1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 2nd Wave

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Benjamin, May 4, 2020.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed you didn't address my criticism of the lame article you posted. Instead you just attacked me. The article is just another form of Rush Limbaugh-ism style innuendo and question asking, with no actual statements being made.

BTW, the mask in my avatar is a form of satire. Most readers of BB understand that I may, at times, employ satire and sarcasm.

May Fourth--Stars Wars Day

I wore a mask for the photo used in my avatar. Otherwise, I have not worn a mask since I was sanding drywall back in December (which is why I have the mask in the first place.)

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2 that caused the panic were only off by a little over 500%. Why would that be a problem?

One of them even stated it wasn't meant to be accurate but to "provoke action". I read that to mean incite panic.

Why would that be a problem for anyone?

#62 carpro, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There ARE actual statements being made. You want links from some of our 95% negative media to bring ANY truth? Rush? I trust Rush to be real. You may not like him or agree with him, but that’s your problem & you have plenty of them. Your positions are as clear as mud. They are all over the board. You stand for nothing. That is what you project to me.

4. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand, I am in the same boat, while it seems everyone else is out walking on the water.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The action being government mandates and stiffling of freedoms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quoted the report from FEMA and said "IF" the infection rate got that high I would expect more death than they project which would be based on real numbers we have so far, I did not say I believed that their model was accurate. I try to keep a positive but realistic attitude and I certainly don't form my opinions by being a hyper-partisan puppet who parrots whatever politically driven narrative that sounds pleasing to my ears.

I get out of bed in the morning thinking for myself and trying to be informed and prepared. Part of being informed is the consideration of history. History reveals that we have been in this situation before and made a mistake. I don't just ignore that mistake because it doesn't fit my partisan narrative, I take into account why it happened when it did happen and what we should expect if it happened again.

That said, in my opinion FEMA's model of 200,000 new infections a day is too high and IF it were to be true we would see death in this country on a scale that I can't imagine to be true.

Do I expect a 2nd wave? Unfortunately, I think it is likely and the reason for it is what upsets me is the unnecessary severity of it because I would put the blame of that reason on irrational hyper-partisan hysteria and a lack of taking this virus seriously and responsibly slowing it down until we can develop better treatments and a cure that will save many lives and I think that any good Christian would value those lives and be willing to make a few sacrifices to save them rather than get caught up into this hyper-partisan hysterical narratives. The fact is there is middle ground!!

I hate to even make predictions because I don't want them to become true. I hope and pray that the threats I am seeing doesn't become true but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and then get caught up in shock and surprise if we were to repeat history, which is a realistic consideration.

No, I believe IF we have a 2nd wave by the time it got to 60,000-70,000 infections a day there would be over 5,000 deaths a day and that impact would get people's attention and maybe then people would start working together, it would be a very hard time and soon after we would see the light and a new day. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm saying we need to work together and get past this partisan thinking, the sooner the better.

#66 Benjamin, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes you think that your thinking isn't partisan? It is the Dems who have not obeyed social distancing, specifically blacks, Muslims and alphabet people. The Dems want to prolong the shutdown after flattening the curve--meaning they lied all along. So why should we listen to you after the flattening of the curve. Can't you take care of yourself?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you value these lives as well. How many untold millions are willing to have suffer and die to have your agenda implemented by shutting down the economy for no telling how long? This obsessive focus over this virus, as if nothing else matters, has got to stop.

"The piece reported that around 265 million people around the world could face starvation by the end of the year, and that measures like strict stay-at-home orders are “drying up work and incomes, and are likely to disrupt agricultural production and supply routes.” As bad as millions of people starving to death may be, it’s only one of many other consequences that are likely to arise from a prolonged total economic shutdown."

Covid-19 is deadly, and so is keeping millions of people out of work

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are alphabet people?

Google workers?

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Benjamin wants you to crack down on little Mogadishu.

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strawman, I have NEVER said we should shut down the economy I AM SAYING we can't even get people to give up their parties and sunbathing, or even abide by a law to wear a mask to help slow it down while they use a hyper partisan excuse that we will lose our rights and destroy the economy.

We can not solve the world's problems due to this virus. We can and should do everything possible to protect the lives of our own. I, in all my life, have never seen a person starve to death in this country for lack of food. If I saw a person starving I would give them food. In fact, I have never see someone I know personally die from the flu. I've heard all the narratives about panicking over the economy and have repeatedly said there is middle ground and we need to get our priorities off of thinking through hyper- partisan influences. I'll take it a step further and say, those who do not get off these strawman political narratives will have blood on their hands!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the last refuge of those who think they are morally superior us commoners - if we don't allow them to direct our lives, then they claim that we are responsible for people dying. Rubbish!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I can see that your post reeks of partisanship guiding your every thought and that you are beyond even recognizing your obsession with it.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not partisan in calling for a police state but anyone who opposes a police state is partisan in your thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no truth in a strawman political narrative,thus there is no justification for your paranoia of losing your rights which you use for an excuse.

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The deal was to flatten the curve. Now you want a police state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you know these strawman arguments you seem to rely on amount to lies.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suggest you read some history.

• Like Like x 2
  19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We flattened the curve and now you want more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad, that you cannot see the hyper-partisan rhetoric that you parrot which makes my point.

• Like Like x 1