Review of "Hell's Best Kept Secret"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 12, 2016.

1. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, actually, you have no idea what I believe about any of these subjects. IFB's are not monolithic on any of them.

Now, again I'll ask, and even cut it down to one issue. Are you comfortable touting a Charismatic author like Ray Comfort? And if that is nitpicking, I'm a Hyper-Calvinist. :D

P. S. I didn't really expect you to change your mind. I just thought I'd take up your oft-stated challenge to read the book (you should be glad :)) so I could tell others on the BB what it was all about.

2. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charismatics are not all bad. There are degrees and ones like Comfort are the more conservative. It granted many of them are heretical and have a shallow gospel.

3. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what I asked. Let me rephrase it. Are you comfortable with promoting the use of Charismatic tongues by pushing Hell's Best Kept Secret here on the BB?

4. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or the fact that Charasmatics also push the "real full Gospel?"

6. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with those that speak in tongues or attempt to speak in a sign gift. But this does not mean they are false converts. So yes I am comfortable promoting Hells Best Kept Secret as the entire book is not abut tongues anyways.

7. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read Ephesians again. God gave us teachers and evangelists to EQUIP the saints.

8. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pick someone better to follow

9. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO!!!!!!

10. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So it has been shown how poor his theology is and the many problems in this book and yet you are adamant that he is a great one to follow?

11. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Comfort is a great evangelist to follow. I never said he was a great theologian.

12. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

13. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are a fool?

14. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The Bible does say a lot about ignoring wise counsel. Its even worse when someone ask for it and than attacks everyone that does give wise Biblical counsel.

16. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 4:10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.

I'm a fool for Christ's sake.

17. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theology aside, I am sure that Ray Comfort is an excellent evangelist. But, theology aside, an argument can be made that Joel Osteen is far superior based on his number of "converts". For some of us, a teacher’s beliefs are fundamental when it comes to becoming their “student”.

There are, of course, differences in doctrine that we may tolerate. John MacArthur rejects sign gifts. John Piper believes they are relevant for today. John Wesley was an Arminian. John Calvin was Reformed. Karl Barth was…well.... Karl Barth :confused:. We can learn from all of these people (to include, I am confident, Ray Comfort). But we have to be careful when it comes to following any one of them.

I understand you to be saying that you like Comfort's evangelistic method, and that you are inspired by his ministry. As long as you see the potential dangers or flaws in his teachings, I don't fault you for that. He is a very engaging and, I believe, earnest man. I think that he has a passion for reaching the lost for Christ. I only wish that he had devoted more time being discipled before he sought to disciple others. But I wish him the best and hope that many are reached for the Kingdom.

18. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. So sure are we?

19. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; respondebat illa: ἀποθανεῖν θέλω"....wow...I don't know where that came from. :Laugh

I'm not sure.

20. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By that logic, I hereby nominate Peter Ruckman as our new #1 author; let's go out and get all of his books!

John (Evangelist) -- evangelism *MUST* necessary follow (be based on) theology. Without the underlying foundation, then what are we spreading? If Comfort's theology is in question, then we must doubly scrutinize his evangelism techniques, which are derived from/based on his theology and understanding.