1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Doctrine of Justification: The True Gospel

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ReformedBaptist, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You believe Catholics are categorically hellbound. That in and of itself is an example of bashing of persons.
    That's been done. His claims of heresy and not truly being reformed have been posted, and to date, unsubstantiated. His bashing of persons is thereby established. At least you attempt to cite support for your position, albeit flawed (that a caltholic is categorically hellbound).

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I knew this is what it boiled down to..it was just a matter of time, and I told you before you said it. lol

I knew this would eventually boil down to any who thinks that Roman Catholics who truly adhere to ROman Catholic doctrines are in danger of hell would be bashers. Whatever.

The last pope committed the eternal destiny of his soul into the hands of Mary. I think he is in hell. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Now, I have challenged you on your accusations of me and you have showed nothing. Your own posts were confusing to me. Are you or are you not part of an emergent church ?

I never found out, but that is not the subject of this thread. And I really dont care. You have said you hold to the 1689 London Baptist Confession so I will use that as your statement of what you believe.

My conclusion is that you dont have an argument so you went off on these litte whiney tangents.

Get back to the topic.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, it boils down to a handful of holier-than-thou folks who don't know how to engage in civil and respectful discussion on the topic, taking issue with anyone who attempts to engage ehtm in said discussion.
    I showed you clearly where you made false accusations about me.
    No. I believe what I said was my church has some customs on Sunday mornings that Emergent churches use.
    Translation: Reformed Baptis doesn't think he needs to have evidence when accusing someone, nor does he need to retract his position when it's discovered he made them in error.
    The topic is the incessent need for some folks to be preoccupied with bashing catholics, and crying foul when anyone calls them on it.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I notice that you ignored my question about being a Christian.

How about this one: are you a universalist?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Uh, of course I'm a Christian. I've never put up a single post which would remotely suggest otherwise.

6. ReformedBaptist

I never accused you of anything. You are the one who said your church was emergent. Now it comes out that you have customs that the emergent heretic churches use.

Now get back the topic and stop whining.

7. ReformedBaptist

What is a Christian.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you've said a couple of things that if you wandered into my church, I'd have to ask if you're a Christian.

Are you a universalist?

#48 JohnDeereFan, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've said absolutely nothing of the sort.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, actually, you have. At best, you appear to be a universalist.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, I haven't.
    At best, you appear to be a false judger of peoples' Christian faith.

12. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you say so. But I'm not the only one who has questioned you on it.

Jesus and I may be "false judgers" in your eyes, but at least I'm in good company.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Given the fact that you can't cite any place where I did so, yes, I say so.
    Sir, I serve Jesus, I know Jesus, Jesus is a friend of mine. Sir, you're no Jesus.

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't need to cite them again because I (as well as others) have already addressed them.

You say that Jesus is your friend, but your response to His word is "doctrine shmoctrine". That doesn't sound like something a friend would say.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    n/t

Not worth wasting my time. Welcome to my ignore list.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Impossible. You couldn't have addressed what did nto exist.
    That wasn't my response to his word. It was the response to your preconcieved notion that a person must adhere to your application of doctrine before being cosidered saved.

There are a lot of people who, at times of dispair, cried out to Jesus to save them, and who accepted him as Savior, long before they ever cracked open a bible. You'd have us believe they weren't saved, because they didn't know doctrine yet.
    Translation: "Yes, I know I accused you of something falsely, but I'm not going to man up and acknowlege it".
    How junior high.

#56 Johnv, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that you don't believe one must affirm the doctrines the Bible says one must affirm to be saved is one of the many things you have said here that calls your claim to be a Christian into question.

And, second, you know very well that I never said anything about anyone adhering to "my application of doctrine". You have made this claim repeatedly and for you to still falsely accuse me of this is further proof that your conscience is seared and that you feel free to continue sinning.

I have explained several times now that we're not talking about knowing doctrine, but knowing what the Bible says and rejecting it.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I worship Christ, not scripture. I never said it's not necessary to affirm the doctrines of scripture. You, however, continue to show your lack of understanding on the matter, given the fact that you were shown the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification by the Lutheran World Federation and the Catholic Church, which reads, "Through Christ alone are we justified...", and you continue to misapply your own reasoning, as though it were scripture itself.
    Well, you believe your application to be the same as scripture. You've failed to discern between the two.
    Nice try, but the fact is you've been shown the Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification by the Lutheran World Federation and the Catholic Church, where it says expressly that both bodies accept justification through Christ alone. The reason you refuse to accept it is because it causes your entire argument to fall apart.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Whew! After wading through about 50 posts, none of which dealt with the OP, I'd like to make a request.

Billwald linked the RCC Catechism, but I couldn't find with a quick search what it said about justification. So, to save time, will someone who knows please post the RCC doctrine on justification. I don't know exactly what it is, so i can't comment one way or the other.

Also, one other request. Rather than stating what the RCC teaches about justification, would it be possible to quote the RCC stating for itself what it believes? That way, nothing gets lost in translation.

Can anybody help?

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member