1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ted Cruz Going on ObamaCare

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Mar 24, 2015.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You're still lying about the reasons for his fillibuster.

But, then, I expect nothing less from you. And nothing more, for that matter.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you continue to be good at calling names while continuing to fail to give reasons for your stance.

He filibustered. He wanted Obamacare killed. But, now he wants Obamacare to cover him. That is a contradiction. He wants insurance for himself, but worked to kill insurance for others when he didn't need it.

3. targus

targus New Member

Considering that Cruz will be on Obamacare and still wants to repeal the law...

There must be some flaw in your analysis.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is less about his positions than the man himself. I don't think the positions really matter with him. Watching him work through the electoral process in Texas over the last few years - including debates - he seems to be embracing the Tea Party discontent to get ahead.

I simply don't trust him at all. He has been deceptive during the Republican primaries in Texas and he doesn't have nearly the level of Republican support in Texas than one might believe. I've had more than a few Texas Republican leaders (also friends) who were trying to get me to support Cruz in the general election to the U.S. Senate tell me that they "just held their nose" and voted for Cruz so a Democrat would not win the seat.

That's not the way I do politics. Character counts with me.

Regarding positions, I have major issues with the immigration platform he currently embraces. It is designed to cater to those who don't know - and don't want to know - the realities of the situation.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two questions:

1. How has he been deceptive? Please provide supporting evidence

2. Who is it that "don't know" about the major issues of immigration?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This is another part of politics that I really don't like. At this rate, the man will be torn down before his campaign gets going.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has already announced his candidacy. His campaign is already going.

The GOP and Tea Party folk on the BB certainly are already ... and have been ... tearing up Hillary and she is not an official candidate yet.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And that is nothing but the WHOLE truth. :laugh:

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hillary has been running for president since 2006.

It's official. Always has been.

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During the Texas primaries, David Dewhurst alleged that Cruz has represented a Chinese firm in an intellectual property lawsuit. Knowing that it would be politically unpopular. Cruz was extremely evasive and made misleading statements about his role.

Moreover, during the senatorial primary and general debates, he deliberately mischaracterized the viewpoints of his opponents to try to score points. I realize that for many people, the goal is to "win" the argument, even if you have to be dishonest about your opponent and engage in ad hominem attacks, but I don't support that garbage.

By the way, I do not intend to have a debate with you on the subject. You asked and I'm telling.

Those who support Ted Cruz's current position on immigration. I suspect he knows better, but is playing to the popular sentiment.

I know quite a bit about immigration and the realities of why people are in this country illegally. We need to address that, but we can't do it properly when we have folks demanding that the border "be secure" before we address the problem. Funny, we don't demand a wall on our much larger, less monitored northern border - just the southern border.

Again, I'm not interested in having a debate. I've noticed that people change their tunes when they actually give involved in working with illegal immigrants to help them resolve their situation. When you know why many people are in the country illegally, you understand why it is just not as simple as telling them to go back.

In the aftermath of World War II, my mother's family (who was not wanted in this country) was in a Displaced Persons Camp in Austria and the Austrian government wanted all of the "foreigners" out of the country, For my mother's family, that would mean returning to a country that had gone communist and was rumored to be raping women and female children, then executing whole families when they were forced to return. They had received a coded note from a family member left behind that warned them. For what it is worth, the rumors were true - it was related to Operation Keelhaul if you want to read up on the program. The U.S. would only allow people to enter if they had someone to "sponsor" them who would take complete financial responsibility for their lives, knowing that almost no refugees would be able to obtain a sponsor. My grandmother had heard stories of the oldest brother who had stolen money and deserted the family to go to America before she was born. He had stowed away on a ship but had been held captive and abused by the sailors for several years before he earned their trust enough for them not to lock him up every time they were not on the open sea. He managed to escape when they were in port in New Orleans and get lost in the crowd. He eventually figured out how to speak the language and get along on odd jobs until the U.S. government provided an amnesty program some time before or during WWI. It may have had something to do with registering for the draft since his draft card is the first evidence I have been able to find of him in the United States. In any case, because the U.S. created a path to citizenship, he was able to become a productive tax-paying citizen that was in a position to literally save the lives of my mother's family, even though he had never met any of them. My mother's family was able to come to the U.S. legally and eventually obtain citizenship and become beneficial citizens.

Across our southern border, into Central and South America, we have all sorts of people who cannot stay in their home countries because of corrupt governments, drug gangs who seek to kill them or their families, and other issues. They are breaking the law by being in the U.S. illegally, but sometimes that's the best choice when you have no good choices.

We can't take care of everyone, and certainly can't have completely open immigration, but we can take practical steps to ease the flow of persons coming to the U.S., undercut human trafficking, etc. Pretending that an impenetrable wall can be built (those who think it is possible have never visited the southern border) before we can work on solutions is an excuse not to act.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not formally. She will not be a real candidate until she announces she is running.

Cruz has announced he is running. So he is campaigning as we type.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aah! gotchya!:thumbsup: I understand.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really enjoyed your take on this BB. Great stuff. :thumbs:

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any immigration plan that does not include securing the border is not worth the paper it's written on. It's not a solution at all. Instead it insures a perpetual flow of illegal immigrants, leading to a "problem" that will never be fixed.

And that would seem to be the intent of any such "plan".

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be willing to compromise my agreement on the illegals we currently have if we secured the border first. We just need to make sure it cannot happen any more. I do not agree with the open borders advocates who want a European style union of countries that fight it.