1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should I Leave the Southern Baptist Convention?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, good to know.

2. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I will come out and say it since I was told this in another thread: Should I just join an Independent Baptist Church? Wouldn't such a church fit me far better?

Also, because of the women in leadership positions thing alone, my pastor has said it would probably go against my conscience to stay at my current church. I remember he told me that, and I think he is right.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would depend on the IFB church. They are all different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That probably just means I have to start looking. Does anyone know some churches to recommend other than the two Reformed did? I still have to look into those two churches too.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or.... start one emphasizing the distintives you believe to be important. Then if you become successful with getting it off the ground, you can experience having other people criticize you. :Biggrin

Brother, what goes around comes around! :Wink

• Like Like x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I felt the same way when Penn State removed Coach Paterno' s statue.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not really. My church uses the 1963 BF&M confession.

That is not supposed to be the purpose of the BF&M. It is not a creed, but a confession. It is directed to outsiders to explain the basic points of view of the majority of the members of our Baptist church. It has only been used as an "instrument of accountability" for certain denominational employees who are not politically secure.

You missed all the discussion, heated language and controversy surrounding the confession nearly 18 years ago. I lived through it and participated in it. What you are looking at are people who generally accept the 2000 BF&M. Many of us don't, and those still hold to the 1963 BF&M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven, I must join some of the others in finding your posts to be confusing with little clarity. You have never responded to the scriptures I provided on POTS.

1. I don't think you are an Arminian. It's seems you prefer kind of an eclectic mix. That will always cause some doctrinal problems.

2. No birth control. I can agree it's a real problem if it is a deliberate. Dr. Al Mohler wrote a great article regarding deliberate childlessness:
    http://www.albertmohler.com/2005/06/07/deliberate-childlessness-moral-rebellion-with-a-new-face-2/

There are good reasons to limit one's family size. Ever heard of Tay Sach disease?

I am the Director of Music at my church. It's an executive position, but I do not attend the meetings of the Elders.

I hope you will find peace.

9. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I don't see the problem because my perspective increasingly makes perfect sense to me. I am increasingly secure with most of my beliefs, which when taken together leaves me fairly extreme in Christianity. However, I view these things as clearly attested to by the bible and thus proper doctrine.

As to your points I'll just come out and say it is guys like this that make more and more sense to me:
    Calvary Chapel and Maranatha Music

Menno Simons is also my new go to historical theologian.

I am finding more and more peace over time as I search with all my heart for the Lord, our Father in heaven's truth. I think my real issue was honestly spending so much time in that TULIP debate, which is the one theological issue that never seems to end in my mind. It robs me of peace really, but I must understand it to find out what the playing field for predestination and free will doctrines are as attested to by the bible.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven, you are in way over your head. I suggest a break.

11. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

For the most part, this church rejects women leadership, birth control, charismatic following and is strictly Arminian. It's also KJVO to 'da max.

Caution they do believe in vile words:

He has been banned by at least 6 countries, for hateful rhetoric.

#51 Katarina Von Bora, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  12. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists believe in Individual Soul Liberty. Therefore there are probably no 100% alike Baptists. Each Baptist will have his specific quirks and beliefs on secondary issues, however the primary issues (I.E Christ is THE Son of God, He died on the cross for our Sins and is THE only way to Heaven) are what unite Christians in fellowship.

I think you ought certainly define what your own beliefs are on secondary issues, but I would not break fellowship over primary issues.

Ex: I go to a Free Will Baptist Church even though I lean more towards Perseverance of the Saints. The agreement on primary issues, combined with the Bible based teachings, and the fellowship of other Saints makes me stay despite secondary issues.

"Unity in necessary things; liberty in doubtful things; charity in all things"

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe our doctrine should encompass two different lists of distinctives. First of all our core beliefs:

1. The verbal inspiration of the Scriptures.

2. The virgin birth and deity of Jesus.

3. The substitutionary death of Jesus.

4. The resurrection of Jesus Christ.

5. The second coming of Christ.

Once you have those 5 fundamentals you can move onto the next set of distinctives:

1. Biblical Authority

2. Autonomy of the Local Church

3. Priesthood of the Believer

4. Two Ordinances

5. Individual Soul Liberty

6. Saved, Baptized Church Membership

7. Two Offices - Pastor and Deacon

8. Separation of Church and State

After that, all else is peripheral.

I have some preferences. Things I prefer but which are not a reason to avoid fellowship or membership over.

1. Byzantine based bible translation.

2. Conservative music, traditional psalms and hymns and spiritual songs.

3. Expository preaching.

4. Particular Redemption.

5. Closed communion.

6. Seminary educated pastoral staff.

7. Discipling of new converts.

8. Strong, bible based, youth program.

9. Compassionate outreach to help meet community needs.

10. Reconciliation, not condemnation.

14. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brain is stressed out on theological stuff for now, which says a lot as I was halfway to an MDiv specializing in theological studies a few years ago. I am thinking of relaxing, letting ideas percolate in my brain, reading religious literature, and just responding to threads instead of making new ones unless its an easy issue to me. Nothing adventurous like my last few threads.

15. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, is this stuff associated with Way of Life ministries? He is openly hateful (Matthew 5:43-48), he is openly hostile (Matthew 5:21-26), he is uncontrolled (Galatians 5:22-23), and he forgets to have a good reputation with outsiders (1 Timothy 3:7); among many other verses, from his pulpit.

#55 Steven Yeadon, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you are asking, you are probably one foot out the door brother1 I'd say, go, and don't let the door hit you where the where the naturalness of your body split you1

17. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, most of us are Calvinistic and Armenians are at times excluded from Ordination because they lack a full understanding of grace. There is no priesthood of the believer at that juncture. Personally I prefer Mr. Wesley as he does not endorse either saying keep on preaching the gospel fellas. When either systems are used it seems to me they end up in the new heresay saying I am saved with no walking in Jesus steps. Keep on preaching the gospel. Jesus saves, Jesus saves.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, what?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think even the most zealous 5-point Calvinists in the SBC will readily admit that they are not in the majority, and Armenians (nor Arminians) are excluded from ordination in any systemic way.

Ordination is a local church activity, and I'm sure candidates sometimes are not ordained for doctrinal issues, but I've never heard of anyone being declined ordination for being Armenian or not being a five-point Calvinist.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would someone be denied ordination for being from Armenia? :)

• Funny Funny x 1