1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Start Praying in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by plain_n_simple, May 13, 2013.

1. awaken

awaken Active Member

I take it that you can not refute my post????? Because only comments like this come out when they do not know how to defend there theory in light of the Word!

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Awakend...

Thank you for alerting me about the wrong post. I got confused somehow I guess. Thats what I get for posting when tired!

I went back and fixed it.

Awakend

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I don't have a theory. I have scriptural facts that have been believed since the first century. It is you who follow inventions of occult-inspired teachers from 1900-1905. Your doctrine was unknown before then. But keep denying the plain truth of scripture. The end result will not be pleasant.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism in/of the HS was a promise made to JUT those Apsotles/Disciples of jesus, as they were to have the HS come in His new work upon the earth at Pentacost, to iniate in Church Age, so when he came, gave tonues to demonstarte that he was here now, and gave tongues like fire, and did signs and wonders to demonstrate that Jesus was/is messiah/lord, Gospel true, messengers from God!

ALL that done by him at pentacost, since acts, going forward, we ALL have same HS come upon and indwelling us, ALL have some gift, ALL have same 'experience" of receiving Him!

ONLY command is to be continually refilled by HS, as jesus said that we ALL shall be His witness, ALL receive the HS and empowering, NOT just those who have tongues and "baptism!"

6. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

The speaker was speaking in probably street Greek and the traveling salesmen in Jerusalem were understanding or hearing in their own language. The speaker was speaking in his own language and the hearer was understanding in his.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we can't yield to the Holy Spirit if we deny the empowering (gifts) of the Spirit.

I'll let the Spirit decide if we need the gift of tongues. I have not needed it, nor has it been manifested through me. Regarding prophecy, I think you have a different understanding of prophecy than I have. Prophecy is simply speaking an empowered word from the Lord about a specific issue. Pastors and preachers do it all the time from the pulpits on Sunday morning, as well as other times.

The exercise and manifestation of the gifts allows us to minister much more effectively.

Yes, but if you deny His empowering gifts, how will you be a conduit of God's power?

This sentence is so mangled, I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Obviously, we need to submit to the lordship of Christ and cooperate with the Spirit for transformation and empowerment. The guy in the Youtube video in the OP is way off base. But just because there is widespread confusion and false teaching about spiritual gifts doesn't mean we dismiss spiritual gifts altogether and assume anyone who exercises spiritual gifts embraces heresy. That's just foolish.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On what biblical basis do you dismiss the "sign gifts"?

Aren't there situations where God may want to authenticate the gospel through signs to his people and those who have not yet entered into the Kingdom of God? In my experience, it happens a lot more than most "churchy" people realize.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALl christians have a gift, its just that tongues NOT for today!

Sign of infilling of the HS in a saint is love/living for jesus, effective witness, NOT what tongue/gift exercising!

prophesy in local churches in Apostolic Age were direct revealtions from the HS unto Christians, but now we have the bible, so he speaks thru us in that more sure Word!

You "hope" that a tongue/prophesy is really of the Lord, we KNOW that it is in Hid word!

biblre states ALL have SAME HS, ALL have a Gift from HS, ALL have the power to live for Him and be witnesses, so how can denying tongues today affect ANY of those truths?

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

This is fairly strait forward from the scriptures...

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No.

A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign.

Signs are for weak or wicked people.

People who have a faith worth having see God in the opening of the red rose as much as they see God in the opening of the Red Sea.

Tongues was never gibberish.

The Bible says tongues would cease when the complete revelation came. It is here. Tongues have ceased.

And, as I said above, even if they continued they would not be mindless gibberish but rather they would be the ability to speak in real languages that one has never learned.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're wasting your time.

This person believes what she wants to believe and no amount of reason or scripture is going to change that.

These folks are not led by reason or scripture anyway. They are led by emotions and feelings and conjured experience.

On top of that, they NEED this fake stuff. They NEED it. They could not believe faithfully without it.

For them to allow you to convince them that it is bogus would be for them to allow you to convince them that there might not even BE a God.

The reason they keep believing in God altogether is because they go to church or their "prayer closets" and feel things that they convince themselves is the Holy Ghost.

So this belief in this mess is so precious to them that they would NEVEr let it go- not if Jesus himself came and told them otherwise.

So, you are wasting your time.

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Bottom line is that I believe you are right.

They use these "experiences" like a drug, and they become addicted. The simple truth and promises of the Gospel are not enough for them.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The context:
    This is pre-cross. He is speaking to Jews. The Holy Spirit had not come yet. It would be the same as David asking the Holy Spirit asking for the Holy Spirit to come upon him. There is no difference. As it is pre-cross, consider the OT dispensation. It is totally irrelevant to either the baptism or the indwelling or the filling of the Spirit. This is a good example of Scripture taken out of context. But that is par for Charismatics.
    Copeland preached a sermon using the text in Mark 10 on the rich young ruler, showing how one can be rich!! Totally opposite of what it teaches! You do the same thing.
    BIG Mistake!! If you think you are God's child and you have to ask the Father for the Holy Spirit, then:
    1. You are not God's child.
    2. God is not your Father.
    3. You are not saved, and you have much greater problems then asking for the Holy Spirit.
    And that makes the teaching of this OT verse null and void. The Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost. We don't need to come to the Father and ask him for the Holy Spirit. If you do, then you are not saved. You have greater problems.
    Because Pentecost had not yet come. If you have to ask for it now, you are not saved.
    The Holy Spirit came at Pentecost and since then is given to every believer. At the time that Christ said this not every one had the Holy Spirit. Now every one does. If you have to pray to the Father for the Holy Spirit, you are not saved.
    And he was referring to Pentecost, wasn't he. The Holy Spirit came "not many days hence" as he said it would. That promise was not for us.
    This is all history. It happened.
    No, it is not empowerment, as you say. It is indwelling. Empowerment comes from being filled with the Holy Spirit. We are commanded to be filled with the Holy Spirit; never commanded to be baptized with the Holy Spirit. These "acts" were one time events in history as the gospel went out to the Jews, and then the Samaritans, and then the Gentiles, as Christ said it would in Acts 1:8.
    That is not what the passage says. And that is not the context of the passage, a context which you conveniently ignore. Nowhere in Matthew or in Luke does it say he will give you the baptism of the Holy Spirit. You are reading into that passage something that is not there.
    If you still have to ask for the Holy Spirit, according to Luke 11:13 then you are not saved. You were given all of the Holy Spirit you need at the moment of salvation, when you trusted Christ. That is an OT verse written before the cross. Did you live before Christ died?

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

What??? Where do you get that from scriptures? Or is that just an assumption?

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have stated what I believe and you have stated what you believe! We just don't agree!

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

As others have post in previous post....it is a waste of time to futher discuss this! We will never changed each others mind! So those that are content to not manifest what God says we can! Then continue on in your walk with God without it!

As for me...I will continue on walking what I have been and seeking a closer walk with my Lord! May you all have a wonderful journey with our Lord and Savior!