1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SBC Response to CBF Hiring LGBT administrative Staff

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by FollowTheWay, Sep 8, 2018.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism in my mind is a non-issue. The dispute rests on the difference between predestination and foreknowledge. If you understand the Mind of God, please explain that to us. I do reject the false belief in Limited Atonement. If by Feminism you mean using women to their full potential working to spread the gospel I disagree with you. That's a legalistic perspective based on the Law and the first covenant. We're now in Grace not under the law. I hope you understand that. You're using inspiration as a substitute for the usual word used which is Inerrancy. That again is a very difficult topic and there have been a number of conferences that grappled with it notably the one in Chicago.

Mat 18:9
    And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Have you done this?

2. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judge Pressler of Texas and Dr. Paige Patterson, recently fired president of SWTS, got together in New Orleans in 1967 to initiate plans for the takeover of the SBC.

Ironically, Pressler is charged with homosexual attacks.

3 men now accuse 87-year-old former Texas judge, Baptist leader of sexual misconduct

3 men now accuse 87-year-old former Texas judge, Baptist leader of sexual misconduct

A former Texas judge and prominent figure in the Southern Baptist Convention with a history of sexual misconduct dating back to the 1970s was still actively harassing younger men as recently as 2016, according to affidavits filed by two new accusers this month in the case against 87-year-old Paul Pressler.

Duane Rollins filed the initial lawsuit against Paul Pressler, 87, in October 2017, accusing his former Bible study teacher of sexually assaulting him several times a month over a period starting in the late 1970s, which became less frequent through the mid-1980s.

One of the former appellate judge’s accusers, Toby Twining, 59, says Pressler led him into a sauna at his ranch, a frequent site of Pressler’s Christian “men’s retreats,” and grabbed his privates.

But the other, Brooks Schott, suggests that Pressler may have been harassing younger men as recently as 2016. Schott, 27, accuses Pressler of inviting him into a hot tub naked with Pressler when he was employed at Pressler’s former law firm.

3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why did you use it to support Female Clergy? Were Jesus and Peter and Paul unable to reach any women with the Gospel?

From another topic:

4. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Proverbs 20:19 NASB] 19 He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets, Therefore do not associate with a gossip.

[2 Corinthians 12:20 NASB] 20 For I am afraid that perhaps when I come I may find you to be not what I wish and may be found by you to be not what you wish; that perhaps [there will be] strife, jealousy, angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances;

:(

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I accept the 1967 date without looking back to check. Patterson gone from Southwestern, yes. Pressler accused, yes, which may or may not turn out to be true, but even so these things do not discredit the thousands of sincere Southern Baptists who thought their convention was going in the wrong theological direction and wanted to stop the drift and used their votes to do so.

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm trying to juxtapose the claim of power grab against the makeup of the convention.

If the majority of the congregations were against liberal theology, and they must have since they had enough votes for a takeover, then why didn't the previous leadership represent the members?

• Like Like x 2
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Politics should reflect our religion. Jesus is here, on earth today, in His Church. I suspect he would tell Christian's they can't serve two masters.

It does not matter if I agree or disagree with you. I am not the standard.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Bro. JonC,

Is this an accusation that the SBC is becoming "an amalgamation of church and world?"

If so sir, please put forth some proof. I know that your proof is seen through your perspective so please examine that too if you can dear brother. You are loved although we may not agree on your prejudices. But then again I have my own!! LOL! What concerns me is the prejudices I know even know about myself.

Get back to me when possible.

sdg!

rd

#48 Rhetorician, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Brother,

I think not, that "Inerrancy is a very difficult topic to define!" Have ye not read the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy? Seems to do a fair job of defining it. Then again you may not agree with the statement. Your choice?

sdg!

rd

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As if inerrancy is the most important word about Scripture?
    Isn't inerrant a red flag term? Wouldn't it be preferable to understand the Bible as 'truthful' / 'authoritative' / 'both a divine and human book'?

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsensical. i quoted the Bible to support the role of women. ????

13. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm talking about charges that will be pursued in American courts. Do you accept our form of justice/

14. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, at this point a change of direction seems to be taking place. A moderate was elected president of the SBC for the first time in 30 years. I assume by your statement and especially since the vote wasn't even close that you accept the will of SBC churches and will follow it. correct/

15. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree that Christ's perspective would be that we need to serve him and not a political party as lord. I believe that we should speak out on moral issues but never associate the faith with any political party or candidate. Statement like "Democrats can't be Christians" are not in line with the true gospel.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, brother, it is not as accusation the SBC is becoming so. I believe the SBC has always been (to some extent) an amalgamation of church and world as it is not the church.

As evidence of what I view as an increasingly worldliness, I'd offer its treatment of Patterson and the "me too movement". Perhaps this is just a coincidence (I actually think it a bit past time for Patterson to step down), but it seems odd to my suspicious mind that the issue corresponds with the worldly ideas expressed in the movement (not that the church should ignore issues). Perhaps I could ignore this if it was not the resolutions on immigration that also followed suit. Or the resolution of the dignity of women, or on abuse, or on renouncing the heresy called the "curse of Ham" as justification for racism. Or in 2017 the resolution on defunding planned parenthood (which I'd agree with), and on the anti-gospel of alt-right white supremacy. Or even the SBC declaration that Christians should not fly the rebel flag (I could not care less). I also believe that support for Beth More as president of the SBC was political and reactionary.

Do you know what all of these have in common? Every one of these resolutions are reactionary - not to an event but to the world's reaction to an event. As such, I believe it nothing more than political maneuvering. What the SBC should be doing is taking BIBLICAL stances out front.

If flying the rebel flag is a sin then the SBC should have come out long ago and said so....not waited for the political bandwagon. Same with abuse, racism, planned parenthood, etc.

I hope this helps (and, for the record, my church membership is at a SBC church. I've moved and am looking for another, but this was a very godly church....I'm not bashing SBC churches in any way).

#56 JonC, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. It is one thing to say that the democrat platform is evil and another all together to say that Democrats can't be Christians.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are dishonest in your conversation.
    Yes, you did.

My acceptance of our form of justice is irrelevant. You are repeating slanderous gossip about a Christian brother for no purpose but to discredit him because you disagree with his theology. I should not need to tell you that is wrong. Jesus already did many times.

"Democrats cannot be Christians" was said by no one except you. The message was no Christian can support the pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, pro-deviancy, pro-injustice platform that the Democratic party has currently embraced.

Time to shake the dust off and leave you.
    Whatever "Way" you are "Following", I want no part of it if it is based on denying what you said, gossiping about people you disagree with, and embracing abortion and the LGBT agenda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, there are elements of the Republican platform that are evil as well especially those which would take away necessary support from the needy.

20. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Many times here the Christianity of democrats has been denied.