1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Successful Evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 19, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said you and me WILL NOT nor EVER see eye to eye on this subject.

I simply pass out tracts and do open air preaching on the streets. Most of the people I never see again.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, there may be more truth to this than you realize.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is it you don't see eye to eye with?

Mark 4:7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

John15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And he calls that "invisible discipleship." Those invisible disciples get together and make up the invisible church. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It'd certainly go along with the invisible gospel that seems to have had an invisible impact on his life.

Heck....:Redface....sorry....darnet..., all Jimmy Swaggart did was get caught up with prostitutes and look at how much damage it did to his witness. Imagine an evangelist rebounding from abandoning his wife (who has cancer at that), wondering why he should pray for Democrats (they need all the prayer they can get), and being as self-centered as Creflo Dollar (born Michael Smith). Without true repentance this "evangelist" hasn't got a chance in Denver of being fruitful.

I think the issue here is having a gospel knowledge without the gospel Truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Successful Evangelism? See the book of Acts.

41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

4 But many who heard the message believed; so the number of men who believed grew to about five thousand.

1 In those days when the number of disciples was increasing,

7 So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.

6 When the crowds heard Philip and saw the signs he performed, they all paid close attention to what he said. 7 For with shrieks, impure spirits came out of many, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed. 8 So there was great joy in that city.

42 This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord.

47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

21 The Lord’s hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord.

1 At Iconium Paul and Barnabas went as usual into the Jewish synagogue. There they spoke so effectively that a great number of Jews and Greeks believed.

21 They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples.

That's halfway through the book of Acts. I do see mention of numbers of people coming to the Lord. I don't see much mention of "I'm just planting seeds and hope something happens down the road." I don't see much mention of preaching open air. I don't see much about passing out tracts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Can come to (Jesus)"; is the person saved before they meet Jesus? Or simply drawn (enabled)?

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think man. The printing press was not invented so of coarse you won't see tracts in bible times!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So until 1440 people were unable to evangelize people according to your logic. Amazing that the church lasted that long without people handing out tracts. Almost like they had to rely on disciplining people.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is by your design and intention. No excuse here.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quote nine Bible verses, list three types of unmentioned evangelism methods and you pick out the last three words of my post and ignore everything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never received a satisfactory answer to the question of why a Calvinist even feels the need to evangelize.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do it out of obedience and to the glory of God. In the book "Chosen by God" by RC Sproul near the end of the 1986 edition Sproul says that the main reason to evangelize is obedience. The fruit of evangelism is all of God and we do not produce this fruit because its God's fruit.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have yet to respond to it but make excuses.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think man!

1 Corinthians 3:6New International Version (NIV)
    6 I planted the seed,A)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-28417A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow.

Planting seeds is all in the Bible.

16. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quoting 9 Bible verse is an excuse? Well that is a new one.
    So are you actually going to respond to those 9 verses or are you going to keep deflecting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because God's word commands it.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The flaw is in the question. God is a God of means, not an old man in the sky (like us but only bigger).

The Calvinist believes that men must be drawn by God to be saved. But the way God draws men is through men. The elect will be saved. But they are saved through the power of the gospel. God’s grace saves, but this is a grace through faith. God’s purpose in salvation is accomplished, but it is through rather than at the expense of human will.

What anti-Calvinists typically do is set up at least one false dichotomy (from the perspective of the theology they are examining) and just start arguing. This is what has happened here. Calvinists believe evangelism is important for the same reasons Christians believe evangelism is important - how shall they hear without a preacher?

#38 JonC, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the point?

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith: