The Casual gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Internet Theologian, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is the faith that a 4 year old has any different in a Mormon child, than one raised in a baptist home.
    Many 4 year Olds do not read yet and are dependant on what their parents say.
    How do you think this 4 year old has different faith?

2. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. Also, odds are he's one of those 'carnal Christians' paying the price for his crimes. Not the first time His children have strayed to the point of committing a "sin unto death" or doing jail time.

3. Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Fair point. I've found that even though forgiven there may still be consequences for our sin in this life! David knew of this in Psalm 51 and prayed that he would be delivered from this.

I must refine my point here though. I do not believe this thief would represent a carnal Christian as his conversion doesn't retro to his past unconverted behavior!

4. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For discussion sake.....if a Mormon child feels the burning in his bosom and follows his heart is he then saved even if he has the wrong object of faith?

5. Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Right. Now nowhere in Scripture do I see where loving the LORD requires one to follow their heart so I would have to disagree with that statement altogether. I would never tell a person to do this!

No offense intended kyredneck!

6. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While Christians can sin and be cut off physically in this life,the Bible does not teach a person living a carnal life is a christian.
    The scriptures teach only two men....natural or Spiritual.

7. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If the scriptures speak of the heart being desperately wicked....who can know it.....to suggest someone follow their heart does not seem wise.

8. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LoL...I thought yall believe in pre-faith regeneration.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

9. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you mean by pre faith regeneration?
    Saving faith and regeneration happen at one point in time.

10. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You calvies are confusing.

11. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jon.....God has given 66 books.....not a post card....lol
    Many have puzzled over the teachings. That is why emotions can run high on a forum like this.
    Feel free to ask your questions, you will get answers even answers that you do not like at first, but in time you might shift some of your views.

12. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does regeneration precede faith? If it does, a person's heart being wicked isn't a factor anymore, correct? ???

13. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never agreed with the whole "logical order" reasoning. It simply doesn't work - either you have a regenerate unbeliever or an unregenerate believer. We can only reason so far. IMHO it is best to stand closer to Scripture itself.

In the end we cannot know if someone else is saved. I suppose it would be better to wait a bit in offering our assurance to a believer than it would to falsely assure a non-believer.

14. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter if he's Mormon, Muslim, or Inuit, I'm referring to the heart that has had the work of the law written upon it, the regenerate heart. There is no 'correct formula' available whereby one may follow to be born from above.

Beings you persist in gomming up the word 'sozo' to be synonymous with the heavenly birth I'll rephrase for you, what you're really asking is 'Can one be born from above using the wrong formula?'

The answer is no, there is no such formula to follow that imparts immortality. One has no more say so over their spiritual birth than they do their physical birth.

15. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I gave you a link to the 1689 confession of faith.
    It is a carefully worded document read it slowly looking up the verses.
    The readers digest version is salvation and regeneration take place simultaneously.
    God grants repentance and faith and gives the new heart by the Spirit of God working in him performing divine open heart surgery ,a heart transplant. That is the language of the New Covenant where God makes us new creatures giving a new heart so we can be Law Keepers.

16. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are those that place "regeneration" as a must for salvation.

However, there is a problem with the word "regeneration." Because (imo) the word suggests (if only in the imagination of some) that there was some generation that died. I don't see that as having a foundation in Scripture.

Rather, as the Lord Jesus pointed out to Nicodemus, one must be "born again." That does not "regenerate" the first birth, nor does it do away with the birth of the flesh(ly). Rather, the "new birth" is not unlike the old in picture.

The old has conception, gestation, labor, delivery, and proclamation of arrival.
    The new has conception, gestation, labor, delivery, and proclamation of arrival.

There is no work nor determination of that delivered in the process, and both result in a proclamation. Both have a growth and maturing process, and both have an end estate.

Therefore, I just don't see "regeneration" as valid; however, that does not preclude me from using the term when talking to others who consider there is validity in the use.

:)

17. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How in the world is being a Law Keeper part of the New Covenant?

The Calvinist's proof text for God doing a heart transplant is a misinterpretation of Ezekiel 36-37 where God promises to restore Israel. That's definitely in the Old Testament and it definitely applies to Israel, not the general public.

18. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello ITL
    When you look at the promise of the New Covenant...from Jer.31 quoted in Hebrews 8...God declares He will put His law in the minds and hearts of His people.
    Christians are His people.Christians are law keepers.
    Ezk 36 :25-27 is for Christians.....jn 3.
    When you attend a dispensational church you get wrong ideas.

19. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Abraham bound for hell prior to Gen 15:6? Was Cornelius bound for hell prior to Acts 10:1,2? Was Nathanael bound for hell prior to Jn 1:47? Were those Jews at Pentecost bound for hell prior to Acts 2:5? etc., etc., etc.,

20. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is very blunt and faithful in recording the sin and unbelief of God's children.

It doesn't change the fact, God's redeemed are capable of doing everything He tells them NOT to do.