1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible wars.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Origen

Origen Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I simply point out there are others who have issues with the MT and their arguments ought to be considered as well. More information (both positive and negative) is critical to making an informed decision.

The Byzantine Priority Hypothesis

#61 Origen, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your chosen Bible promote readings which are contrary to the word of God?

Either the reading of John 1:18, as ". . . Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, . . ." or ". . . God, which is in the bosom of the Father, . . ." is used for the translation. One is God's word the other is not.

This reference is key issue.

#62 37818, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Jesus to be the ONE Mediator between God & man, He must've been much more than just a man while He was physically, visibly here. Sure, he didn't APPEAR any different from an ordinary man, but what mere man ever calmed a storm, walked on water, & enabled someone else to do so?

He was never just a man. Even in His "passion", He retained the power to stay alive while taking enough physical abuse to have killed 3 men.

And while He was a boy, He astounded the Jewish Scriptural experts with His knowledge of Scripture, & its meanings. He did not learn that knowledge from Joseph & Mary: he had always had it before He was born of Mary.

Yes, He was both God & man the whole time He was here.

And I see you have no reply to the fact that the KJV's English is largely archaic & obsolete. Would you really want to witness to an immigrant who was just learning English from an archaic version he/she wouldn't understand much of ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So long as we agree that Jesus Christ the man was a real man, 100% man and being Creator was always a 100% God.
    And the man is not God and God is not man. Jesus Christ was fully both the man not God and God not man.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the M and Byz reading is not "in salvation" because that is the minority Byz. reading, not a majority reading. Look it up if you have both Greek NTs. The truth is that both Hodges/Farstad and Robinson/Pierpont omit "into salvation" because that is not in the majority of mss, but only in the majority of Dr. Pickering's favorite Kr/Fam35. This is because Dr. Pickering does not have actual access to the majority of mss at this point. (Dr. Robinson informs me on these points.)

On the other hand, my UBS 4 has the reading εἰς σωτηριαν, with Metzger's textual commentary pointing out that the TR omits the phrase. So it looks to me like an Alexandrian reading that crept into Pickering's Kr/Fam35.

Furthermore, doctrinally ἐις σωτηριᾳ is suspect. (I realize that doctrine is certainly not a strong consideration in a reading's authenticity.) But think about it. Do we grow into salvation, or is it an instantaneous miracle?

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is still both God and man right now!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both statements are true!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both statements are true!

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first Greek NT I bought in 1968, a Nestle's text, has that reading listed as a majority reading. A Greek NT I bought in the early 1970's as a TR which has 1 John 5:7 in smaller Greek type also has that Greek reading for "into salvation." My take on this is one cannot grow into what one does not yet have.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the phrase is ἐν, not εἰς. If it were "in salvation" it would be salvation one already has, but "into salvation" is directional, not continuative, especially because the verb is aorist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying it makes no good sense to grow "into" something one already posseses?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in Greek; that is what I am saying. You grow "in" something, not "into" something. I will change my view if you can find an analogous Greek source that uses αὐξανω with an imperfective aspect (present or imperfect tense) and an εἰς prepositional phrase.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Epesians 2:21, "In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: . . ."

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I figured you would find that one. :)

Now, taking a second look at 1 Pet. 2:2, it's an aorist, so aoristic aspect. You could take it as looking at salvation as a whole, then, in which case it would mean growing until the divine act of salvation. But it still doesn't make theological sense to me having εἰς σωτηριαν there.

Eph. 2:21 is a pres. act. ind. verb, of course, and the indicative can be either aoristic or imperfective. In this verse I would take it as aoristic, meaning a time when the growth culminates in becoming a temple. But I can't see taking it as imperfective, growing a temple up.

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two more cases, Ephesians 4:15 and Colossians 1:10.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Pickering's programming note, "Until quite recently, based upon von Soden’s apparent ascribing of some 80% attestation to the shorter reading (80% of the extant Greek manuscripts), I was rather critical of the longer form; I argued that Peter was writing to the “elect” [1:2], to the “redeemed” [1:18], to the “born again” [1:23], to a “holy priesthood” [2:5], to “believers” [2:7], to “slaves of God” [2:16]—they did indeed need to grow, but not “into salvation”. However, the evidence as presented by ECM [Editio Critica Maior] looks quite different (some 65% for the longer reading, including the best line of transmission, and joined by all three ancient versions, a not insignificant witness).Time and again Peter presents both divine sovereignty and human responsibility; God guarantees His part, we must do our part. According to 1:5 the full manifestation [at least] of our salvation is still future. Here in 2:2 the immediately following “if indeed” would appear to allow for some uncertainty as to their spiritual condition; Peter is emphasizing their responsibility." Pickering's view point is an Arminianism.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. And?

Eph. 4:15 is an aorist subjunctive & Col. 1:10 is a present pass. participle. What is the significance?

#79 John of Japan, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm puzzled at this. What TR was that? Neither the Scrivener's nor the 1550 Stephanus has the phrase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.