1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spiritual Interpretation....pt3

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What you post here supports the idea that this warning was for first century Jews who were to flee the NT period of persecution that was coming upon them between66-70 ad.

Not you bring out 1 cor10:32 as if this is a major text.....but it is not.
    It speaks of......unsaved jews,....unsaved gentiles........and then the church of God...Jew and gentile,as one new man In Christ. Nothing to see here.

[Personal attack edited] It does not matter if they read a few prophecy books or not.maybe a study of the book of James is in order before your calendar gets adjusted.

#121 Iconoclast, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong again. Dispensationalism teaches that the Olivet discourse is fulfilled in Daniels future 70th week. Look up the straw man fallacy.

I see that you have a [edited] method of skirting things and ignoring them when they don't fit your bias. I asked why Paul distinguishes between Jew, gentile and the church if they are the same entities? Why can't you answer this? Is it because you are wrong and Jews, gentiles and the church are separate entities?

You make a really bad case for your view if you have to constantly skirt rebuttals to it.

[Edited]

And most or all of your allegations are completely false accusations and propaganda.[Edited]

Now let's cut the ad hominems and get back to the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#122 Jope, Apr 22, 2017
  3. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. One can understand the letter of the New Testament, but it is useless without the spirit of it.

4. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I replied to Mt. 24.20 and Deu. 30.3. Perhaps you should reread my posts as well as Mt. 5.22.

#124 PrmtvBptst1832, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is ONLY though a single Second Coming event though, and the dead in Christ shall be physically raised, and we alive glorified to be with Jesus, and that has not happened yet, for that is the Blessed Hope!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that Amils and Pre Mils should close ranks in order to heed over preterist type theology creep into our churches!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book of revelation describes things happening in the end that involve whole Earth, as God wrath judges world systems and sinners, and that was Not AD 70!

8. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh sorry I can't read them because I've edited them for being loaded full of logical fallacies like red herrings and straw men to name a few. Darn editing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rememebr that we all see thru the glass dimly my brother!

10. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not cite this to bolster my own opinion because even though Justin Martyr, as well as many others, were clearly Premillennialists, he mentioned others in his day whom he esteemed to "belong to the pure and pious faith and are true Christians" who differed to some extent. Whether those he mentioned were Premillennialists who only differed on certain particulars or if they advocated something similar to Amillennialism, no one knows. What we do know, at least from this dialogue, is that he did not call those who were not persuaded of what he believed as "clowns," "complete fools," etc. "In essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, and in all things charity."

Trypho: I remarked to you, sir, that you are very anxious to be safe in all respects since you cling to the Scriptures. But tell me, do you really admit that this place, Jerusalem, shall be rebuilt; and do you expect your people to be gathered together and made joyful with Christ, and the patriarchs, and the prophets, both the men of our nation, and other proselytes who joined them before your Christ came? Or have you given way, and admitted this in order to have the appearance of worsting us in the controversies?

Justin: I am not so miserable a fellow, Trypho, as to say one thing and think another. I admitted to you formerly, that I and many others are of this opinion, and [believe] that such will take place, as you assuredly are aware; but, on the other hand, I signified to you that many who belong to the pure and pious faith, and are true Christians, think otherwise...But I and others, who are right-minded Christians on all points, are assured that there will be a resurrection of the dead, and a thousand years in Jerusalem, which will then be built, adorned, and enlarged, [as] the prophets Ezekiel and Isaiah and others declare.

(Dialogue with Trypho, Chapter 80)

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who hold to the Second Coming having been done AD 70 are foolish...

12. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One who believes that is not a Christian. Period. In my humble opinion, Preterism is dangerous in that, if followed consistently, it logically leads one to deny the (future) coming of the Lord and resurrection of the dead. However, not all Preterists affirm that. As for their inconsistency and illogic, they must sort that out for themselves.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would hold tojsut a spiritual resurrection, but how is it possible for that to be, since we will be as He now is, and He was raised back to life in same Body that he died in?

14. PrmtvBptst1832

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most Preterists do not deny the resurrection of the dead. Those who do, redefine it to be wholly spiritual in nature and not having any reference to our bodies. We know that is obviously contrary to the scriptures and what the church has always affirmed. In the resurrection, the natural body is raised spiritual (1 Co. 15.43) as to quality, but not substance. Note the comparison Paul makes between "natural" and "spiritual" in 1 Co. 2. Our Lord had flesh and bones, and a spirit has neither (Lk. 24.39).

15. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it high likely that Jewish Christians living in Jerusalem in the first century before AD 70 would have observed the Sabbath. May thousands of Jews became Christians as recorded in Acts.

Agreed.

Dispensationalism may teach that, but the Holy Bible doesn't.

Gabriel prophesies the saving work of Christ will be finished in the appointed 70 weeks - most agree that that means 490 years, as the 70 years has been referenced by Daniel. Depending on our understanding of v. 25, the 69th week takes us to Jesus baptism or possible his entry to Jerusalem. I understand the 69th week to begin at the start of his ministry. The 70 week will then cover the 3 1/2 years of ministry & the 3 1/2 years from Pentecost, ending with the Jewish leaders being denounced as "uncircumcised" (Acts 7:51) & the conversion of Cornelius & other uncircumcised gentiles.

Jesus was confirming the covenant for the "week" of his ministry together with the Apostolic preaching. He was cut off in the middle of that 70th week. All that remained, after the 69th week, after the 70th week during which the covenant was confirmed, was the destruction. Jesus alludes to Daniel's prophecy to warn about the destruction.

For dispensationalism to separate week 70 from week 69 & insert 300 weeks is a total violation of the prophecy.

Gabriel did NOT say, "hundreds of weeks, unspecified....." He said:

“Seventy weeks are determined
    For your people and for your holy city,
    To finish the transgression,
    To make an end of sins,
    To make reconciliation for iniquity,
    To bring in everlasting righteousness,
    To seal up vision and prophecy,
    And to anoint the Most Holy.

Or did Jesus fail in any aspect of the prophesied saving ministry?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Himself stated that some of his answers were to be fulfilled now, and in the future, as at His second coming event, correct? So its ad 70 AND second coming, not AD 70 was it!

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Jope,

I have forgotten more about dispensationalism than you know.I know all about the false teaching offered on Daniels 70th week.
    Philip Mauro answered that back in 1920 and you have not seen it evidently.
    I answered your big 1 cor 10:32 already...you quoted it...so you read it...I cannot help if you lack ready comprehension

The moderator keeps editing your posts, because of rule violations. Get ahold of yourself before trying to post.If you continue to post like a jerk, I have no need to interact with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where?

19. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @John of Japan - do you agree with Jope? Surely a literal 70 sevens should end after 490 years - in the 30s.

Was Gabriel mistaken? Or was Jesus? Or Peter?
    Acts 3:24 Y.es, and all the prophets, from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold these days. 25 You are sons of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’ 26 To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.”
    Many thousands, including a great many of the priests believed in those first Gospel years. Why should week 70 be yet future?
    Acts 6:7 Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.​

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where does it say this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.