1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Men Make Profits From the Discussions of Theology??

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by T Alan, Dec 23, 2014.

1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Well, ITL, in this thread you entered it first, made a sensible observation which solicited dialogue, then Reverend came in took a jab, then you came yapping right in behind in agreement and antagonism.

YES I deny that. I posted a "Thread" asking what forum members thought of "Images of Christ; Sacred or Sacrilege?
    During that thread, I did post my opinion in regards to those images supposedly being "Jesus" and being propagated by the "Church".

YES, I deny that. I posted a thread asking the members of this forum if they thought there would be "support" of a grass roots movement to "reform" The "Birthday Celebration of Jesus" by moving it to another day apart from the current "Santa Claus and "trappings"" In that thread I did post my opinion to that.
    YES, I deny that, I posted a thread and asked "Could someone here please give me the Scriptural basis for ministering to people by age group? "

I "answer" questions posed at my opinion, I often disregard those interwoven in personal attack.

compare this "question" that you asked versus what you posted earilier that was supposed to be a question.

#41 T Alan, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You posted this thread, titled, "Youth Ministry; Man Created not Biblically Mandated"

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2174341&postcount=1

3. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Indeed that was the Title of the Thread. The first comment I made in that post was:
    Could someone here please give me the Scriptural basis for ministering to people by age group?

It seems that this is a method that attempts to mimic the teaching model established by public School systems.

Your accusation was that I said: "having Youth groups are unbiblical". A misquote and mis representation on your part.

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain the nuance between "unbiblical" and "not Biblically mandated"...

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see several ways the original question could be understood. Is it right/wrong to make money by:

1) providing a venue for Christians to have discussions

2) publishing or televising discussions between theologians

3) selling one's own opinions, in the form of books or videos and such, for Christians to discuss

I have no problem with Christians offering a venue or service to other Christians, and making money. Dating sites, discussion sites, storefront, cafe, bookstore, whatever. If people use it and the owner makes money, good for the owner.

I do think some pastors and teachers are simply peddling their message for gain, in their books, DVDs, etc.

Truth shouldn't be for sale. That makes truth accessible only to those who can afford to buy it. That said, I don't believe most books are making the author rich.

Publishers probably make more money than the author, and I believe most Christian authors are more than willing to share their insights for free

6. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Which by the way, I do believe as I do not see in any of Pauls letters an "age" division addressed. But that is My OPINION of what I read in the Word. I didn't start a "THREAD" demanding that someone or anyone take my position as their position.

7. T Alan

T Alan New Member

This would be well suited for that thread. Not this one.

8. T Alan

T Alan New Member

JamesL, I appreciate you posting your thoughts. The OP was specifically addressing; People making profits from sponsoring sites, like this one, that allow Christians to discuss theology.

It was not, I don't think written as to include those that sell their own DVD's or CD's.

9. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I personally, take the position that "for profits" venues should NOT be held for the discussion of Theology.

10. T Alan

T Alan New Member

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Matthew 10:8

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not seeing "discuss theology" in that list.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That thread has been closed. Just take a stab at it here. I don't think anyone will object. Besides you started the thread, you have some leeway.

What's the difference between unbiblical and not biblically mandated?

13. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I find no biblical troubles with "covering costs"as long as the "costs" are reasonable and not excessive. Travel, lodging venue cost and perhaps a gift to the speakers for whatever they need. In short don't turn it into "selling Jesus" or marketing the word of God for profit.

#53 T Alan, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  14. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Perhaps later, I would prefer to keep this "on topic" as much as possible until exhausted.

15. T Alan

T Alan New Member

"freely you have received, freely give" was a "general thought" to all they were given by Him and what they should do with what they were freely given.

freely can be taken as freely in cost and/or freely as liberally applied.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You mean the people that probably spend their full time work managing sites like this and others? Should they do it for free just for the joy of watching people fighting on here?

I've gotta say, I doubt they make a ton of money. What they do make is probably not what they could make actually working in the computer world.

I help run another site that is on this same server and let me just say that it's not easy. The money that potentially can be made is really not a lot.

17. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I have no clue as to the amount of money generated by such a site as this. I will stand by my position that "discussions of Theology" should not be a "money maker" for any one, particularly a "Christian". Lot's of work of the LORD is not easy and is not for the squeamish.

Again, the Gospel nor the discussion of it by those who have been gifted by it should be "sold".

18. T Alan

T Alan New Member

They "should" do it for the Glory of God. To help the less learned to learn. "Fighting" should be kept to a minimum by each person. Debate over issues is what its about and has been about since the birth of Christ. (not Christmas, haha)

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was to a specific lot of 12 men only (and later 70). These men at least one instruction that we are given the opposite of today. "Don't go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans."

Our instructions are to go into the whole world - teaching, preaching (the shed blood of Christ), and baptizing.

They were told to go to the Jews alone and preach that the kingdom is at hand - similar to what John the Baptist preached. NOT the gospel of the shed blood of Christ and salvation because Jesus had not died on the cross yet.

When Jesus said, "freely you have received, freely give...", what was He talking about receiving and giving?

• the supernatural power to heal the sick,
    • cleanse the lepers
    • raise the dead
    • and cast out demons
    The hadn't earned this power and authority were were freely given that authority. They were not to hold back, but to freely and lavishly exercise these gifts to the relief of the people and so that they could see the power of Christ on them.

I believe it also meant that they were not to charge money for the exercising of these spiritual gifts.

I'm not sure how this passage can be connected to men and women whose life's career and life's calling by God is sharing the gospel through various means that do not possess these supernatural gifts.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor. 9:11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?
    12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?
    14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.