1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Authority of Scripture: Creedal vs. Sole Authority

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well exactly so. If the Pastor's sermons are according to Scripture, they carry authority, or should do. A creed or confession is the same. It carries no authority in and of itself, but if it agrees with Scripture, and to the extent that it does, it has the authority of Scripture
    Every church IMO should adopt a clear, Biblical confession of faith for the reasons that I have outlined, which lays down what that church believes. It thereby holds new members and new Pastors to that belief. I repeat that I would never join a church that did not have such a confession. It will almost certainly become liberal at some stage.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are missing the point (because you keep going back to a role of confessions upon which we agree).

I agree statements of faith are wonderful. They let those within and without know what a congregation believes. But I do not believe they are an authority. They are expressions of common belief - NOT the authority for that belief.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.