Take This Christian Music Test

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
  2. Mike McK New Member

But we're not talking about serving two masters. We're talking about your problem with people who enjoy a different kind of music than you do.

Now Playing: Jerry Jeff Walker – “Scamp”

3. Frenchy New Member

Ok so i am not dealing with a teenager or 20 something just someone who see's nothing wrong with listening to secular music like the Grateful Dead (boy was that group screwed up or what, drugs and alchol) and the like. so if you are saved you NEVER gave up your taste for ungodly music did you?

thanks for proving my point in my earlier post on why it is important that there be a difference not only in style but words also.

4. menageriekeeper Active Member

Sooooo, everything a Christian does must be overtly Christian?

While I'm not a fan of (nor had I even heard of) Rez Band, these lyrics you've posted aren't unChristian. Instead these songs are about injustice albeit with an artsy flare that seems attractive to young folks nowadays. Just what do you find unChristian about pointing out injustice?

Btw, I'm not a twenty something, either. More like a thi---okay I confess---fortysomething! :cool:

Hmm, never did see a reply telling me how I "distorted" the scriptures I posted.

5. MRCoon New Member

Mike definitely has some invested interest in the arguments. By the way, way to use all that time spent in college ;) (sarcastic humor )

It is funny...not an a 'haha' sort of way but in a 'shake-my-head-and-don't-quite-understand' way that you want specifics or scripture and there are more specifics and more scriptures used in this thread to even raise doubt about the CCM music let alone condemn it...yet you don't want to accept it. If someone presents 'evidence' you either throw it out as someone else opinion but seem to allow your links that are just someone else opinion...I don't get?

I guess I'm not as smart being just a Marine unlike you much wiser guys. So this is how I see it...The Bible tells me to be seperate, to come out from among them, to follow the Father even though it will be unpopular, to not be in the world...and a few other things. I don't see CCM as being too much more different than what is offered on MTV...and God's truth is supposed to be different than what is offered on MTV (thought I'd fill that link in for you ). This last weekend we had 3 Marines get drunk and get stupid...in 3 seperate incidents...one lost his life, one lost his use of his arm, and one lost his dignity...this is a sampling of my secular world/workplace. I must be different than that...in look, in speech, in music, in every facet of my life. Not in some weirdo way but in a way that is a testimony! Someone should be able to take a 'snapshot' of my life, my music, my speech, anything and be able to tell if I'm a Christian or not...that is my belief and my practice. If some one got into my car and turned on my radio they should be able to hear the right music period not have to listen for the message behind the beat or whatever. When someone hears me talk they should be able to tell something different by the words I use or don't use. If you won't accept the scriptures, if you won't accept the arguments, can you at least accept the testimony? Yes the Bible (OT & NT) is full of thieves, murders, adulterers...the difference is God used and blessed the ones that stopped doing that sin and followed God's description for being a Follower of Christ!

6. Frenchy New Member

For the record this was my main reason for the thread...You are right I would NEVER tell someone what they can or cannot listen too either. I said that before according to Romans 14 in several posts.

BUT I do expect the CHURCH and the CHURCH YOUTH GROUP to hold to higher standards than what we had experenced in a few churches. playing music labled "Christian" but yet was FAR from it. Do a search on Rez Band (thats a group) and tell me if that crap and stuff like it is fit and edifying for a youth group that MY children are in. NO IT ISN"T and the pastor even agreed with us on the matter but didn't have the whatever to do anything about it.

This is my beef not what one listens to in his own home but what is played in the CHURCH and what is handed to my KIDS at their Christian school.

With so many seeker services churches springing up this is the TOOL they use to draw the unsaved kids in with, music that sounds just LIKE THEIRS.

see where the problem is and why it is so prevelant and taking off more and more?
    SEEKER MOVEMENT!!!

well got to go make dinner for the family bye

7. Mike McK New Member

Yes, they were, but we're talking about what is wrong with Christian music, not what is wrong with the Grateful Dead.

Yes, actually, I did.

Before you start crowing about "proving your point", it should be noted that you still have not provided a REZ song about "killing babies", nor have you been able to back up your claim that REZ do songs that "glorify evil".

Now Playing: Little Brother Montgomery – “Chicago”

8. menageriekeeper Active Member

MRCoon, give me a scripture that says God's truth must be presented differently than other information?

Just who was it Christ came to save? The religious leaders of His day had the very same thing to say about Him! "How can you call yourself the Son of God when you're hanging around with all those SINNERS!!!!!"

9. Mike McK New Member

You're right. They're not fit for a church youth group but that doesn't mean that they're bad.

They do songs from a very rough point of view and very aggressive lyrical angle. That doesn't make them bad.

Now Plyaing: Gamble Rogers – “Signs of a Misspent Youth”

10. Diggin in da Word New Member

originally posted by Mike McK:

Yes, actually, I did.

[qb] [/QUOTE]

I can see ya got completely away from the ungodly music there, Mike...

Now Playing: Marcia Ball - "Let Me Play With Your Poodle" (What kind of christian title is that?)

Now Playing: Marty Robbins - "A Lifetime of Song: 1951-1982" (Didn't know that drunk was a christian... would have never guessed by the songs he sang.)

Grateful Dead - "Dick's Picks #11" (Jerry Garcia and the Boys were playing for the Lord all along? Wow!)

What's next on the agenda? Are ya gonna tell us that Ozzy Osbourne and Howard Stern are two of God's preachers?

11. pioneer New Member

12. Ransom Active Member

So . . . what's the "Jesus quota" a song has to have before it can be called Christian?

13. J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

CCM, generally speaking, makes me sick.

But on a lighter note...

Here's a test none of you will take:

Get up in the pulpit on Sunday morning and announce that there will be NO music of any kind, only preaching and praying.

See how many people get up and leave immediately.

Then announce that there will be no music until futher notice, only preaching and praying.

In two, maybe three, weeks your church will be nearly completely empty.

Moral: You better give your "converts" what they demand (entertainment) or else you will find out real fast how concerned about "winning" souls they really are.

1 Cor 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

J.D.
    Advocating the effectiveness of preaching and the worshipfulness of beautiful melody.

14. Mike McK New Member

Poodles are bad?

Just for trivia's sake, did you know that one of my dad's last professional gigs was on a wonderful Marty Robbins Gospel album called "What God Has Done"?

I doubt it, although they did do several Gospel songs.

Now Playing: Ricky Skaggs – “Sweet Temptation”

15. Ransom Active Member

pioneer says:

Here is a site that "spills the beans" as it were

This site purports to offer "[a]n explanation of why the minor key is 'sad.'"

Only problem: It isn't, necessarily.

It's too bad these self-styled experts on music don't seem to know the first thing about the subject.

16. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I like what I read in point #6 of the Book "Excuses, Excuses".

Jeremiah 10:2 'Learn not the way of the heathen'. Wow! says it all right there. The christian is not to learn the worldly music.

17. J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Frenchy, unfortuately, today you can't judge a person's age by their maturity. Ever since the 1960's we've been taught to HATE maturity, and that the old are in the way and foolish, so many of us AVOID letting go of childish things and like to pretend we're still teenagers or "cool" in some other way. Not like Paul:

1 Cor 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

1 Cor 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

J.D.
    Not 37 (49), no degree (like Spurgeon ), and not a D.J.

18. J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

BTW the message to the old folks in "emergent" or "seeker" churches (that's churches that are run by the youth group) is:

CHANGE OR GET OUT!

J.D.
    Gettin Old.

19. Mike McK New Member

Actually, this verse is referring to God's people taking on pagan religious practices. It has nothing to do with listening to music that SFiC does not approve of.

Now Playing: Babs Gonzales – “Weird Lullabye”

20. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Actually it can be applied to any way the heathen are walking, Mike.

Come out of her and be ye separate...