1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sunday Attire?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 23, 2013.

?
  1. Sunday morning: Men - suits or at least dress pants, shirt and tie

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Morning: Women - Pant suits [no jeans], or a dress, skirt and blouse

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Evening: Men - dress slacks, shirt, tie optional. No jeans

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Evening: Women - same as morning, never wear jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Children and teens - same as parents for both services

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Mid week: Men - dress pants, shirt with or without a tie, no jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mid week: Women - Pant suits, no jeans, dress or skirts optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Children and teens - same as parents

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Pastor on Sunday - Nothing less than a suit and tie

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  10. Pastor mid week - dress pants, shirt and tie is optional

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What about people that wear a suit and tie to work every day? Also, was this also true back when people wore ties even to their neighbors house(think "I Love Lucy") or even when men wore suits to baseball games. Gasp, men used to wear the same thing to church that they wore to a ball game.

As I mentioned earlier, dress what you believe is appropriate. It has nothing to do with you spiritually. Saying we have to dress differently from other activities shows a major lack of the history of dress. We worship God(or we should be) every day in "non-Sunday" dress. God isn't displeased with that.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also shows that you don't see the difference between those activities.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Not at all. I do see a difference. I believe you missed my point.

Here it is again...

What about people that wear a suit and tie to work every day? Also, was this also true back when people wore ties even to their neighbors house(think "I Love Lucy") or even when men wore suits to baseball games. Gasp, men used to wear the same thing to church that they wore to a ball game.

My point is that there is a difference in going to a baseball game and gathering with other believers for worship. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I didn't. What I was pointing out is that there is nothing biblical in saying that one has to "dress up" to gather with other believers for worship.

People used to wear the same thing to work as they do church(and many still do). People used to wear the same thing to a baseball game as they did to church. Very different activities, but same dress.

4. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I don't believe you guys are the sharpest knives in the drawer, either.

A suit and tie to work? Huh. That's weird. Why don't they just dress casually, like they're going to your church? Oh, wait! I think I know! Maybe, and bear with me on this, but maybe they think the way they dress sends a message.

Well, good for them.

I'm glad you noticed. Going by your posts, I wasn't sure you could.

What is Biblical is that our attitude toward church should be reverent and that, in our culture, one way reverence is displayed is through the way we dress.

5. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The burden of proof falls on the person who is attempting to impose rules & laws on the Church. So, when a legalist says "you should be dressing up for church", it is on him/her to provide Biblical evidence for this new rule. Dressing for church is a matter of personal opinion based on persona experience & tradition. The idea of dressing a certain way "for church" is not in Scripture & reduces the church to empty religion. On the other hand, if I claim that there is no such law & that we are free to dress casually, so long as it is modest, there wouldn't be any Scriptural evidence to present.

I may not have Scripture which directs us to dress in any form or manner, but I can give Scriptural proof that God rejects the worship of those who impose their own man-made traditions on others as though they were of God. If you cannot support your imposed tradition with clear Biblical support, I would encourage you to quickly repent, beg God's forgiveness, & reexamine the condition of your own heart. I do not say this lightly, but in all sincerity based on the Word of God.

Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?....
    This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. ( Matthew 15)

#105 michael-acts17:11, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  6. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Where does Scripture say that we are to revere the church? That is straight out of Catholicism. We don't go to church, we ARE the church. Yours is a worldly view of the church.

#106 michael-acts17:11, Jun 24, 2013
  7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, I just don't care what you think of Biblical ecclesiology anymore. If you all want to act that way, knock yourselves out.

What you all do at your little ear tickling stations is none of my concern.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got a point Mike:thumbsup:

9. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The pharisees response to Christ on their imposition of man-made traditions & Jesus' response to them:

Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. (Matthew 15:12-14)

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh please...then why defend it? Listen I know that rattiling around in your thick head is the idea we must dress our best for the lord...so I would agree that its important to look your best for the lord...but why does that best have to be a suit and tie...why cant best be dockers and a nice shirt? Honestly nobody wants a confining suit & tie that makes the person uncomfortable. Anyway...with the ad Ent of business casual dress...its gone out of style.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I don't think anything is rattling around in your empty head.

I don't know. Why can't it? I never said it couldn't. You just assumed I said that.

I, personally, (and, yes, I realize that you're going to twist my use of the words "I" and "personally" to mean "all men everywhere"), prefer to wear a jacket and tie because that's the culture I was raised in. But I've never said that if a person's best is khakis and a nice shirt, that they shouldn't wear that. You just assumed I did because I disagree with you and you.

In fact, on Sunday PMs, that's usually what I wear if I'm not preaching. But don't worry about that. As long as I disagree with you, you just go right ahead and assume what you want to. I really don't care.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am glad you mentioned that. Perception and dividing the Word are two of your strongest points.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

really, you going to stoop to that?

Never said it didn't. My point is that you don't have to dress differently than you do during the week. I btw wear a suit and a tie to church. You assume too much. I wear one because that's what most wear, not because I'm trying to be spiritual or that if I didn't wear a tie I would be less spiritual or less honoring to God.
    My point is that we don't biblically have to dress differently from other activities. You keep missing the point.

really, this is my 3rd post on this board. you have a real attitude problem. Maybe you should stop worrying about you dress and look at your attitude. Nothing at all that I said even came close to me not seeing the difference in playing baseball and gathering for worship.
    Sure, no problem with that. That can be true. But what are you more concerned with, out culture or god. What does God look at?

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when you do it, it's clever. When I do it, it's "stooping"?

Fine. If you believe church is just like other activities, that's up to you. In your church, it probably is.

Careful with that beam in your eye.

I'm more concerned with showing reverence to God in a way that signifies reverence in our culture.

Like I said, what you choose to do in your little ear tickling station is up to you.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I don't do it.

I've never said that it was. In fact I just said that it was different. People that wear suits all week and suits to church are wearing the same thing. Of course i've already said this.

Case in point...

Then do it. That's good for you to do.
    What do you mean by "little ear tickling station"?

16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you did do it. I even quoted you doing it.

It's from a verse in the Bible. You probably wouldn't be familiar with it.

If you say so. But funny how it came up when I hit the "quote" button.

I didn't. Why are you all slandering me?

That beam's really stuck in there, isn't it?

Because I've read your posts.

I love the fact that you get mad that I say you probably wouldn't be familiar with a given verse from the Bible but, when then, when I refer to it with a phrase specific to that verse, you have to ask me what verse it is, thus demonstrating that you're not familiar with it.

Whatever he wants.

I agree. Your strawman was pretty stupid.

You're right. I haven't. But an awful lot of assumptions have been made about what I believe.

And that's bad...why?

If he's a big boy, he can wear whatever he wants.

#116 JohnDeereFan, Jun 24, 2013
  17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Sorry, but no. I've not done that to you.

Seriously, what's your problem? You have done it again. Why must you slander ones you talk to? Why would you think I'm not familiar with the Bible? Because I don't believe that me wearing a suit and tie to church makes God any more happy with my worship? And why do you think my church doesn't have sound doctrine? Again, because I don't believe that wearing a suit and tie means that God accepts my worship any more, you somehow think my church doesn't have sound doctrine. Talk about being shallow, and worse unbiblical.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing specific had been said so I might as well ask you point blank--what should a man wear to church?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

JDF reasoning: You should not wear to church what you wear during the week.

Conclusion: Attorney's, executives and suit salesmen either cannot go to church, or must wear tuxedos as to not violate 2 Johndeere 2:10.

This is beyond even the idiocy created by the pharisees.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, JDF has never specified what one ought to wear to church, just that it should be different than what one normally wears during the rest of the week and that it should show reverence.

So, JDF, what should a man wear to Sunday morning church service?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.