1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Successful Evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 19, 2017.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree there were no tracts in Bible times.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have asked Calvinists as to why they should evangelize. T.C. said, because God has commanded it.
    You reply with :"What's the point?" I find your attitude awful.

Is it a light thing to you to do what God commands?

You must believe that Calvinists aren't Christians. Or you must believe that Calvinists are on a lower plane than yourself because everyone knows that Calvinists don't really value anything the Almighty has commanded. So which is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Particular Baptist holding to all 5 points of TULIP. But Calvin was not a baptist and was wrong on so much I cannot, in good conscience, append his name to what I believe.

But you already knew that and just wanted an excuse to contradict me no matter what I posted.

I have searched and can't find where being a contrarian is a spiritual gift. :)

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the point in obeying God? Really?

I have never had a Christian ask me that question. This is a first. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he was a Christian not a Baptist!

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God draws men through men true, but some people around here place too much of an emphasis on men drawing men to the savior, that God is not looked at as sovereign in salvation.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes and on this you should well know. :rolleyes:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, of course, have the right not to call yourself a Calvinist. But we who do don't do it to honor John Calvin. It's just historically convenient to do so. I'm speaking of in an historical theological sense.

J.C. Ryle and A.W. Pink had no problem with the designation. The Puritan Fathers called themselves Calvinists. Matthew Henry, Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield and Charles Hodge didn't notice a handicap using the term. B.B. Warfield, J.G. Machen,and Gordon Clark followed suit.

You claim that Calvin was "wrong on so much" but you apparently do not like to admit that most of the doctrines he taught were certainly biblical. Spurgeon, kind of the King of Baptists, had largely praise-worthy things to say of him. C.H.S. said that in the main he was in solid agreement with Calvin.

I am a Baptist, but am in the main in agreement with the Westminster Confession of Faith. That's 90% or so. Of course the London Confession of Faith (1689) is even more suitable. But though the WCF is a Presbyterian document --it holds scriptural truth in a far greater percentage than you would be willing to admit.

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the point in witnessing to a person who was already saved at the cross? I am not question obeying God. I am questioning why you would think He is telling you to do something that is already done.

10. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

You are always at others about their spelling.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 3:1-6 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able,
    3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?
    4 For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men?
    5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one.
    6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.
    Read man!!!

1 Corinthians 3:1-6 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men? What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.

Paul preached to and saw these people come to Christ. He could not, however, speak to them as anything but infants in Christ. He gave them milk and not solid food for they were not yet able to receive it. Apollos watered what Paul had planted. Some are given as preachers, some as teachers, but none without fruit.

You have misinterpreted the passage. It is not about evangelism but about spiritual growth.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is our emphasis, to "win some" to "save some". Paul preached so that he "might have some fruit" not just out of mechanical obedience.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they are not saved until they are born again. It is the preaching of the gospel which the Father uses to draw them to Christ.

Of course you did.

So, you think every person on earth has already heard the gospel preached?

I don't know why you chafe at obeying God by preaching the gospel to everybody. But you need to carefully and prayerfully examine your heart. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does everyone who hears the gospel (are drawn) get saved?

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please post a quote from me indicating any such opinion regarding Calvin. He believed in infant baptism. I don't. Is that what you mean by making the accusation that I don't like to admit? How about the place of magistrates? Is that another place you accuse me of not liking to admit?
    And where have I ever criticized the WCF or that I am not wiling to admit when it is right?

Why the personal attacks? Nothing truthful and honest to offer?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have been through this. You reject that all those the Father draws to Christ, Christ will raise up on the last day.

So any further discussion is pointless until you accept what Christ clearly said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do know you stalk me and post silly one-liners to most of my posts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you answer this question?

Does everyone that hears the Gospel (gets drawn) get saved?

Yes or no?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First I actually came a cross wrong in that post. I meant it to be more humorous than serious. Second, nothing true about this post. I would be interested in your absolute proof of this accusation.

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am all for evangelism. I simply question why a Calvinist would see a need to evangelize.