1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TEN Commandments - e.g. "do not take God's name in vain".. still moral law

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thats funny coming from someone who hears God's command for everyone yet clueless to God's desire for everyone.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I commend you on that stand, as my problems with Church of Rome is not with the conservative Catholic moral stands, but on the Gospel that gets preached!

3. utilyan

Site Supporter

So let me get this straight. You think WORKS are meaningless, swearing up and down on faith alone, And you think its more important to whine about how the catholic church does The WORKS of spreading the Gospel wrongly, then the lives of Children.

Because our entire disagreement between FAITH ALONERS is we say YOU HAVE TO DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY. And you tell us no, doing things the right way has no bearing its just faith alone and/or elect chosen.

But hold on Catholics.....You are required the GOOD WORK on the Gospel that gets preached!!!

Absolutely Brilliant.

4. utilyan

Site Supporter

Let me simplify the above:

Yeshua, If I continue to spread the gospel as I understand it opposed to the way you understand it, am I putting my soul in jeopardy and possible damnation?

5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is saying: "Oh, my gosh" taking the Lord's Name in Vain?

The Laws given to Moses were a taskmaster--to show the impossibility of man being able to keep the Laws of God which demand holiness, which no man can achieve of himself. The breaking of any law is sin and the penalty for sin is death. Jesus kept the Law which qualified Him to be the sacrifice to pay for the penalty for sin, past, present and future. His blood is on the altar on the throne of God--ever there to pay for our sins.

Re: the ten commandments. All of these laws were fulfilled at Golgotha, nailed to the cross. Keeping the Sabbath is an interesting discussion. Sabbath is the last day of the week, the seventh day, a day for rest. Where does it say this is a day of worship? Sunday has been somewhat arbitrarily selected as worship day in Christendom. But where does the say scripture say which day and how often we are to worship. Some folk worship daily. In the days of circuit preachers, this might be a monthly event.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

6. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have asked the same question repeatedly. The answer will be that if we believe 'the false gospel of Rome' then we are not saved. When I was a Baptist I repented of my sins, trusted in the shed blood of Christ for my salvation (all which the Catholic faith teaches) and since I became I Catholic I somehow lost my salvation. Guess that eternal security doctrine doesn't apply to ex-Baptists turned Catholic.

Scripture makes it clear that my relationship with Christ is what will determine my souls destiny. Scripture teaches that one’s final salvation depends on the state of the soul at death. As Jesus himself tells us, "He who endures to the end will be saved" (Matt. 24:13; cf. 25:31–46). One who dies in the state of friendship with God (the state of grace) will go to heaven. The one who dies in a state of enmity and rebellion against God (the state of mortal sin) will go to hell.

#126 Walter, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "He that hath The Son, hath life. He that hath not The Son, hath not life. May I suggest you may have never been a real Baptist? Your testimony sounds like you came from an easy believism, repeat after me salvation background which is not scriptural. You may be a victim of child evangelism. Salvation is of the Lord--it belongs to Him; it is His to give to whomever He chooses and never because they deserve it of their own merit. Even after one is saved, the salvation belongs to The Lord. It is all by Grace, Grace, Wonderful Grace.

It is hard to believe that a Real Baptist who knows his spiritual heritage would betray The Faith for another gospel which is not another, for a yoke of bondage which he cannot bear. Today is the day of salvation. Tomorrow in this world is not quaranteed.

May the Lord show you the perfect law of liberty--the one which sets men from the law of sin and death.

Bro. James

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you accepted the Jesus of the scriptures by the real Gospel, and are you telling others the real Gospel?

9. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nope! Not a product of the many Baptist churches that are overcome by the super salesmen "soulwinners" who pull professions out of lost souls with a promise that they will go to heaven on the basis of a little prayer and a profession of faith in Jesus. They follow Hyles, Hutson, Gray, right? I had a true conversion experience. My life changed after I encountered Jesus at the cross and I still encounter Him each day as a Catholic. I am a true believer! You are mistaken and it is a 'fly in your ointment', unless you think I am a liar. There have been others on the Baptist Board who came here as Baptist and became Catholics believing JUST LIKE YOU when they started posting here. I remember Thinkingstuff, Lori4dogs, Melanie, Zenas, (who still attends a Baptist church but has stated he would become a Catholic if not for his age), etc. My testimony is posted on BB for all to see. Read it yourself and see if you think I have betrayed Christ.

