Should pastors be required to know original Biblical languages?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever spoken face-to-face to your pastor and told him all the false things you have said about the NIV over the last 15 years here on the BB and other sites? If not, why not?

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he agrees with many of my concerns regarding the 2011 edition, as he also sees the 1984 one as superior, should have never been "updated"

3. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your pastor believes lies? I sincerely doubt it. He can actually read the text for himself before he believes your reckless allegations.

I guarantee you that your pastor does not promote the idea that women should be leaders in the church and home. Because the text of the NIV refutes that notion as much as the NKJV as well as the NASB.

Plus, you have contradicted yourself. You have acknowledged that your pastor preaches from the 2011NIV. Since that is the case, why would he regard the 1984 edition superior? Why would he think that the 1984 edition should not have been updated?
    You have left yourself open.

I don't think your pastor is the hypocrite here. But examine yourself. He would be shocked at the totally untrue statements you have made against the NIV for a decade and a half. I think church discipline is in order for you.

4. Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In answer to the OP.
    No. They should not be required to know them as that would be adding to Scripture which plainly lays out what the pastors requirements are.

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he would have stayed with the 1984 Niv, but the 1984 edition itself ceased being made, so left him to use the revision. He likes some of what was revised, but not into that gender inclusive stuff they went whole hog into!

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not required, but would see it as being preferred!

7. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said that you gave your boys the NLT in the past. Now whether that was the 1996, 2004 or 2007 edition, you do realize that it uses far more inclusive language than the NIV. I have demonstrated that time after time again. Why would you give your sons Bible translations that use even more inclusive language than the NIV? That is, you think it was used to an inordinate degree in the NIV. You hold that to be a firm principle. Why are you so inconsistent about this? If the NIV was wrong --why go to a more extreme case? Did your two sons get contaminated from using the NLT? Did all that inclusive language warp their minds? Did it cause them to think that women are to be elders and pastors? Did it cause them to think that women, not men, are to be the heads of their homes? If the answer to the last for questions is no, then you are a hypocrite.

8. Washad Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "See it as being preferred".
    Perhaps for a select few. A pastor is to be a guide in the believers walk with the Lord. The Bible, in english, is absolutely able to guide man into a healthy, growing relationship with our Heavenly Father.
    I am suspicious when a man stands in the pulpit and says the translators say this but even better would be... Why trust you over them? Why would a pastor cast doubt on the accuracy of what is written?
    It seems that those Baptists responsible for this romish view of only the "educated" clergy should or even can "accurately expound the Word" have the burden of proof as to why they believe this is the case.

9. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Easier for them to read and understand when they were children, but they have since graduated to the Niv 1984 edition!

10. Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please answer each of the above? Be honest and straightforward. (Snicker,snicker.)

Why did you give your sons a Bible translation that uses more inclusive language than the NIV?

11. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be nice if posters would address the original topic instead of presenting yet another Rippon-Yeshua cage match about the NIV. Just sayin'.

12. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ::eating popcorn and watching sparks::

13. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should pastors be required to know original Biblical languages?

i didn't read all the posts - too many divergences.so this may be redundant.

a formal education in Greek and Hebrew - not necessarily.
    I did and i am very glad that I did. if you are called to the pulpit or teachers seat go for it if you can.

and why is it not necessary? because of the micro-processor computer and its power.
    extensive systems of apps are available for sale and even online with no fee such as the Blue Letter Bible.

Commentaries rich in original language knowledge, historic and cultural backgrounds and interpretations are at hand. famous and/or renown sermons (e.g. Jonathan Edwards, John Bunyan, Spurgeon).

Interlinear bibles, lexicons, dictionaries, historical narratives, Christian fiction (e.g. Pilgrim's Progress) etc...

Hundreds of English translations with all the nuances illustrated as well.

still a background including a formal education in the bible languages is best and you will never regret it.
    Even self taught is good but can be dangerous. Get good grammars and lexicons for your base.

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they both now use the Niv 1984....

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Niv 2011, as 1984 Niv was fine!

16. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many here seem to be reading my OP as saying pastors MUST do it, but my contention was that they should be required if say getting Seminary trained!

17. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again IMO its not necessary BUT GOOD TO HAVE nonetheless.

18. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While it may not be necessary for a pastor to be trained in biblical languages, it is strongly recommended. There is no virtue in willful ignorance. A pastor or teaching elder should be as equipped as possible. No reputable seminary should grant a bible or theology degree without at least some biblical language training. Of course, there are notable exceptions. Missionaries who train indigenous men to minister in local tribes and villages may not have the opportunity to offer training in Greek and/or Hebrew. In those situations, you have to roll with what you got. But here in the States, Canada, and even most of Europe? Biblical language training is offered as part of D-Min/THM programs and even undergraduate bible degrees. In fact, in most cases, Greek and Hebrew are required courses.

Over the decades I have come to realize that the pastor is not necessarily the most knowledgeable person in the local church on biblical matters. Individual Christians have a responsibility to study the Word for themselves. I know many men who can run circles around their pastor and elders on matters of theology. But at the same time, these men lack the ministerial graces necessary for being a pastor or elder. In my opinion, each and every Christian should be as knowledgable as possible when it comes to the Word of God.

19. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Required --NO
    Should be self-motivated to -YES
    Which car mechanic would you trust with your car?
    • The one with the roll around Snap-On Tool Chest or
    • Tne with just a hand-carried tool kit.
    Both may be able to fix your car. But the one with a larger set of tools could do more easier than the one with just a tool kit. To me, the man with at least a working knowledge of Greek just has more tools in his homiletic tool kit.

20. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 12:50 AM Pacific.