1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Taking a Bible to Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. Thousand Hills

3. Thousand Hills

When I started going to my current church I always brought along my favorite bible, a semi worn KJV large print, big and thick, and I knew it well. I seriously felt like some folks gave me looks as if I was trying to show off or something, or thought I was more spirtual. Sad to say I gave in to the pressure and started carrying a small print thin KJV, that isn't as imposing, but I can hardly ever find anything in it. Since I have other bibles at home and also look scripture up on the internet, I've always left it in either my truck or my wife's car, sad to say I never can keep up with it, and in the past year it seems I never have it with me, and end up using the bible provided in the pew, which makes me feel awful. In some ways its not a terribly big deal since our new preacher is more topical in his preaching style. I've decided I'm going back to my imposing thick bible that I love, and will just give a mean look back if anybody sends me negative waves. :saint:

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Why is this a big deal? It's preaching, not Bible study, and the always short passages are read out loud and projected on the big screen. We also have pew bibles that sit beside the rarely used hymnals. In a nutshell, bibles are not needed in a worship service. Having said that, I always bring my big study bible because I have just come from Sunday School. However, the only time I actually consult it is if I disagree with pastor's take on the sermon passage.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a sadness!!!!

How can an assembly be so cold to the very Word of God. Would they not read a love note if they really cared for that person?

But this is to be expected in the modern world as the assemblies consider the health and wealth is an indicator of all is right with God. All the while Christ stands without knocking on the door desiring entrance and real fellowship.

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Nope

I don't go to a KJVO church or even an IFB church. I currently attend (and have for 9 years) a moderate sized conservative SBC church. Wouldn't matter though....as long as they are reading the Word of God (yes...I believe it SHOULD BE the KJV) I wouldn't care if it was in book OR electronic form. I would prefer BOOK form but I know we have a whole new generation of tech junkies. They don't even teach cursive handwriting in our public schools here anymore. What a messed up world we live in!

Bro.Greg:saint:

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Good For You!!!

Hey...a few dirty looks won't hurt anybody....and if they feel intimidated by something like that they are probably quilty. As the old saying goes..."the stuck pig squeals the loudest!" Carry on Brother.

Bro.Greg:saint:

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

God, I hoped my spirituality isn't questioned based solely on the fact I very rarely take a bible to church with me. For whatever reason(s), a vast majority of ORB's......yes...including the women.......don't pack a bible in their arm as they walk inside the church. I really don't have an answer as to why we don't, but I don't feel hard at those who do choose to carry one to church.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is nothing more than Laziness!

The sheep have become so lazy that taking the Bible from the shelf or the table and carrying it with them to church is to big a chore. If this nation was denied the right to own a Bible, if would be a different story.

No wonder our churches are in such deep trouble. What a shame! No Bible means no objections to what the preacher shares on Sunday morning. There are no Bible carrying believers to follow along and protest or even object, when the preacher mis-interprets the verse he is teaching on!!! :tear:

The church needs more than a revival. It needs a wake call of supernatural proportions. What that wake call is, is beyond me. But, God will be sending a wake call, and it may not be to the liking of the congregation in general.

Thanks for sharing this truth. Of course, with the elctronic age in full swing, many could be using their Ipods or cellphone Bibles. That would be an interesting poll. Finding out if people are in fact suing electronic versions of the Bible to assist them when in church! However, frowm what you say, it doesn't seem like these folks are even using their phones and pads.

#29 righteousdude2, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sleep:

11. preacher4truth

Perhaps not bringing one is more Spiritual?

I'm glad 'you don't feel hard at those who do choose to carry one to church'. That's mighty swell of ya brother! :laugh: [​IMG]

12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

The trend in our church seems to be age related. Older folk, both men and women bring Bibles to church. Middle aged folk, seems to be women who most often bring theirs. Younger folk come in empty handed. (Yes, there are a few exceptions in each catagory.)

There's only 1 lady that I know who brings an electronic Bible. It's an older model and she uses a stylus. Haven't figured out why she does so much clicking when the message or Bible study passage is a short one.

As a side note, since I run the sound system, I have a bird's eye view over the congregation (from behind) on Sunday morning. Some who bring Bibles never seem to open them. Some who don't bring them, will open a pew Bible. And, some "play" with their cell phones starting with the opening hymn.

Scripture says we will know them by their fruit. Observing Bibles of those who carry them, makes for an interesting study of fruit. Especially over time. Which ones remain pristine and which ones are falling apart. Love to see a Bible (any version, Rippon) filled with bits of paper for bookmarks, cover taped in place, and all the other signs of wear and tear. Saddens me greatly to see one carried, that according to the appearance of its fruit, doesn't ripen.

Just some observations this morn, FWIW.

13. preacher4truth

I agree. There is nothing like seeing a believer wear out a Bible. To see new believers do this is great and encouraging. To see older believers still doing it is an example.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I am preaching through the book of 1Peter on Sunday mornings and this coming Sunday will be dealing with 1Peter 3: 19-22 by which it is EXTREMELY difficult to follow along and understand without Bible in hand while the preacher is preaching!!

By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water

Now, you turn these verses into something applicable knowing the people before you have no sword and shield to clang along with you!!!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My wife and a few friends of ours were talking over this, going to church without Bibles. Two of them came up in Pentecostal churches and said it was common for them not to bring a Bible to church, or spend much time reading one. They were more into what the preacher said or did than reading the Bible. I came up in a Presbyterian church and I don't know if you could get through the front door without one. If you came for the first time without one the church gave you one as you came in.
    Yes, I believe folks should bring a Bible to church, it would be nice, but more important is they spend time each day or week studying it while the Holy Spirit leads.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I got in trouble with the little old ladies class because I used an android to read the scripture from. "Preacher it looks as if you aren't using the Bible." Rather than fight with them I went back to a paper Bible. Sadly these dear ladies will be gone in a few years and there won't be a problem. Maybe we pastors need to spend a little more time educating our people about what the Bible actually is and why it is important to have the word, whether paper or electronic, and to use it while at church.

17. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

It has more to do with saving their spot than anything else. Take me for example...I often leave the bible I preach with on the pulpit, and bring my notes with me!

(Saving my spot :laugh:)

18. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

This may be off the subject, but you know you can still flip pages on most every e-reader, and some even have the sound of a page turning if you like! :thumbs:

19. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link. That's a pretty good app. It has been downloaded.

:)

20. preacher4truth

You're welcome. :thumbs:

It works great on tablets as well. You can add more commentaries, dictionaries, Bible versions, devotionals, topical studies &c at the second link all for free. I've even created an ESV module for mine which is unavailable for mysword.