BTW, James, most of the Baptist churches in my area use the 'pray this little prayer' formula for salvation. They would swear they are 'True Baptist' too!

#129 Walter, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You say you had a true conversion experience, which implies there could also be a false conversion experience. How does one tell which is which? You say you were converted, then you say you cannot know for sure until the end of your life whether you are saved or not. Apparently, if you are worthy enough, you may go to heaven but not before purgatory.

That is the yoke of bond which keeping a set of laws gets you or anyone who tries to keep them. Only Jesus kept them--He is the only one who can pay the penalty for our sin.

Thankyou for pointing out there are others like you on this board. They need Jesus too. There are hundreds of millions called catholic--that does not make them right.

Even so, come,Lord Jesus

Bro. James

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually, there are over a billion Catholics and, yes, too many of them are cultural Catholics only.

We are called! Is He calling you? Do not hesitate to be an apostle of our Risen Lord, Jesus Christ.

You just proved you do not understand the Catholic faith. I, and any Christian are worthy only by trusting in the shed blood of Jesus for our salvation. I know if I die today I am saved. If a person decides to turn his back on the Lord after conversion that is his or her decision. You believe for a 'true-Christian' that is not possible. I don't agree. Believing in Eternal Security is not a condition for salvation, is it? If so, many, many more people who call themselves Christians are going to Hell.

A Peaceful Future Is Built From The Heart. A New Heart And Life, In Christ Jesus.

BTW, 'Bro James', if Catholics tell you that we have repented of our sins, that we confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord and believe that He was risen from the grave. That we trust He shed His blood for the remission of our sins. That we place our trust in His mercy and grace. Then you still say that Catholics on this board are not Christians and we still need Jesus? What part of that is not consistent with true conversion?

James, Jesus Christ Lives! Allow Him To Love & Serve through You. I Might Be Little, but Jesus, beloved, Is abundance Himself. Lord, Your Grace Is Sufficient!

And, btw, isn't questioning board members salvation a violation of BB rules???? Even so, come Lord Jesus!!!

#131 Walter, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  12. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Also, I am following with great interest the Sinners Prayer thread in the 'Baptist Only' Forum. Seems there is plenty of controversy within Baptist ranks as to what constitutes 'true conversion'.

To quote one BB poster: 'The rote sinner's prayer that is part and parcel with most Baptist churches never saved anyone, ever. At best the sinner's prayer is verbalizing what has already taken place in the immaterial part of man, accomplished by God the Holy Spirit through regeneration, repentance, faith, and justification.

The reason I am viscerally against both is that they can leave a person who has made an emotional decision only, with a false assurance of salvation. I have been witness to this more than once.'

13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeshua1, say: 'Lord, I Offer You My Weaknesses, My Imperfections, My Iniquities..My Mind, Heart, Will, Body, Soul & Senses. Your Love Transforms'. Have accepted the Jesus of the Gospels. I believe you have too!

14. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a reply to # 131 authored by Walter.

Sorry you seem offended by my dialogue. Salvation is of the Lord. A saved soul is sealed by the Holy Spirit--never to be lost. I am not a soteriology judge. The criteria is really plain: see Ephesians 2:8-10. A little child can understand. Can you explain to a child why he has to go to purgatory? The Lord knows them that are His--and they hear His voice and follow Him. Another they do not follow. God is not the author of confusion.

I was born and baptized Roman Catholic under the reign of Pious XII. Went to Catholic School, went to Catechism when in Public school. We were real Catholics then. Brainwashed for 12 years.

My punny efforts at studying the who, what, when, where an how of eternity led me to many "faiths". Then I came to the conclusion I had been thoroughly brainwashed.

The religious world is thoroughly duped--look at the numbers. Actually, the Non-Christians out number the Christians by a serious margin. I am not too sure about the validity of the counting process. Most of the time the majority is wrong anyway.

The bottom line: Where will we spend eternity? Are we sure? Many seem seriously confused how one gets to heaven. A lot of folk have not a clue. Only Jesus saves--not popular, but true. Now what?

