1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Men Make Profits From the Discussions of Theology??

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by T Alan, Dec 23, 2014.

1. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I would love to be supported by the Ministry of Jesus, so that I could devote more time to the same. But, for now, I have a skill and practice my trade. I still devote much time into the ministry of Jesus. If I want to feed my family and have things I do what I can other than trying to profit from what I do know, about Theology.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that admonition would apply to the people sharing their thoughts, not the people providing the venue. We've received life freely, and shouldn't charge others to hear about Christ.

The people freely receiving are the ones reading the comments. They're not obligated to buy anything from the advertising

I've had an opinion on matters like this, stemming from a childhood perception. But have encountered some change in that opinion.

In the church I was raised in (back in the 1970s), there was one pastor til I was about 7 or 8 years old, who groomed the man who would take his place.

The former was a locksmith who was self employed. I remember discussions about his salary in business meetings. He accepted no salary, reasoning that he earned a good living in his trade, and felt no need to burden the church.

But the church members kept insisting he be paid. So eventually he accepted a $100.00 per week salary, which he put back in the offering each week.

The next preacher was also not a full time pastor, working at General Motors. One of the first issues he took up was about his salary. He asked for $500 per week, then not long afterward asked for a raise to $650.

This was in addition to a good salary at GM.

Hearing a lot of the arguments in those meetings shaped an opinion in me that lasted over 30 years. Nobody should make a dime off this thing we call Christianity

When I owned a remodeling company, I cut prices for churches - to the point of losing money sometimes. And felt that's how it should be.

But once, at my own church, they wouldn't have it. They insisted on paying full price. I still snuck in a discount, though.

But I really did have an imbalanced view, and that has started to change some. I still do an enormous amount of labor work at our church for no pay. I invest time as our bible study teacher and Sunday School teacher, too. I also advise our pastor, who receives a salary. And he's one who is learning in our bible studies.

But God has really impressed upon me that my opinion on such matters may bind me, but I am not allowed to try to bind up others in the same fashion.

I am willing to work, work, work, and teach, teach, teach. All without pay. I use a One Year children's bible for Sunday School curriculum, which I buy out of my pocket. And I'm ok with that. And I'm ok if others don't.

I have a buddy who co-ops work with me. He's an associate pastor at his church. His church needs several thousand dollars worth of electrical work, and I told him we should go do it for free. He looked at me like I was stupid. What?? Free??

But the reality is that we have different views on money, and that's ok. Maybe that's a strength of mine, and I can help him grow more. But he's also got strengths in areas where he can help me grow

#62 JamesL, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I know my husband runs a web hosting site and earns enough to pay for the computers, the server locations, the domain names and certainly not enough to pay for the hassles he has with hackers. Like many men, he waited until last minute to go shopping for me and he was going to go on Tuesday afternoon. But instead, he spent the afternoon battling hackers trying to hack into a mission board website that he hosts. Literally, thousands of hits in a minute trying to get in.

The owners of this site deserve a wage for what they put into this. If one doesn't feel they should earn anything, then they should stay away from their business. It's an easy fix. If no one came here, no one would make money.

4. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Missionaries deserve a wage for what they do. Some put there lives on the line for Christ. Many pay their own way.

You said it rightly and what I'm objecting to. The selling of Theology as a business. Funny how the closer to home something hits the louder the shout will be. Ann I have always found you to be sensible but "It's an easy fix" is like saying "It's my football, I make the rules of the game if you don't like it go home".

5. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I don't see the "hosting" of websites to make money off the "Christian" discussing Theology and work of the Church to be any where near equal.

I do see your point and I agree with you. You give where you are led. BUT, doing work for a reasonable price for your labor and expenses is apples and oranges for "Marketing Jesus".

BTW, are you or your buddy a State Licensed Electrician? Shouldn't you be to do "electrical work"?

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to have a view which said Christians shouldn't be making money off Christians - in any capacity. Teaching, construction, food, didn't matter. That was my connection.

My buddy is a licensed electrician, and we are each insured for $2 million. He pulls the permits, we share the work, and get paid individually from the company we subcontract from. I'm allowed by both states we work in (Ks & Mo) to work under his license.

7. T Alan

T Alan New Member

I got it. I was the same way for a long time and still, seemingly much like you, have no problems doing "things" for the Church. I was baptized in 03 and thought that people did things for the Church, like you say, without charge. It wasn't long before I learned that the piano player was paid, the grounds keeper was paid etc. etc.

As for the electrical thing. It wouldn't fly in Ga. You would have to be a 'partner' or employee of his in order to do it.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you, by participating in this board, are a hypocrite.

9. T Alan

T Alan New Member

and a fool by continuing to allow myself to, again and again, be subjected to your thoughts.

But hey, it is what it is. Huh? It's the LORD's Day. :wavey: