1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should terrorists be Mirandized?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

They want to win an election more. That's why I've said before that the abandonment of Christian good sense in this election and the last is nothing more than idolatry that shows that a lot of folks calling themselves evangelicals care more about winning an election than they do about winning souls or anything else.

2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

We follow the Constitution. Doesn't matter if we have video of the man doing this atrocity.

See, we don't get to play Constitution when it comes to 1A, 5A or 2A then throw it out because some terrorist blew up some people and then pick it back up later. Nope. We stick to the books.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as the crime was done on our soil and the person is being prosecuted by the civilian justice system the answer is yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding the bolded -- how are you going to know it was for the purpose of war if you don't follow due process? And due process includes Miranda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's remarkable watching those that cling to the Constitution in one argument readily toss it out for convenience in another argument. It's just so typical of this board. Rev Mitch. and RD2 have both cried about Kaepernick disrespecting the flag. Rev even called it unAmerican but the Constitution...we'll just pretend the foundation of our country doesn't exist for this situation.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is unfortunate, and I feel badly for you or anyone wrongly placed on a no fly list! Still, there is national secutiry to consider, and at least in America you have a chance to appeal that decision and get it over turned! At least I hope you did?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've read about the no fly list, getting de-listed is convoluted and expensive. And that's if the DHS even acknowledges you're on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Squire. I know if it were me on that list, I'd be fighting mad. If it took an attorney, or a corral full of attorneys, I'd seek a fix. I understand they are helping us, but if what you say is true, that is a crime. I'd even be camped out at my senators office, although I don't like Boxer or Pelosi, I'd be civil, and grovel and beg.

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still not finding a better "use of time" huh? Can't see beyond the liberal eyesight you've been blessed with, huh? Takeoff the blinders. That Constitution excuse and argument can only be used so often. In times of war, the enemy is not accorded the same rights as an American. I believe the internment camps showed this to be true, and let me see .... oh, right, it was a three term Democrat president that made that call. Hopefully the cat won't have your tongue in finding a response to FDR's attempts to protect American's. Right or wrong, at the time, it made sense. Hindsight is often better, but at that moment in time, it made many feel safer.

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you DON'T get to appeal the decision. I was stuck on the list for nearly four years until I realized how to force the US government to conduct an investigation of me - I applied for a concealed handgun license. After that process, I was removed.

But here's the thing... being put on the list didn't make the US safer. It simply caused problems for a good citizen. Moreover, we are coming very close to violating the essence of who we are as a nation if we continue down this road. If we don't believe in "innocent until proven guilty", protections against self-incrimination, habeas corpus, religious liberty for all, freedom of the press, etc., then we have become traitors to our heritage as American citizens.

Terroristic acts cannot destroy the United States. They can hurt us, but they cannot destroy us. However, terrorism does not try to destroy. Terrorists seek to get their enemies to react in ways that suits their agenda. The fearful citizens of the United States are trying to get the rest of us to play into the hands of the terrorists by shutting our doors to Muslims who refuse to be radicalized and won't go along with an extreme version of Islam. They have been quite successful at getting vocal US citizens to militate against the refugees. They also want to destroy our example of liberty for all and our free society. That actually seems to be working as well.

I refuse to be a traitor to the ideals this nation was founded upon. I refuse to let fear dominate the way I live my life. I refuse to undermine the God-given rights of other people in hopes that I may be marginally safer.

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was advised that it would be considered "suspicious behavior" and would be considered a sign that you are trying to hide from the government - I'm not kidding.

And that would be "suspicious."

The issue is simply that it is extremely difficult to prove that you are not planning to do something against the US government in your mind. That is why the burden of proof in criminal cases is on the prosecution.

I faced the issue of how to force the US government to actually do an investigation of me without making my status worse. When I was checking into a concealed handgun permit, I realized they have to do a full federal, state, and local investigation to make a decision on whether or not to grant a permit. They cannot simply ignore it. I was concerned that they might think I was planning something, but then realized that government law enforcement officials (who are more connected with reality regarding guns) know that criminals do not seek to be compliant with firearms laws. So I took the chance. My permit was slightly delayed, but granted. The next time I needed to fly - about three months later - I breezed through.

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well to be truthful brother, I don't know you, but I'd think you were a candidate for a no fly list to. You seem rather suspicious (just kidding) :Roflmao to me! Glad you can fly again. Of course, I hate flying, so had I known your problem, I would switched places with you gladly!
    :Whistling