1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teacher Arrested After Criticizing Superintendent’s Salary Raise

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by HankD, Jan 11, 2018.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel sorry for the teacher but also for the arresting officer for being brought in to arrest the teacher for expressing her first amendment rights.

BTW I don't know the political affiliations of those involved because it doesn't matter.

HankD

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crazy.

It's lawsuit time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was shown on the MSM news makes it look like a huge overreaction by the board chair and LEO. However, I've no idea what the meeting rules were concerning audience comment.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about Louisiana laws/rules. I can tell you that in our local district (in Texas) there is only a specific window when audience comments are invited/allowed. In our District it is called "Public Comment," comments are limited to three minutes (for each commenter), and individuals must register ahead of time their intent to address the Board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I
    I don't feel sorry for the officer. I contracted quite often with the school board for board meeting, ball game, school function, and event security. I told school officials many times "I am not arresting him/her."

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hmm, did he have that choice I wonder?

HankD

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I watched the whole video and the board didn't ask for her to be arrested. It seems that the guard/officer was overzealous in his actions. The board actually called on the woman and she was not speaking out of turn. The one guy told her he didn't want to hear it but another board member was about to address her when the guard/officer came to her to remove her from the room. There was NO reason for him to handcuff her or even touch her because she was complying after saying a few more words. I was going to side with the school board on this because someone said that she was speaking when she shouldn't be because it was not during a time for those in the audience to speak but clearly she signaled that she would like to speak and she was told she could. Again, I think this is all the fault of the guard, honestly. He was out of line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. A judge is the only official who can compel an officer to make an arrest.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beleive there are 8 board members - Five of them them were elected unopposed. Their term is up this December. If people are that upset - than they should be running for the school board this November.

Put your vote where your mouth is!

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one here knows what really went on, and photos and videos don't tell the whole truth. If you're having a meeting, and someone is unruly and holding things up, they can be removed. She was NOT removed for questioning a raise.

c'mon sheeple.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron How do you know she was NOT removed for questioning a raise? seeing you started your response with "no one here knows what really went on".

Just asking bro.

HankD

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't. At least he said he didn't...before he said he did.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . with respect to the officer. It's ludicrous to imagine he removed her on her own volition. You didn't see anyone direct him on the video, so you imagine he took it upon himself. A more reasonable suggestion is he was directed to by an official, and that wasn't on the video.

But I know the tendency of an offender to mitigate his crime and make himself a victim when he's rebuffed or otherwise having to give account.

I also understand how things go in a meeting. The discussion was an administrator's contract. If you want to talk about teacher's salaries, talk about teacher's salaries when that issue comes up.

What I know from the video is that she made her point and then wouldn't shut up. Okay, you object to his raise for whatever reason. You made your point, but the discussion and the upcoming vote is not about teacher's salaries. Sit down now. You won't sit down and be quiet? Time for you to leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I do know is that for her to be arrested for criminal trespass, which would at the time of his initial contact have been the only viable charge, a clear warning would have had to preceded the arrest. I have removed countless people from county commission and school board meetings. I never had to arrest any. When the presiding officer looked at me, I would approach the person. The presiding officer would then clearly state "you are out of order. Sit down." If they continue to talk, he would say "if you do not sit down you will be removed from city/county property and at the discretion of the officer charged with criminal trespass."
    It looks to me like the presiding official and the officer let an annoying person get under their skin and provoke an unwarranted response. I am guessing this marshall's full time job might be court security. Court has a totally different set of rules. The judge is the king and dictator in his court room. He can hold someone in contempt for about anything. I put a woman in jail one day for telling our chief judge "yeah" for a second time. He told her the first time she did it that "there are two acceptable answers, yes sir or preferably yes your honour. Do you understand?" She replied "yeah." It got her 48 hrs contempt. He was in a mood that day.

#15 Reynolds, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understood.

HankD

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Superintendent says he "should have stood up" for teacher

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you agree, she wasn't arrested for criticizing a raise.