Rick Warren opposes fundamentalism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bjonson, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Ron Arndt New Member

No, his bank account, as does Jan and Paul Croch's bank account tells you just where their real treasure is.

2. Brice New Member

I wonder if you would say the same about King David? A rich man and a man after God's own heart. His money doesn't give you the right to judge his motives, not to mention that someone who gives 90% of his money back probably isn't in it for the money.

[ January 25, 2006, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

3. Johnv New Member

So if a man has a lot of money, then it's a reflection of not having a Godly heart? Let me know if I need to dump my IRA.

4. blackbird Active Member

You can dump it in my lap, Brother!!! I'll have it "reinvested" faster than you can say, "_______!!"

5. Ron Arndt New Member

The love OF MONEY is the root of all evil. It is more difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God, than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

6. Johnv New Member

True, Ron, but just because a person has a lot of money (which, in itself, is subjective), does not mean they can be judged to automatically be a lover of money. In fact, such a presumption is a greater indicator of covetousness on the part of the perceiver than love of money on a part of the perceived.

I have a net worth of about $500,000, and stand to inhierit about 1 million upon my mother's death. Will I then be prohibited from entering the Kingdom?

7. Ron Arndt New Member

Johnv

It depends on how you USE that money? For most of the wealthy, money is an OBSESSION and most of the time an obsession with wanting to make MORE money. Where your heart is, there also will be your treasure. Did you ever read the story of Philip Carey? He was quite wealthy. He gave it all up and devoted the remainder of his life to become a missionary. Think about it.

8. Johnv New Member

Again, you're assuming that most wealthy people are obsessed with money, or love money. That's a completely arrogant and unrighteous presumption.

***Personal insult removed***

Yes, I know of the Carey story. He was so called. That doesn't mean any person who does not do likewise is living unrighteously. I know I am certainly not called for such a life.

[ January 25, 2006, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

9. IveyLeaguer New Member

FWIW, I've seen no evidence that Rick Warren is motivated by money.

10. Hope of Glory New Member

Although I'm vehemently opposed to Rick Warren's teachings, I have little doubt but that his intentions are good.

11. OldRegular Well-Known Member

So, what are good intentions worth?

12. blackbird Active Member

You enter by God's grace, of course---but your "bula bula" will have to stay behind!!

13. Hope of Glory New Member

It's worth stating that I don't think he's motivated by money, no matter how errant he may be.

14. All about Grace New Member

Let's see ... the man gives away 90% of his income, refuses to change his lifestyle (no new cars, homes, etc.), establishes 3 foundations to help the poor and AIDS victims, gives every penny of money back he has received from his church, and refuses to take any more salary for the remainder of his ministry there ... now there's a guy motivated by money!!!

It never amazes me the extent people will go to disparage a man like Rick Warren.

15. Ron Arndt New Member

Yep, when Warren stops upholding these fundamentals, he is just another religious liberal.

1. The Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    2. The Virgin Birth.
    3. The Blood Atonement.
    4. The Bodily Resurrection.
    5. The inerrancy of the scriptures.

Could you imagine Paul telling the Christians in his day that the Jews who were trying to get them to follow after the law were God's children to and not to be so concerned? Warren is just pushing his ecumenical gospel to sell more books. Robert Shuller did the same thing.

16. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am amazed this has lasted 12 pages. All the haters will try to link Warren to XYZ people or beliefs and say HE then must believe it.

I went to a non-Baptist seminary. Does not make me a non-Baptist.

I served 18 months in a Evangelical Free church. Does not make me cash in my Baptist ordination and become Free.

I read books by Finney, but does not make me a heretic denying the substitutionary atonement.

I even went to PAstor's School in Hammond, In, one year and watched the college there give an honorary doctorate to a HORSE. IT DOESN'T MAKE ME A HORSE!!

I believe the 14 basic fundamentals of the 1895 Niagara Conference and so does Rick. Always has. I don't like some of the methods he uses nor always agree with his wording. And dislike using "The Message" paraphrase when there are so many good English translations.

But to say he or I are NOT fundamental is a LIE and those who say it are LIARS.

Now, I'll step back off the soapbox . . .

17. OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe in the plenary verbal inspiration of the Bible but I believe that dispensationalism is an erroneous doctrine. Therefore, I guess that I am not a fundamentalist.

18. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    originally posted by Dr. Bob...
    Amen! I myself was ordained a Pentecostal preacher, yet left that denomination many years ago.

Do I still preach? Certainly! And at a Baptist Fellowship, no less.

19. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the REAL fundamentals. No "dispensationalism required" in the list.

(You SHOULD be covenant in a dispensational framework! My position always raises eyebrows in BOTH groups!)

20. Ron Arndt New Member

Dr Bob

You may not admit you are dispensational. but in reality you are. Do you believe there was an old covenant? And do you believe there is now a new covenant? Well, if that is the case, than the groups of people who live under those two covenants are living in two different dispensations are they not? And who would that be Dr Bob, if not Israel and the church of Christ?

The bible is VERY clear that God has dealt with Israel and is now dealing with Christ's body the church. To deny this, is to deny both the old and new testaments of the bible.