Southern Gospel Fans

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by patrioticcamerican, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    Anyone here a Southern Gospel fan?

2. dianetavegia Guest

Oh Yeah! Love it!

3. Gina B Active Member

ME ME ME! :D
    I brought some cd's with me, but I seriously miss walking into church and not hearing it or singing it, or even that twang in regular hymns.
    LOL I just sighed out loud without meaning to. There's something to be said for good ole country gospel! (and yes I have that cd too)
    Gina

4. FBCPastorsWife New Member

I used to be. We can only pick up one Southern Gospel station and it has totally stopped playing good music. All it is now is twangy country sounding junk. I have to listen strictly to my CDs of the Kingsmen or Greater Vision or the Cathedrals.

5. izzaksdad New Member

Love Southern Gospel! We have had several groups come to our church for worship services.

6. SaggyWoman Active Member

7. Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    FBC Pastors Wife (and everyone else too),
    Have you ever listened to station WOAK online? Open up Windows Media Player, do a search inside it on southern gospel stations and click on WOAK; (there is a slow speed for dial-up connections and also one for broadband). They have great music on in the evenings from 9:30 to midnight on weekdays. They play music throughout the day between programming as well, but I especially enjoy most of the music that they play at night. You can also find a link to WOAK on my website, www.patrioticcamerican.4t.com. I had trouble getting the station to come up without opening Windows Media first though, because of some other program that came pre-installed on our computer.

8. Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    I like the Cathedrals too! I especially like their song "For What Earthly Reason." Do you know if they ever sang a song, I only heard it once and I thought it sounded like the Cathedrals singing it, "There's a Rainbow" (it may be titled something slightly different). Do you know anything about it?

9. Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    I also like the Inspirations.

10. delly New Member

PA, the Cathedrals are my favorite all around group. They never sang anything that wasn't awesome. Some of the best harmony God ever created. I guess you can tell that I love Southern Gospel music. In fact, that is what I have sung all my life.
    My favorites besides the Cathedrals are Greater Vision, The Primitive Quartet, Gaither Vocal Band, Ivan Parker, the Dove Brothers; just to name a few. All my radios are set to one station, FM 93.1, the Good News station in Jackson, TN; a member of the Grace Broadcasting network.

11. FBCPastorsWife New Member

PA...my husband said he is almost sure the Cathedrals sang a song like that. The name of it eludes him at the moment though. If we can recall it we will let you know.

12. dianetavegia Guest

Can He? Could He? Would He? Yes, Can He, Could He would.. He DID!

I love the song 'If He Hung the Moon' and yes... I know the torment of the songs writer but the song serves to remind us that God is bigger than any sin or any vice if we only give it over to HIM.

13. delly New Member

My fav Cathedrals song is "Sinner Saved By Grace".
    Remember the chorus:
    I'm just a sinner saved by grace.
    When I stood condemned to death
    he took my place.
    Now I live and breathe in freedom
    with each breath of life I take.
    I'm loved and forgiven
    I'm back with the living
    I'm just a sinner saved by grace.

The song was written by Bill and Gloria Gaither for George Younce and actually about him.

14. Gershom Active Member

One of my favorite Cathedral numbers is their a cappella version of "Wonderful Grace of Jesus."

15. Rookiepastor New Member

I love Southern Gospel Music myself. It is my favorite.

The sad thing is, most of the giants have been called home.

The Cathedrals no longer exist... however, Ernie Haase and Signature Sound and Legacy Five both do a great job of carrying forward the quartet sound.

The Dove Brothers also do a wonderful job of carrying forward the true quartet sound.

Oh for the days of...

Jake Hess, Big Chief, J.D., Hovie Lister, James Blackwood, Rosie Rosell... oh my... the days of the Stamps-Baxter school of music.

The radio stations in our area do not play Southern Gospel, usually we get the CCM... I like some of it, however, give me four part harmony and a piano anyday.

God Bless

16. Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    I have CD's of the Cathedrals songs Wonderful Grace of Jesus and Sinner Saved by Grace. I didn't know it was really written for George Younce. I love hearing George sing! Champion of Love was a pretty good song too.

FBCPastors Wife thanks for checking on the song info for me. Would it by any chance be called "Rainbow of Love"? I looked on the internet at Cathedrals albums and that was about the only Rainbow song I could find...there was one other and it was called "He made a rainbow of my tears."

There used to be a classic Southern Gospel program on in this area on a station that normally played CCM but had a 30-60 minute show on Saturdays of the old quartets. I looked forward to it every Saturday, although after I had listened to it for so long, much of it was the same music again, but that was OK. Check out WOAK on weekday evenings. It has some of those classic quartets. I like the Legacy Five song "Heroes of the Faith." I got the album basically just because of that song.

Thanks for all the replies everyone...keep them coming...I love talking to other Southern Gospel fans. How do you all feel about bluegrass gospel also?

17. delly New Member

PA, I love bluegrass gospel also. My fav in that category is Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, although there are so many good groups. Tonight I went to my sister's house and on the way back listened to a cd by David Johnson. No singing, but some of the best bluegrass gospel ever played.
    I like the Isaacs and Ricky Skaggs.

18. amazinglove92 New Member

I do not like southern gospel, sorry.
    I find their lyrics kinda weak in comparison to CCM. Come on Rainbow in the Sky, Glory land way. Kinda weak. Now I know CCM has its weak stuff but SG just irks me!

19. Rookiepastor New Member

Wow... I guess it is just a style of music preference... but have you ever heard the following songs?

'When He was on the cross, I was on His mind" Florida Boys

I'll Worship Only at the Feet of Jesus - Gaither Vocal Band

Wedding Music - Catherdals
    I Thirst - Catherdals

God on the Mountain - McKameys

Midnight Cry - Ivan Parker

There Rose a Lamb - Gold City

Love Grew Where the Blood Fell - John Starnes

The Lighthouse - The Hinsons

All of these have great messages.

Casting Crowns has some good stuff out there, very powerful... the message is almost as powerful as some of the better southern gospel music.

But to each his own.

God Bless

20. amazinglove92 New Member

I know they have good lyrics in some of their stuff, but I am kinda bias comparing CCR to SGR.