1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Disciples of Christ and cremation, what does the Lord say about it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CalTech, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the Muscles !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are an administrator. You have an unfair advantage. You have used your advantage to unjustly close a thread because I did not want to do what you were demanding that I do. I am not going to discuss this subject or any subject with you because it is unfair that you can use your authority as an administrator to force people to discuss things the way that you want.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By not replying to a question about your previous statement it is like you’re saying that your position has “zero biblical support”.

When you make a statement, back it up.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an important distinction, as this is the Baptist section of the board (soul liberty being a Baptist distinctive).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not need to back it up. Neither the OT nor the NT has anything that authorizes the use of this pagan practice. If you disagree, you are free to show how the Bible authorizes the practice.

More importantly, I want CalTech to be able to direct the thread as he wishes instead of the thread becoming focused on me and my views. He holds the same views that I do--ask him your questions.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you oppose instrumental music in the assembly because NT scripture does not specifically authorize its use?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CalTech tagged the thread with “god’s stand

We might as well make it official, God’s view:

“Let the dead bury their own dead”
    Matthew 8:22

Opinion: the mode or method is not very significant
    It’s living for our Savior that counts

Rob

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For my wife and I, the disposal of the remains and the funeral are not for the dead person, but for the ones we leave behind. What do I care if she wants my remains cremated? It's more important to me that she does what is best for her. If she wants me in a burial plot to come visit the grave, that's okay. If she wants to have my ashes scattered over a mountain top, that's okay. It's not as if we are desecrating our bodies. The Bible does not prohibit it. It doesn't change a thing about how we live for Christ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 8:22 does indeed set forth God's view. Christ is emphatically and with divine authority declaring that people are to be buried.

Furthermore, the NT does not have even the slightest hint of any Christians ever cremating their own. It should be plain therefore to God's people what He wants them to do

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Samuel 31:11-13

11 And when the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead heard of that which the Philistines had done to Saul;

12 All the valiant men arose, and went all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Bethshan, and came to Jabesh, and burnt them there.

13 And they took their bones, and buried them under a tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.

12. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to, lol, I love being on the forums so much that is all I would do if I didn't step away!

I only meant to take a short break from my current book, and it is now turned into a three-week stay, lol. I had no intention of being here for more than maybe a week. It is great, though, to come back and see changes in the community here. Some of the members have really impressed me, and I can see the growth happening that I know is a direct result of their being immersed daily in the Word of God.

I have said it before, but I know of no better way to accelerate learning and growth than active discussion (and debate) of the Word of God. Iron sharpening iron. Brothers correcting, rebuking, and exhorting one another. And sometimes we learn from those we feel to be our antagonists.

This is something that, in my opinion, displays a reality to the love those that come here have for God and His Word. And I love being around it, lol.

Thank you, sir, for your service.

I have a great respect for my brothers and sisters who have served, sometimes against their will, but have made a difference in those forces. Even if they didn't know they were, lol.

Agreed. This is why I seldom travel: I am hoping to see the sights after I am glorified. A trip to Ireland, and a few other places, lol. THe older I get, though, the more I like being at home. For now.

Agreed. I think some great points have been raised in this thread, and given us all something to think about.

Amen!

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darrell, I have a suggestion - only post on days that end in a "Y"!

Now, if that doesnt work - only post when the Evening news is on (630 E-/530 C)

and since you are writing a book -- keep us posted on that.
    in fact I bought a book that John of Japan wrote!

See you when the new is on!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have the same respect that I have for those who did have to step into combat, brother. And I am ashamed of how you guys were treated. The American Soldier is an icon of freedom and justice, and while there are some rotten eggs in the henhouse from time to time, we do not overlook the sincerity of those who feel it is God that has allowed us the freedoms we enjoy today. Some soldiers mean it when they say "For God and Country."

God bless.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we want to engage in reading our preferences into scripture, then Matthew 8:22 clearly teaches the lost should bury other lost people, and by extrapolation, then Christians should not bury but cremate. See how its done? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that's what I do now! lol

I'm serious, it's difficult to do this in moderation. I just love it too much.

And I would be here until after the late news goes off.

I don't advertise. lol. The current book is actually Science Fiction. Writing has always been my dream since I was a kid. J.R.R. Tolkien ruined me. I'm 53 now and I said when I got into HVAC over 35 years ago that I wasn't going to be doing this stuff when I was old. 120-130 degree attics are something I've dealt with for many years, and I can still do it, but the problem is that I am just burnt out on doing it and it doesn't present the challenge it did when I was younger. I've changed how I approach my business by limiting full retro-fits and doing primarily Service and system replacement. I work half the time I used to and make about the same.

Hindsight is 20/20, right? lol

Well, I certainly won't be watching the news, lol. As far as I am concerned most news is a Hollywood production designed to cater to one agenda over the other. One source I do trust is the American Center for Law and Justice. I only trust Christian sources that have shown themselves to be trustworthy.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that's why being. on BB during the news is a great ideal
    and BTW Mrs Salty loves Sci-fi - keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So she loved the newest version of Lost in Space!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, whatever you say. Holding that Scripture has anything that supports any other choice than burial is the epitome of reading your preference into Scripture.

#79 Scripture More Accurately, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
  20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But wouldn't you admit that Van raises a good point? The dead in view to be buried are those without life. So just as eternal torment and branches being burned fall into an eternal context and are therefore outside of the scope of our temporal disposition, wouldn't how unsaved people dispose of the remains of their own fall outside of it?

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.