1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Crux of Keeping the Sabbath Day Contention

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hark, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"We testify of that we know."
    What do you know? What are you able to testify of? You keep starting threads on the Sabbath? Why?
    Perhaps the Sabbath to you is the same as the Christian Sabbath was to Moody, that is, Sunday.
    So, if it is, how do you observe this day? How important is it too you. Thread after thread you have started on the Sabbath Day. If it is that important to you then let your practice demonstrate your theology, or is there no fruit that results from your theology. Which is it? How does your theology affect your daily living?

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am indebted to BaptistBoard and you DHK, for your forum's availability to an outcast of religions of various hews.
    Has my luck and time now run out on BB? That will break my heart. But if it's my time, it's my time. I believe God will open doors for me; I put my hope in Him.

The LORD is my Shepherd. His Name is Jesus Christ. I shall not want. THE LORD IS MY RIGHTEOUSNESS. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: When an hungred I pluck the ears of the corn of thy field and eat, Christ the Substance and Nourishment ministered. The earth is the LORD'S and the fullness thereof. He restoreth my soul. He revives me Sabbaths. He leadeth me in the paths of Righteousness for His Name's sake. Unto Thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul, o my God, I trust in Thee : let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me. Yea, let none that wait on Thee be ashamed : let them be ashamed which transgress without cause. Shew me thy Way, O LORD; teach me thy Path. Lead me in thy Truth and teach Thou me : for Thou art the God of my Salvation; on Thee do I wait all the day. Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses for they have been ever of old. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil : for Thou art with me; thy Rod and thy Staff, they comfort me. Whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies : Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life : and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever : Sabbaths' Feast of Christ Assembling eating and drinking of Feast holding to the Head : CHRIST GIVEN TO THE CHURCH AS HEAD.

#82 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  3. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My understanding is you "Can" keep the Sabbath, and if you are a Jewish convert might still do so.

Galatians 5

1It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
    2Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

You have to be circumcised to keep Sabbath. And if you get circumcised with the intention of legalism of keeping the Sabbath.......then you are obligated to keep the entire Jewish Law. And if you think well hey I'm justified because I keep the Sabbath, "you have been severed from Christ", "fallen from grace".

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Same old story . . . I don't accept "permission or judgment from anyone with regard to Sabbaths' Feast of Christ", thanks.
    And I don't believe the Seventh Day Sabbath because I'm a Jew or am under the Law. Yes, I am under the Law for as long as I live as the Scriptures say because I shall be a transgressor of the Law for as long as I shall live as the Scriptures say.
    That can never be though why I believe "the Seventh Day : GOD : THUS ... BY THE SON ... IN THESE LAST DAYS ... CONCERNING SPAKE" as "the Lord's Sabbath Day". No -- but you see all and every reason WHY "Sabbath Day's rest remains for the People of God ... indeed because JESUS---HAVING ENTERED INTO HIS OWN REST AS GOD IN HIS OWN---gave them Rest"---gave them Rest having RAISED from the dead "...and God on the day The Seventh Day from ALL : HIS : WORKS : RESTED." (Hebrews 4:4)

That, and nothing else, is why and how and for what I believe "the day The Seventh Day is Sabbath : OF : THE LORD GOD". "the Lord _your_ God" --- my God and ours, 'Sabbaths' Feast of Christ Home Assemblies Reformed Protestant Faith'. Thanks. For anything else or more, no thanks!

#84 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. utilyan

Site Supporter

Well you shouldn't accept any judgment from me at all. Ill let you know when I give it.

I believe as scripture states your welcome to keep the Sabbath, how its done however is what it is.

I can't just wink at my Saturday calendar..........ahh it done and fulfilled, I have kept the Sabbath.

One guy says well keeping the Sabbath is eating blue lollipops other guy says, saying this one prayer, do this don't do that ect, ect.

