1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 4:5

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marooncat79, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who do you think you are, I am quoting a well known published icon of the Reformed Church.

“This doctrine of total inability which declares that men are dead in sin does not mean that all men are equally bad, nor that any man is as bad as he could be, nor that anyone is entirely destitute of virtue, nor that human nature is equal in itself, nor that man’s spirit in inactive, and much less does it mean that the body is dead. What is does mean is that since the fall, man rests under the curse of sin, that he is actuated by wrong principles, and that he is wholly unable to love God, or to do anything meriting salvation. His corruption is extensive, but not necessarily intensive. It is in this sense that man, since the fall, is utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, wholly inclined to all evil. He possesses a fixed bias of the will against God, and instinctively and willingly and turns to evil. He is an alien by birth, and a sinner by choice. The inability under which he labors is not an inability to exercise volition, but an inability to be willing to exercise holy volitions. And it is this phase of it which led Luther to declare that ‘free will’ is an empty term, whose reality is lost; and a lost liberty, according to my grammar, is no liberty at all.”

Once again we see a Calvinist running away from Calvinism, because it is indefensible.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's funny :Rolleyesyou don't understand.LOL!
    MB

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's interesting, I fully understand that we have no ability to save ourselves, yet here you and Van are to try convince us that humans are able to save themselves.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your just full of untruths. I've never claimed I could save my self. Only Christ saves.. it's just that He doesn't save unless you believe. He never saves men with out them having faith. Of course your doctrine says just the opposite of what scripture actually says about it.
    Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    Act 16:32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
    Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Which is what is wrong about what you believe. Neither John Calvin or Augustine understood anything about scripture. The things they wrote were untrue. They do not line up with scripture.
    Scripture never says we are saved first so we can believe.
    MB

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    One cannot believe, unless God makes a person alive with Christ.

You cannot get around John 6, John 10, John 17, Romans 3, Romans 8, Romans 9, Galatians 3, Ephesians 1, Ephesians 2 and many more passages.

Humans do not have the capacity to willfully choose to believe that to which they are dead in trespasses and sins.

God adds to the number of believers daily. Humans add nothing by their works. You make belief an act of human will (a work to be done). I attribute all belief to God who gives us the capacity to believe by making us alive with Christ, saving us by grace, and giving us the gift of faith to believe.
    It is all God, MB. It is not MB plus a bit of God.

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me in scripture just where is says the bold and underlined above. Because none I repeat none of those scriptures say that at all. Not one. For one it's Jesus Christ who saves not the Father or the Holy Spirit. No one is saved.
    alive unless they believe first and you can't show any verse that says differently and by the way I do not get around the truth. I face it head on. Your problem is you jump right over it and ignore it all together. Typical Catholic attitude.
    MB

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have repeatedly shown you Ephesians 2:1-9.
    You reject it.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not reject Eph 2:1-9 I just do not try to reinterpret it as you do. People believe in all kinds of things there fore they have the ability to have faith to believe what ever they hear when they so desire.
    Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith is not the Gift. Salvation is and is given to those who believe in Jesus Christ

MB

• Like Like x 1