1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Disciples of Christ and cremation, what does the Lord say about it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CalTech, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will have to restate what you are saying here because I cannot follow what you have said.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, He did more than that. He said “let the DEAD bury their dead”

He doesn’t say anything about believers, who are alive in Christ, burying their dead.

So, if you want to take this passage as authoritative, it only applies to unbelievers.

So, I will agree with you in this; Jesus has clearly declared unbelievers must bury their dead.

If you really want to take your position to its logical conclusion, Jesus is telling believers not to worry about what happens to family members that die, let someone else take care of it. Believers are to focus on following Jesus.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Yes, I agree with you 100%. The "bias" and the "favoritism" that is shown to some, are NOT for everyone. So be prepared for hypocrisy, double standard's, and their "rules" which do not adhere to scripture. Censorship and "political correctness" does occur here.
    So I encourage you to be as the Lord's word instructs us to be:

Mat_10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Where ever we meet up with the works of the carnal flesh of some believer's, we still need to stand strong in the Truth of the Lord and His Apostles in the Spirit of Love, (for their good) and humility, and meekness.

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....

4. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Amen!!!! Glory to the Lord on High.....His Word and Ways stand true to His Righteousness!

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love....

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found the moderators to be mostly fair minded and respectful, even in disagreement.

We can disagree without assuming the motives and biases of those we debate. No need to declare someone “carnal” and “wolves” because they disagree with you.

BTW, you are essentially declaring someone to be unsaved when you use such language.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

I have to disagree with you, it was a disciple of the Lord's that is being discussed here:

Mat_8:21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
    Mat_8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

So you are teaching wrongfully, it was NOT spoken to an unbeliever.......the man was a DISCIPLE!
    See how easily the fleshly heart can spread a "false teaching"?

The Lord grant you the grace to recover yourself from this error....
    In His Love....

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ADMIN NOTE:
    Referring or implying the validity of someones salvation can bring points and
    or being banned
    watch your words carefully!

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are speaking untruthfully. Jesus replied to His disciples “let the dead bury the dead, you follow Me”.

He told His disciple he shouldn’t be concerned about what happens to dead relatives. Let those who are dead (unbelievers) bury the dead.

His disciples only concern should be following Jesus, not worrying about what to do with dead bodies.

Can you see how easily some can twist the very Words of our Lord Jesus to invent false doctrine to turn God’s faithful flock to arguments over what to do with dead bodies when Jesus very clearly stated…

….”LET THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD”!!!!…

May God open your eyes to this grievous error and your continuing attempts to cause discord among the brethren and bring you to repentance.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand CalTech. You have no answer for the truth I spoke, so you tag my comment as “funny”.

I would tag your response as “sad”.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are misrepresenting what Jesus said. He did not say, "Let the dead bury the dead." He said, "Let the dead bury their dead."

Matthew 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

While you are challenging others about speaking truth, it is vital that you do the same.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they did not bury their dead as we do (in the ground). They put the body, head first, into a tomb. After a year the bones were removed, washed and placed in a "bone box" (ossuary).

Is the argument that Christians should practice this type of burial because this is how it was done in Scripture??

I can't be stuffed?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does the Scripture give all these details? It does not. You are adding to what Scripture provides and then basing your questions on aspects that Scripture does not talk about.

More importantly, no, the discussion that I am interested in is not on the specifics of burial, etc. It is on what Scripture does or does not say or teach about cremation (an utterly pagan practice) versus burial.

Others may want to discuss other aspects. I am only interested in discussing the Bible.

#92 Scripture More Accurately, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most know the burial practices. It is not a secret. Did you assume they drove the body in a hearse to a cemetery and dug a 6 ft hole?

Anyway, as you note, it is the dead who are commanded (using your method of interpretation) their dead. Who are you to call Christian's "lost" that should "bury their dead"???

We are saved. The example we have is using tombs, no casket, no embalming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

That is exactly what I was desiring, by posting this thread.

You are the only one who has been handling this seriously, and within context of what has been portrayed within the Lord's Word.

The Lord bless you.
    In His Love.....

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected. Thank you. So, based on your statement, Jesus isn’t giving any guidance to believers in these passages concerning how believers should handle of their own dead.

You have just disproven your own argument these passages are instructions to believers to “bury” and not “cremate”.

Thanks again for revealing the truth of the matter.

Peace to you

#95 canadyjd, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wife and I don't want cremation as it just seems unnatural to us. Myself and my neighbors all have our own family cemeteries on our land here.

I'll be buried on the top of my ridge when I pass, so will my wife, and likely my kids and grandkids when they all go.

Cost-wise it's fairly cheap. A neighbor will haul a trackhoe up to the bench of the ridge and dig a grave out for little to no cost. The family (and community if needed) gets together to lower the box and that's it. Once a year in springtime we have Decoration Day. A local preacher will preach a sermon in the cemetery and the descendants of the dead will bring flowers and decorations for the graves and also clean up the cemetery.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder? What if someone is cremated and then the ashes were buried? That would fulfill the requirement, wouldn’t it?

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false.

Others have engaged the topic in a serious and biblical manner.

What you have to remember is this is a Baptist board and this is being posted in the Baptist section of the Baptist Board.

Don't act surprised when members interacting on this Baptist section of the Baptist Board hold the Baptist distinctives.

The question is why you are posting in this section.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suspect that is pretty much how it’s been done throughout US history, until recently.

peace to you

• Like Like x 2
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, the verse say the dead (unsaved) bury, thus those saved are not to bury. If you can read your nonsense into the text, i.e only burial is supported by scripture, when people were burned in Gehenna, is idiotic false doctrine.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.