1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Review of "Hell's Best Kept Secret"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now you are trying to derail the thread. Please go back and answer my post #91, and let's get the thread back on track.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said he has 9 books on both sides of the subject. That means some are in support, some are against. Then he named some authors that he suggest YOU read: Martuneac, Hodges, Ryrie, and Pickering.

If you're not familiar with their works, then JoJ has studied the subject much more in-depth than you have.

But I'm really looking forward to your answer to JoJ's post #91.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Please tell me you are joking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read How then should we live when first saved, and really spoke to me on how to live as a Christian in post modern age!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do like to read and listen to him, as I think he is good on the Christine doctrines of the Faith, except in the area of Lordship salvtion, and he also tends to see himself as only way to see things at times!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also reject the extreme position that DR Mac and others have taken in LS position, as know they want to make ure one is really saved, but looking to us for thir confidence is NOT what Bible teaches, as we are to focus upon Jesus and the Cross!

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How else are you going to get the complete gospel? If I recall. Wasn't it MacArthur who wrote "how shall they hear without a preacher?" And, in case you haven't noticed, he is a preacher.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All you should do is read books by Ryrie and Zane Hodgh concerning LSad gree grace!

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that's my next target. Heh, heh, heh. :Biggrin

But think about what you typed in. Comfort wrote a book on soul-winning, Hell's Best Kept Secret, and he didn't even get the Gospel right. How does this make his other books on evangelism worth reading? :Thumbsdown

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is a good uthor, but tends to get to extreme in his views, not tolerant of any against him, and his LS still is extreme...

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a MacArthur study Bible and a reading plan to study all of his notes next year. I only wish he used footnotes instead of including the whole Bible (all that scripture gets in the way and makes the book a bit bulkey).

#111 JonC, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am adamantly opposed to LS.

Why: because as on earth so in the heavenlies.
    We are born as babies on earth and as babes in Christ spiritually, we are not BORN as ADULTS.
    The level of maturity to realize His Lordship differs among His little ones as they approach spiritual adolescence.

And when I did realized that He was/is my LORD, it was as the hymn says "Joy unspeakable and full of glory!".

HankD

#112 HankD, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior or not at all. In speaking of belief, faith, and repentance, we are speaking of lordship (or to whom we belong). But I do not know that this is "Lordship Salvation".

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon IMO You are quoting a fallacy that someone else taught you in your first sentence. It is about our spiritual birth not our belief in dissecting Him into LORD and Savior and having to believe both that determines if He is indeed our LORD.

At my rebirth He was (even if I didn't realize it), He is, He always will be my LORD.

HankD

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Given your last statement, I am really not so sure where we disagree.

I believe that repentance and belief are essential to salvation and no one is saved apart from faith. Belief implies an object towards which that faith is directed. Repentance is turning from one thing to another. So I believe that when I was saved I turned from my own righteousness and my own sinful nature to Christ, and His nature and His righteousness. That is, Jesus is Lord and Savior….He cannot be one without the other.

I am not saying that we realize this fully (I do believe we have a realized faith in Christ) when we are saved. And I am not saying that we do not struggle and sin.I am saying that when we are saved we die to sin and are made alive to God in Christ (not “outside of Christ”).

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is more than Lord and Savior - any Mormon or JW can say He is Lord and Savior

He is God come in the flesh.

HankD

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mean we say He is our Lord and Savior, I mean He is our Lord and Savior regardless of the extent we realize it (if we are saved).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His study bible is very good, but just remind yourself that he has that strong LS poition that comes thru!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth is hat God installs Jesu as the Lord over all of th redeemed, we do not make Him Lord over us, since He already that over us!
    IF He meant that we need to become more and more like Jesus, allowing Him to fully rule our lives, OK, but he tends to make it sound like if we are holding still unto any sin areas, not saved!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost like tha we need to be cleaned up before saved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.