oh I see! You follow a man's step.

13. jbh28 Active Member

Circular reasoning. You are assuming that the words in the TR were not added. You have made the TR the standard and the CT, when it has a shorter reading, must have "removed" the words. Could it not be that the TR has added words?

In textual criticism(something that Erasmus did and others with the TR text over the years) the trend is that readings will grow over the years. That is why in textual criticism, the shorter reading is generally preferred as being original. (this is the case in any textual criticism, not just when it is dealing with biblical texts) Copyist tend to add words than remove them. Usually this happens when a Scribe puts something(like an explanation) in the text, and the next Scribe thinks it is part of the text.

But over all, you missed the point of my post. Or you ignored it because you might realize that I'm right. Not about shorter vs longer, or majority vs older, but that my view of preservation is correct. You might notice that I do use the KJV and I have not asked you one time to switch from the KJV. I have no problem with somebody that disagrees with me over which is the better text(TR vs CT). What I do have a problem is the bad reasons for kjvo. There are good reasons, but there are bad. Promoting the KJV as a "perfect" versions is one because it simply isn't true. Saying one must have a perfect versions isn't true. It isn't supported by Scripture and people mislead others by pretending to use "faith" as a support. It isn't faith, well it isn't faith in the Bible. As I said, if it must be in one translation, then you need to tell us where this "perfect" copy was prior to the KJV. Or was it not in a perfect copy then? And if it wasn't, was it still preserved?

14. jbh28 Active Member

The Book of Mark is NOT the book of Romans.

And your point?

Mark presents Jesus as a servant.

15. Askjo New Member

Yes, I agree with that. 150 Byzantine readings were there prior to the 4th century.

16. Askjo New Member

Acts 3:26 is not in the Book of Mark.

17. jbh28 Active Member

I never said it was. You didn't like the term servant being in reference to Jesus and I wasn't showing how Mark shows Jesus.

in Acts 3:26, the term is pais which can be either servant or son.

18. Askjo New Member

I read the Book of Mark concerning Jesus as a Servant. The KJV translators were so wise to translate a right word on Acts 3:26 because of the doctrinal clarification.

19. Winman Active Member

Fine, if the Critical Text is correct, then the TR did add words and the authors of those extra words and I suppose those who trust it like myself would come under God's curses shown in Revelation 22:18-19.

But either way, you can't say both the CT and the TR are the preserved and pure Word of God. One of them is corrupt.

I believe the TR is correct and the CT is corrupt, what do you believe?

20. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the evidence indicates both the TR (you pick whichever one of the 30 odd TRs you please) and the CT (again, you pick which of the 30 odd CTs you prefer) are corrupt.

However, I believe the Byzantine textform is the preserved word of God in Greek, and best represents the autographical readings. However, I believe the Alexandrian textform also represents the preserved word of God in Greek, but with a lesser degree of accuracy.

But, unfortunately, that is a position arrived at via 35 years of study, scholarship, and personal examination of the evidence, something you lack either the ability or character to do. You will continue to rely on illogical emotional arguments bereft of any historic factual basis.