1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Songs and doctrinal correctness

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though the Scripture reference is to the AD 70 destruction.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I was not aware of the story about the story you mentioned.
    To some extent, we should all be theologians
    As I have said in the past - We know what we believe - the challenge is that we do not know Why we believe it.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One last thing. Compare the substance of the Gaither's song with the King of Glory who permeates the words of Psalm 24:

24:1The earth is the LORD’S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.2 For He has founded it upon the seas And established it upon the rivers.3 Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? And who may stand in His holy place?4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood And has not sworn deceitfully.5 He shall receive a blessing from the LORD And righteousness from the God of his salvation.6 This is the generation of those who seek Him, Who seek Your face--even Jacob. Selah.

7 Lift up your heads, O gates, And be lifted up, O ancient doors, That the King of glory may come in!8 Who is the King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, The LORD mighty in battle.9 Lift up your heads, O gates, And lift them up, O ancient doors, That the King of glory may come in!10 Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, He is the King of glory. Selah.

I am not saying there are not times for feel-good, sappy songs. I am suggesting that such times are not when the body of Christ gathers on the Lord's day for worship.

Have a blessed day!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Likewise!

We may disagree on some doctrine - but that is okay

The most important doctrine is salvation by grace thu Faith

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Rolleyes Why would anyone want to sing a song about that? Our Lord wept over it (Luke 19:41-44).

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, you seem to be saying the Gaither song does not fit with the rapture, yet Reformed/Herald/MorseOp, you're claiming that the Gaithers believe in it.

The Gaithers pushing pretribulational dispensationalism? Huh? Please substantiate that howler.

#26 Jerome, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually, what I said - was that the song is not doctrinally correct - whether you believe in pre/mid/post tribulation
    Activities are not going to cease.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, not you, another poster is suggesting the Gaithers are pretribulational dispensationalists!

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the main reason why I choose not to sing certain songs used during congregational worship. I think the dearth of sound theological content in worship music is directly tied to the lack of theological content from behind the pulpit. Everything starts with the preached word of God. Man shall not live by what? Every word that proceeds from the mouth of God (Mat. 4:4).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you sing it without noticing the words?

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all, but the song is singing about our blessed hope and redemption:

Yea, amen! Let all adore Thee
    High on Thine eternal throne;
    Saviour, take the power and glory,
    Claim the kingdom of Thine own;
    Halleluiah......
    Everlasting God come down!

and it is also a warning to unbelievers in the congregation to repent, turn to Christ and 'flee from the wrath to come,' because it hasn't come yet.
    To sing about AD 70 is to sing about a past event over which the Lord Jesus wept and in which hundreds of thousands of people died. No thanks!

12. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was surprised not to see any replies - please listen & comment.

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me, a song does not have to be theologically strong so long as it is not theologically wrong.

14. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Paul gives us a guideline when he says:

“Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.” (Philippians 1:15–18) (KJV 1900)

• Like Like x 1
  15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now wait a minute. I thought that elsewhere we established your bonafides as one who knows about dispensationalism, but this makes no sense at all. Where in the world does "The King Is Coming" tout anything dispensational? I was always puzzled by the song, wondering whether it was pre, mid, post, or what, but I have never a single time listened to it and thought, "Aha! Dispensationalism!"

I'm beginning to suspect that the word is simply a pejorative to you, and nothing more. "Aha! That guy has lousy theology. The dirty dispensationalist!" :rolleyes:

16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Brother Robert said about The Old Line Primitive Baptist and their song service, having led song service over 35 years... I may pick a song to sing or anyone in the congregation can select one... He is right the songs we sing are according to our doctrine in our denominational song book... The preacher will sometimes ask for a certain song before he goes to preach and the song leaders will oblige... He may select the closing song too... One other thing to keep in mind, we all sing without musical instruments... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it is important to consider the influence of the writer.

The writer of, “There is a Fountain” strayed into universalism, yet before his death repudiated such thinking. While living, I would not have sung the song. Now, few associate the author’s testimony with the song, so the lyrics win.

Writers associated with Hillsong and the Gaither’s are highly problematic, for the testimony of the association may allow for some to be snared into Satanic delusion.

Hillsong is particularly dangerous, and yet many Baptists are deceived.

Many years from now, when Hillsong is no more and the influence of that organization is no longer dangerous, then perhaps doctrinal lyrics may be used.

I think it is so very unfortunate that popularity drives music selection in churches.

18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Double post