1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Self-righteousness in Christianity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Just for the record, that is not what I mean by manliness being distinct from femininity.

You probably already know this, but my point is not that women ought to just stay in the kitchen.

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thank you for this.

One of the more popular attacks against me is that EVERYBODY thinks I am a jerk.

When guys like you say stuff like this it kills these guys.

I can appreciate that this will not get you elected to class president of baptistboard.

That's what makes statements like these principled as opposed to being designed for affirmation. Though I affirm it, it will draw you more detractors than fans.

I appreciate it.

God bless!

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, I know that. I've never heard you say anything like that! Although I might actually make some cookies tomorrow! This discussion gave me a craving! :laugh:

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

6. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ding Ding Ding...!

Here's the simple sitch...Luke isn't perfect. (I'm not either)

Luke CAN be INSUFFERABLY arrogant....(I can too)
    Luke KNOWS he can be "arrogant"....many who curse him do so with self-important and self-righteous indignation....

Luke has apparently read C.S. Lewis's wise words in the Screwtape Letters and taken them to heart..when the demon insisted that he ALWAYS REMIND his subject of how "humble" they've been.....
    I have never forgotten that...Lewis' admonition that when one has truly arrived upon "humility" to make sure that the subject becomes aware of it and says to himself something like: "By JOVE!!..I'm truly humble!!!"...

My Hyper-Cal friend Luke is wise enough to have taken Arminian Lewis' warning when it came...and he is ever the better man for it..One thing Luke will NEVER insist that he is, is more "humble" than you...and that makes him all the MORE so...
    Selah

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh, actually, although I didn't state it, because I was just messin with you and I didn't have time to spell it out, nail it down and/or figured you you'd make the connection (I got A's in logic too, btw :smilewinkgrin:)...BUT concerning the point and truth wasn't relative:

First, in basic math I would agree with you 2+2=4 - ALWAYS TRUE!

BUT, I presented Truth in that math problem which was is in fact relative to a manmade sytem ("PEMDAS") of algebra, IOWs if you solve the problem according to those strict rules then 1 is true BUT many people will find 9 true due to different formulas - the answer is relative according to one's preselected manmade systematic rules of interpretation -ONLY. 9 is also logical truth but relative to different formula.

Likewise, for instance, a Calvinist has a manmade system (TULIP) of theology, they interpret soteriological problems (questions) according to those rules - their truth is relative according to sticking to those rules. WIthout those guidelines to stick by they may very well see things differently - duh - but those "rules" (TULIP) are not to be violated when they interpret - their "truth" is relative to holding to a pre-existing formula.

Calvinist see verses such as 1John 2:2 through the TULIP rules and thereby work the interpretaion within those standards - Their "must be truths" are clearly relative to a "system", like algebra.Someone like Luke might say he his answer logically true - but I would conclude ONLY according to to his system, ot relative to the TULIP...

BUt nevermind. :type: It wasn't that important, I was just testing you... :smilewinkgrin:

#87 Benjamin, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amy.G
    Yes I can! I'm thinking a batch of snickerdoodles is in order for tomorrow! I may even put a dab of raspberry in the middles. Now I'm hungry![/QUOTE]

Now you are talking:thumbs:We will let you keep posting if you bribe us with snickerdoodles:wavey:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a novel idea! They would be perfect for the job, don't you think? :D

#89 kyredneck, Feb 20, 2013
  10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I don't think this thread has been useless...it has not been ONLY biting and devouring...there are a few lines of argument that are actually helpful...

BUT...these types of threads also bring out the worst types of exchanges, which regardless of the extra words and subtle intentions...end up sounding like this:

Person A: You're a hypocrite.
    Person B: No, You're a hypocrite.
    Person A: No, You're a hypocrite!
    Person B: No, You're a hypocrite!
    Person A: Well yes, but I admit to being a hypocrite, and you don't, so that makes you more of a hypocrite.
    Person B: Well I admit it too, but you are more of a hypocrite than I am for thinking your are better for admitting your Hypocrisy.
    Person A: See, that attack proves your a hypocrite!
    Person B: What! You're proving yourself to be the hypocrite!
    Person A: No, You're the hypocrite!
    Person B: No, You're the hypocrite!
    (repeat ad nauseum).

Is it too much to ask, what real benefit these types of exchanges have? Regardless if you feel that such a person has a mouth that "must be stopped"...does this strategy work?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me send that post to your daughter.....I will bet a Drill Instructor would be frightened.

Personally Id try reading & contemplating Proverbs 31

#91 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 20, 2013
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WE ARE ALL HYPOCRITES!! Therefore I find the entire thread entertaining :smilewinkgrin:

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully, page 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.