Shalom,

Bro. James

#134 Bro. James, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  15. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Yeah, I know ex-Catholics who have left the faith who were poorly catechized. Two of them came to my door the other day as JW's. You even mention your 'punny efforts' to study the Catholic Faith I also know that of class of 50 people returning to the Catholic faith in our parish, ten of them were ex-Catholics turned Baptist and now coming home to Christ Holy Catholic Church. One couple had read the book by David Currie: 'Born Fundamentalist, Born-Again Catholic'. He is a product of Moody Bible Institute and studied Catholicism in an effort to understand it better. He ended up leaving for the Catholic Faith. He even discusses purgatory. You don't know enough about the faith you left to know that purgatory has nothing to do with whether a person is saved or not. You believe it denies 'the finished work of Christ on the cross'. Nothing could be further than the truth. I doubt you would ever pick up Currie's book because you would never want to read anything that cast doubt on what you already believe to be 'the truth'. Of course, there have been many, many threads discussing purgatory on this board. Read through some of them and you might understand it better.
    Ex-protestant theologian, Scott Hahn also discusses the subject well.

And, yes, I know if I die right now where I will spend eternity. I have not, nor will not turn my back on Christ. Something even the Early Church believed you could do. So do Free-Will Baptists and most Christian faiths.

#135 Walter, Sep 27, 2017
  16. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For sure a large portion of JW's, Mormons and others are proselyted backsliders from the holy see, probably many more than Real Baptists embracing Rome.

Have you read: Charles Chiniquy and Mother Theresa?

Someone switched the signs at your religious crossroads, Bro. You are in the ditch on the right side of the wrong road.

I have seen the anguish of loved ones left behind at a funeral parlor, not knowing for sure about where their loved one may have gone; nor how long they will stay; nor how much is the fee for shortening the time; also the sorrow of not being able to afford a funeral mass. Are these people poorly catechized?

It is no wonder, Satan himself is become an angel of light

Jesus paid it all. We could not pay the debt anyway. We have not a drop of innocent blood.

Bro. James

#136 Bro. James, Sep 27, 2017
  17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ]"For sure a large portion of JW's, Mormons and others are proselyted backsliders from the holy see, probably many more than Real Baptists embracing Rome." You don't know that. I have provided a link below of one of many former Baptist pastors who have 'embraced Rome'. I'm sure you won't watch it, but maybe other will and would like to comment.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about and yes, those folks and you are poorly catechized. . There is no charging for any masses. The 'collection' during the Offertory part of the mass is entirely voluntary and the amount and choice is private and up to the individual to contribute or not. The collection goes to the upkeep of the church and its activities. Sometimes there's a second collection for charity services and it is normal for an announcement to be made regarding the purpose - this again is also entirely voluntary. My cousin recently passed away and his family was wondering if there was a charge for the funeral mass. The priest informed them that they were free to make any contribution they wished, but 'no, there is not a charge'.

Another interesting conversion story: the journey home + former baptist pastor - Saferbrowser Yahoo Video Search Results

#137 Walter, Sep 27, 2017
  18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 4 PM Pacific.

19. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Journey home for sure--I have been pointing this out for some time: the daughters are going back to their mother. This is prophecy being fulfilled in our time. Surely the baptists represented are pseudo. The Bride of Christ will never forsake The Groom and vice versa. They are about to have the marriage supper. Will you be there?

RE: Costs of church services--I know there was a price for an annulment document under Pius XII. I was born in a marriage that was annulled. Curious--I thought consumated marriages could not be annulled. I guess I need to study canon law some more. Maybe I am just a robot.

Still waiting for how to tell a 10 year old he must go to purgatory just like his mama who just died. As a young catholic, I remember saying prayers and various venerations to get time shaved off purgatory--for self and others. I guess that was wrong and we still have to serve the appropriate time? My infant baptism is still good, right?

How about a funeral mass by an archbishop? Would that be free of charge as well?

I have been to a lot of cultural catholic countries--they are all in abject poverty. Yet the Vatican has enough wealth to feed them all and take care of their other needs. The sale of one gold chalice would feed thousands. Have you ever heard of the Sermon on the Mount?

Another good read: Two Babylons, Hislop.

Bro. James

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.