To keep a Sabbath is what it is, Law is the Law . You have to be circumcised. And once you are circumcised you have to keep the whole law. And then if you think your justified on this account, You are severed from Christ, fallen from grace.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28). that is why it is now renamed the 'Lord's day' and why it is now on the eighth day that commemorates when He rose from the dead.

Since Jesus Christ is my Lord, I keep His day as best I can.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're welcome. Do whatever you like. It's your own claim. Only please refrain from abusing the Scriptures for your scruples.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You love to play judge; but it's no joke, my laaitie. Because by the same judgment you shall be judged. Forgot that Law?

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Crap. Unless you are the Law Maker. Unless you, are God.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you are God! Because you declared the Law isn't God's Law, but the Jews'!

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit after the traditions of men, after the rudiments of the world, and NOT AFTER CHRIST. ... in whom ye also are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of CHRIST ... He having spoiled principalities and powers having made a shew of them openly TRIUMPHING OVER THEM IN IT-- the circumcision of CHRIST. Let no man therefore judge or condemn or humiliate or incriminate or intimidate or insult or blackmail you for your eating and drinking of SABBATHS'-FEAST-OF-CHRIST-THE-SUBSTANCE" of it.

#91 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  12. utilyan

Site Supporter

Well I keep the Sabbath smoking this cigarette on a Thursday night, Right?

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    plain cigarette addict

#93 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  14. utilyan

Site Supporter

I don't accept "permission or judgment from anyone with regard to Sabbaths' Feast of Christ", thanks.

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you suggesting here? The only Scripture I quoted was Mark 2:28. Is that not in the Bible? Or does your Bible not include verses you don't like or find difficult?

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Matt 12 the unbelieving Jews falsely accused Christ of breaking the Law of God. This is the same false accusations many Christians unwittingly make against Christ to this very day.

I am thankful that D.L. Moody, and the "Baptist Confession of Faith" and the "Westminster Confession of Faith" and C.H. Spurgeon make no such false accusations against Christ.

Aren't you?

As for what Christ taught about the LAW of God in the NT - here is a big clue.

Mark 7

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    8 For laying aside the Commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
    9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
    10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
    11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
    12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
    13 Making the Word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

in Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. No Bible text says "week day 1 is the Lord's Day" -- as we all know.
    2. Is 58:13 declares the Sabbath to be the "Holy Day of the LORD".
    3. Mark 2:28 is a statement about the SEVENTH day Sabbath not "week day 1" where Christ says it is HIS Day -- "The Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"
    4. of that same 7th day Sabbath -- observed for all eternity by all mankind after the cross in the New Earth we find this in Is 66:23 "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship".

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is all in vain Bob. You won't find a command in the Bible that commands the NT believer to keep the Sabbath. It is not there. You can make your typical appeals to Moody, Spurgeon, and others until the sun goes down and cows come home, but you won't find that one single command for the NT believer to keep the Sabbath day in this day and age. It ain't there.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

DHK

Just a thought for you. By suggesting that we can not find a positive command in the NT to obey the 4th commandment, a type of reasoning seems to be set up to suggest that only that which is positively commanded in the NT is binding on the believer. You are correct that we do not find an explicit statement in the NT to "Keep the Sabbath" or other such language. Neither do we find a commandment to not engage in bestiality or to marry our sisters. And it is sad to report that some who have followed the aforementioned line of reason have espoused incest!

While the holy Law of God is not that which justifies a sinner or even sanctifies a sinner, it is holy, just, true and good for the believer in Jesus today and until the end of the age. I find it completely agreeable with the Scriptures as a whole that the 10 commandments are as binding on Christians morally as ever, and they will be forever. It is as immoral to break the 1st commandment today as it was the day it was given to Moses or for that matter as it was to Adam.

As someone who once argued against the perpetuity of the Sabbath day, it was looking at the whole of the 10 commandments and realizing that I could not wrestle one out over another. I could not in good conscience or reason suggest that it is still wrong for Christians to commit murder and still applies today and then suggest we are not morally obligated to the 4th commandment.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.