1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Authority of Scripture: Creedal vs. Sole Authority

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Baptists we share a rich and diverse history. The term “Baptist” itself is a distinctive rather than a denomination. But within this distinctive we have various camps of believers. Some are Reformed to the point they share a doctrinal closeness to the to the Church their precursors sought to rework. Others feel a kinship to the movements that rejected the Protestant movement as not going far enough towards a biblical understanding of our faith. Perhaps most find themselves between these extremes.

At one time Baptists touted Biblical Authority as their sole standard for belief and practice. With time some Baptists became creedal while others seemed adverse to any type of confession at all. Now most probably find themselves on the middle of this spectrum.

My question involves the authority of our faith, not so much as whether creeds and confessions are sufficient within an organization to summarize particular beliefs but whether such statements are adequate as a source to defend held views.

Can we hold Scriptural authority as our sole standard for belief and practice if we are unwilling to set aside our creeds, confessions, and statements of faith to defend or construct doctrine on God’s Word?

Is it wrong to build upon the ideas and interpretations of others rather than taking the effort (and time) to return to Scripture each occasion we engage others outside of our camp?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of anyone who accepts a creed or confession as a sole authority in matters of faith and practice.

What most of us do is agree with the conclusions based on the scriptures which the creeds and confessions articulate.

Let's look at the Anglican version:

I believe in God the Father Almighty, - Yep
    Maker of heaven and earth: - Yep
    And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord, - Yep
    Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, - Yep
    Born of the Virgin Mary, - Yep
    Suffered under Pontius Pilate, - Yep
    Was crucified, dead, and buried: - Yep
    He descended into hell; - Maybe
    The third day he rose again from the dead; - Yep
    He ascended into heaven, - Yep
    And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; - Yep
    From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. - Yep
    I believe in the Holy Ghost; - Yep
    The holy Catholick Church; - Maybe
    The Communion of Saints; - Yep
    The Forgiveness of sins; - Yep
    The Resurrection of the body, - Yep
    And the Life everlasting. - Yep

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But the distinction I am looking at is whether creeds and confessions are an authority for our faith.

Do we use them to summarize our belief or to teach our belief. When defending our faith do we go? To creeds and confessions? To the Bible? To both?

For example, if two argue about Jesus descending into Hell is it incumbent on the one arguing against the idea to prove the negative because the how the creed is worded? Or is to necessary to prove via Scripture that Jesus did descend into Hell? Is the creed an authority for doctrine or a statement of belief?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know any Reformed Baptist, such as myself, who agrees with Rome on any of their major errors/mistakes, and at times heresy of doctrines though, and when we use Confessions, NEVER equal to the scripture, as the bible alone id inspired and infallible!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Confession is a summary of major scriptural doctrines. but is not to be used in place of or considered equal to the Bible, as my 1689 Baptist Confession calls the Papacy the Antichrist, and I disagree with that!

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one thinks they agree on major mistakes, even Roman Catholics.;)

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I am having a hard time understanding the point of the thread. As with TCassidy, I don't know any Baptist who accepts a creed or confession as a sole authority in matters of faith and practice.

Is this rooted in some previous discussion?

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be the one about the Creed that states Jesus has 2 natures!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about the 1689 Baptist confession?

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a way, but not specifically.

On a previous discussion it was noted that some creeds were to be automatically implied in orthodox Christianity. Therefore in an argument the burden always falls to the one disagreeing with a creed rather than the other having to provide Scripture to prove a claim.

Until here I had never encountered this type of argument outside of the Catholic church (in that debate the Church was considered at least as much, if not more, an authority as Scripture). But in this case it was another Baptist making the argument.

Do you know of any Baptists who hold creeds in such a way?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I try not to. :Laugh

Seriously, though, I am not a confessional kind of Baptist. I try not to address such broad things as a whole. For one, there is much ground covered. For another, interpretation varies.

I try to avoid confessions and stick to Scripture. I do see their usefulness in determining like-minded churches or believers. And maybe (but probably not) in teaching within a congregation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's referred to as the LBC (London Baptist Confession) by Reformed Baptists:

ARBCA Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America

They declare that the LBC faithfully summarizes what Scripture teaches, and go from there. Example:

"It is always understood that Scripture must be the final authority over the conscience on this issue. However, the member churches of ARBCA have already confessed that the LBC is a faithful summary of what Scripture teaches....This is why this position paper deals more with the exposition and application of the LBC to this issue rather than a lengthy exegesis of Scripture. "

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. I can only think that such a discussion might be useful and profitable for two Baptists who had previously agreed to the same creed, confession, articles/statement of faith, and now one is disagreeing with his former position.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I was thinking. I have been SBC all my life and don't know the details about other Baptists. I know many here hold to certain confessions, but wasn't sure how.

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he's asking: How can we claim scripture as the sole authority of our faith if we continue to cling to creeds to defend our beliefs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Confessions just pull together various scriptures per each point of doctrine, correct?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Confessions just give a summary of various scriptures used to support each major doctrine of the faith, correct?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We only use the Creeds and Confessions when they clearly line up and agreement with the inspired scriptures though!

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall having run across many Baptists who use creeds to defend their beliefs (of course, that doesn't mean others have not). I think a creed or confession might make a beginning point for discussion between two people who hold the same one. For example, two Baptists in the same association would (at least in theory) hold to the same beliefs/confession of faith. One might begin a discussion, saying, "I used to believe Article No. 7, but I don't anymore. Here's why." But it seems even they would eventually have to get to a Bible discussion.

On the other hand, for example, JonC said he is Southern Baptist and I am not. He may (or may not) hold the Baptist Faith and Message. Our church is not SBC and has its own confession of faith. I wouldn't see much benefit in debating our confessions of faith, since ultimately they stand or fall on what the Scriptures teach.

Hope that makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    a little more than that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.