1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Disciples of Christ and cremation, what does the Lord say about it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CalTech, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your vitriol that you often spew when you interact with people on this board speaks volumes about you. I will not waste time interacting with you further.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are badly mistaken, perhaps because you do not read carefully what people say. In effect, you are refuting a straw man. I did not make the argument that you claim that I did.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not call any Christians lost. You are misrepresenting what I said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do these statements about Baptist distinctives, etc.have to do with cremation versus burial?

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said that the lost bury their dead. Then you equated these lost to Christians, saying this means Christians should bury their dead..

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what you said:

I never called any Christians lost.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soul liberty is a Baptist distinctive. Baptists do not look to Scripture to validate everything we do (types of music, use if instruments, methods of burial, etc.) but rather gives liberty when Scripture does not directly speak on issues.

You are not, by virtue of your posts, what we would call a "Baptist" (although you may have baptistic ideas).

The CoC is similar. They hold many Baptist ideas but reject Baptism as an ordinance. You hold many Baptist ideas, but take a CoC approach to Scripture.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said the Bible teaches to let the list bury their dead, therefore Christians should bury their dead. Do you not remember the post?

9. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    False, I detest the CoC. I have been a faithful member of independent, fundamental Baptist churches all of my Christian life. When people claim that the Bible does not speak to an issue but it actually does, I challenge their claims biblically.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. You wrongly connected thoughts that I expressed but did not directly connect. I did not use the word "therefore" in my statements to connect the statements.

#110 Scripture More Accurately, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not saying you are CoC. I am saying you approach Scripture in the same way.

They do not have fellowship halls in the church building. Why? Because the Bible does not say they can. They do not use instruments in worship? Why? Because the NT does not say they used instruments in worship.

You believe cremation is wrong. Why? Because the Bible does not say we can cremate.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. This is a thread about cremation. You offered the passage. If you are implying that cremation is acceptable then you have my apology.

You are correct. Cremation is not prohibited by Scripture. Given Joseph had his organs removed and was buried (entombed) in the Egyptian custom, I agree.

13. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I did not imply nor do I believe that cremation is acceptable. The Bible does not provide any basis for Christians to choose cremation and teaches emphatically the vital importance of a proper burial.

Joseph was not cremated.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not see that the argument you made (that Jesus said “let the dead bury THEIR dead”) actually undermines the very premise of your argument that Jesus commands Christians to “bury” their dead.

You clearly stated Jesus was not speaking to Christians in those passages, so your argument has been disproven by your own words, whether you see it/admit it or not.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a challenge to you. Prove with direct quotes of the exact words that I said (with the number of the comment) from anything that I have said how your claim that I "clearly stated Jesus was not speaking to Christians in those passages" is valid. Where and when did I say that Jesus was not speaking to Christians in those passages?

You are mixing up what others have said with what I have said.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I mean, you approach Scripture as a CoC member approaches Scripture.

The New Testament does not provide any basis for Christians using musical instruments. Do you believe it is wrong?

The Bible does not provide any basis for dressing well to go to church. Do you believe it is wrong?

The Bible does not provide any basis for a regular Wednesday night service. Do you believe it is wrong?

The Bible does not provide any basis to have individual copies of Scripture. Do you believe it is wrong to own a Bible?

The Bible does not provide any basis for Bible study materials. Do you believe this is wrong?

The Bible does not provide any basis to bury a body under the ground. Do you believe it is wrong?

The Bible does not provide any basis for embalming a body (this comes from pagan practices). Do you believe it is wrong?

The Bible does not provide a basis to use a casket (Orthodox Jews still don't). Do you believe caskets are wrong?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said "let the dead bury their dead". He was speaking to Christians (to His Disciples). The first "dead" refer to the lost, not to believers. The second "dead" refers to those who have physically died.

Are you suggesting that Christians are not to bury anyone, or attend funerals, but instead are to preach?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would dispute the validity of many of these statements, but doing so would only serve to move the discussion further and further away from the subject of the thread. I do not care what you say CoC do or do not do. I believe in intensely studying the totality of the Bible and allowing it to direct everything that we are to do, whether by explicit statement or necessary inferences, etc.

19. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    This challenge was not to you. Someone else made a claim. That person needs to back up his claim with direct quotes from what he claims I said.

• Like Like x 1
  20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post #90 where you accused me of misrepresenting what Jesus said.

So, you corrected me (an astute observation BTW, well done) that Jesus actually stated “let the dead bury their dead”.

Your argument is that Jesus is giving instructions in these passages that Christians should be buried.

But then you rightly point out in the verses you are using to support that claim, Jesus isn’t talking about believers but rather “the dead bury their dead” For believers, Jesus says “follow Me” and “preach the kingdom of God”.

Now, unless you are claiming believers are “dead”, and are not commanded in these verses to follow Jesus, you are, in fact, saying Jesus was speaking about unbelievers in these passages “burying” their dead.

And that does disprove your argument.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.