1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Starting a Men's ministry

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by milby, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN? Just because someone holds a different view or expresses it differently you have NO RIGHT on the BB to ask this and question the salvation of another member.

I am amazed at the callous language and flippant disregard for the most precious gift we have; salvation.

:BangHead:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wholly agree. :(

3. mandym

mandym New Member

He lead the first discipleship program

He lead the primary church planting program

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:applause::applause::applause:

Good answer!! Good answer!!

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you have ever done those they are much more than a program. Could you point out how those are programs? What is your definition of a program? Lots of churches have all the right programs and are dying. It is not about prorams who is leading a program, but about who is leading people.

When Jesus gave the qualifications for being a disciple how is that a program?

Lk. 9:23, 24, "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it."

Lk. 14:26, 27 26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

#25 gb93433, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  6. mandym

mandym New Member

Jesus did more than just give a qualification He engaged in discipleship. You seem to have your own definition of what a program is that most people would likely disagree with but the focus on programs is not the problem. Programs are just tools. They can be effective or ineffective. They can be godly or misused. But just to condemn all programs as inherently evil and unbiblical is without merit and off base. Any organized set of activities with a goal is a program. "Go ye into all the world" is a program.

#26 mandym, Feb 5, 2011
  7. milby

milby Member

See, this is why I want to lead our men in some kind of "ministry" so that we can help each other stay focused on The Lord and glorify him. It is so easy to let the world begin to bring you down and you lose focus.

Before you know it you are stooping so low that you are arguing with another brother about whether or not he is a Christion and what each others definition of a "program" is. :)

8. mandym

mandym New Member

If you do not want to debate different views then forums in general may not be your thing. We can have a discussion with different view points without it being an argument. And if you are going to condemn other people you might want to use spell check while you do it.

9. milby

milby Member

Axually I did knot want to debaight inything. I jist wanted sum advise abowt startin a mens ministree. :)

And I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was condemning you, I was just trying to get the thread back on track.

Keep spreading the Joy mandym

10. milby

milby Member

Good advice annsni, I appreciate it. Any suggestions on which book to start with?

11. mandym

mandym New Member

Well it would have most likely been easier to just say that. Hope you get it going!:thumbs:

12. milby

milby Member

you are right. I apologize.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

#33 mandym, Feb 5, 2011
  14. mandym

mandym New Member

:wavey::thumbs:

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey, I'm a woman. I don't know men's books. ;)

It really depends on what the goals of the group is. Are you looking to be better men? Better fathers or husbands? Get more solid in the Scriptures? Go over doctrine? That will help decide what book you would do.

16. milby

milby Member

Then what the heck are you doing giving advice to men! Just kidding:laugh:

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm a woman!!! I'm a busybody!! ;)

Actually, a good place to find out about books is Tim Challies' blog. He is a GREAT reviewer and reviews hundreds of books a year. I'd bet you could find something there.

www.challies.com

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just finally got a hold of hubby (he's been working on worship for tomorrow) and he suggested "Man in the Mirror" by Patrick Morley (not sure if that's the right spelling or not) and he said that "Point Man" looked good too.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. Program are just tools just like a hammer pounds nails. Hammers do not get homes built. Where did I ever condemn any programs. No program can ever come close making disciples int he same way Jesus did.

Over the years I have dealt with many who have gone to church, been involved in programs and then once I start meeting with them they learn how to share their faith and make disciples. Right now I meet with a pastor's son teaching him how to make disciples. I meet with two other pastors teaching them to make disciples in their own church. They have never met with anyone one on one. Al they know is working a program and their churches are dying. I also meet with the son of one of the leaders I inherited. He was not even reading his Bible except on Sunday. The leader's wife just started meeting with two young ladies. She has never made disciples and went to a very good Bible school.

People follow their examples.

Do we want staff led churches full of programs or do we want to train people so they can lead others everywhere they go.

20. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

#40 JohnDeereFan, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011