1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman Catholic...Christian or Cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jedi Knight, Aug 4, 2010.

?
  1. Yes they are a cult.

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No they are a christian denomination.

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Not sure.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like Ive seen this play before.... When Torquemada is through, just burn the body & scatter what remains to the winds.

Good night all!

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I would also agree that the papacy doesn't want to be considered the Man of Sin, the Son of Perdition, the Antichrist. But it is.

3. ReformedBaptist

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12260a.htm

How disgusting. May the Lord quickly destroy the papacy with the brightness of His coming.

4. ReformedBaptist

Popes persecute true Christians by the civil power like the Jews persecuted the Christians by the civil power:

5. ReformedBaptist

The Antichrist claims universal authority over the church:

The pope claims to be the supreme teacher:

I defy the pope and all popes and popedom and all popery by the Word of God and by Jesus Christ. Christ ALONE is the Chief Shepherd, Supreme Ruler, only Head of the Church, and Christ Jesus Alone has chief control of every department of the CHurch's life....it BELONGS TO JESUS.

Let the usurper be anathema.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Then let's get rid of all our pastors. Just think how much money we're going to save by not having to pay them! Oh yes, we also need to take a pen knife and neatly excise Hebrews 13:17.

7. ReformedBaptist

No appealing to the Scripture for your pope.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that is a new one for me.......a reformed brother ever dismissing scripture for anything in life. I was trained to have it as part of my right hand, part of my heart & in my mind. Simply Shameful. Shakes head.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But that's not what we do. First of all, we're not to bow down to these idols. Secondly people pray, plead and beseech them to help them. Thirdly, I don't know many Catholics who look at a statue and say that they need to be more like them. Instead they look TO them for guidance and answers to prayer. Big difference.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    Thinkingstuff, Your signature-line proves Carl Sagan is a fool, no genius.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thinkingstuff [​IMG]
    Its basically saying that the statue is a Picture of a saint and helps us to consentrate on their good qualities that we may incorporate such qualities into our life. Like I want to be bold like Peter or Paul with sharing the Gospel when I see a picture of their representation I try to imitate them by following their example in the gospel. Thus no problem. I just don't think you understand what it said.

GE:
    Then others will stare at your picture, and imitate you, and it will be the beginning of the progeny of pictures and statues.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GE: Im sure that was done to annoy you. Guess it worked.

13. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I went to Roman Catholic Church school and was never taught how to have a personal relationship with the Lord. I was however taught to pray to Mary.....thought that was strange even as a young lost person.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So let me get this straight.....most of the people posting on here are ex-Roman Catholics....Hmmm, This explains much.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It usually explains that they know what they were taught.
    That when they were saved, they were taught something that they never heard before in the RCC.
    That when they were saved, they underwent a glorious transformation because they now had the Holy Spirit dwelling in them--a relationship instead of a religion. And what a difference that makes!
    That when they were saved, and after studying their Bibles for just a little bit they realized that they had to make a decision: either leave the RCC and all of its heresies, and join a Bible-believing church, or remain disobedient to God and live in misery under the chastening hand of God all the time forcing oneself to listen what you now know to be heresy. How could a born again believer ever choose the latter?

16. ReformedBaptist

I am convinced at times that reason and humor is lost to you. Appealing to Scripture for a pope is an oxymoron.

17. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks Doc for making this crystal clear! Though I do see others are up in arms nevertheless.

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Yes, it does.

It means we have been on the inside, we have seen what we have seen, we have heard what is clearly taught, and we KNOW what we were taught.

And we KNOW that Catholicism reeks of idolatry, false teaching, blasphemy and a false gospel.

19. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How odd! You see, I'm ex-RC too, and yet what I was taught as a Catholic when being raised in that Church bears little or no resemblance to what you claim you were taught and what you today claim they believe. There is a finite number of possible explanations for this, which I set out below to assist:

1. I was badly catechised.

2. You were badly catechised.

3. I failed to understand what I was taught by the RCC and/or fail to understand today what they believe.

4. You failed to understand what you were taught by the RCC and/or fail to understand today what they believe.

5. The RCC in the US is a totally different denomination to the RCC in the UK.

Taking #1 and #3, a cursory (and indeed a fullsome) glance at the Catechism of the Catholic Church is sufficient to demonstrate to me that, whilst I may not have been prefectly catechised, there is enough of a striking similarity between what I was taught and what I understand Catholic doctrine and practice to be to what the Catholic Church actually teaches and practises. With regard to #5, whilst I accept that there may be a few cultural and liturgical differences, I think the Pope would have something to say were the differences to be significantly radical.

That leaves #2 and #4. Being a charitable chap, I'm willing to accept it's #2 (unless of course you want to reject that and go for #4).

And this mass of undigested proof-texting is your answer?

It would be helpful if you would care to define these terms you are randomly throwing around here: 'grace', 'justification', 'works', 'gospel'.

#99 Matt Black, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  20. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again, define what you mean by 'the gospel of Rome' and demonstrate how that marries up with what the Catholic Catechism actually teaches.

I also know many saved Catholics. They are saved not because thety reject their Church's teaching - they accept it - but because they are devoted to and love the Lord Jesus. Please explain how they are damned (according, I presume, to your soteriology) because of their love for Jesus...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.