1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Function of the Law in the New Covenant..pt2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praising God, Serving His People, Testifying of His Wonderful Works and Love, Learning of God, Learning of The Love of Christ--That's How i Love God. And it could be said, "Since i DO love God (not perfectly) i do not have a DESIRE to break His commands."

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do i love my neighbor?

I share the Gospel with them. If i know of a need, I try and meet it. I LOVE THEM with my Deeds...i pray with them, help them, encourage them. I visit them in the hospital, take food to them, etc etc.

1 3:18
    Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.

Maybe this is what is wrong with the professing church? Many people do not engage in actively loving people. Instead they "try not to steal from them."

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Listen Jon...you cannot retreat like a turtle into these vague subjective statements....
    .your affections???

are toward God???

By the Power of the Spirit???

That does not define much at all does it? A new believer asks you okay how do I do any of this???

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love God with all your "Heart" "Mind" "soul" "Strength"--Affections are an aspect of this--Rightly Desiring God and wanting Him as my possession more than anything else in this life.

Sorry bro, if you don't get this then i really can't help you

Psalm 42:1
    As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.

Psalm 84:2
    My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD; My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.

Loving God means desiring to spend time with Him, Learning of Him, Singing to Him, Praising Him, Laboring for Him, Serving His People....Trusting Him, Seeking Him, Obeying Him.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "JonShaff,
    Okay...now you are getting to it...

Is there a time God has set aside for that.....we can praise God everyday but for many they are also working5-6 days a week....To praise God in the assembly of the saints...has God given any commands on how to do that, or has He always allowed His people to "freestyle"?
    Yes....this implies we would have to know who His people are, maybe meet with them.....how do we serve them? Do we serve them by coveting what they have?

Maybe we do this by going over the first Exodus and explaining the people were in Bondage, God set then free.....then gave the redeemed people of God a set of laws based on the ten commandments....and now he does the exact same thing for us, His NT.people?

--
    Yes ....maybe God has helped us to understand something about Himself and how to approach Him:

Exodus 20 King James Version (KJV)
    20 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lordwill not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Commands...like this;
    12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a valid concern....biblical hospitality, visiting the sick and prisoners...making disciples...yes we agree here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you actually contemplate murdering people? Whether in a spiritual or physical sense? The Lord Jesus said if you have anger without a cause against your brother you're endanger of Judgment. Do you seek to murder people?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you don't. You're destroying the continuity of the text.

Yes, you do. I provided the related passages.

Never did get a response here from the 'Reformed clique', wanna give it a try?

The Function of the Law in the New Covenant..pt2

Which of the following highlighted portions from the text are descriptive of born from above, quickened, children of God?

7 to them that by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and incorruption, eternal life: Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

10 but glory and honor and peace to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek: Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified: Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

25 For circumcision indeed profiteth, if thou be a doer of the law: but if thou be a transgressor of the law, thy circumcision is become uncircumcision. Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

26 If therefore the uncircumcision keep the ordinances of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be reckoned for circumcision? Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Regenerate, yes or no? If not, why not?

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See, we are not too far from understanding each other! :)

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "1689Dave

Moses did not share your point of view Dave....it seems to be quite different; DEUT4
    5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the Lord my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.

6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the Lord our God is in all things that we call upon him for?

8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

This was given to them to be noticed by the nations

#190 Iconoclast, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jon.....no one is trying to divide or make enemies here. I am offering what I can in an effort to plant seed in your mind.
    I do think you currently boarded a theological train that is sincere but misguided....so I am offering other options so you can switch trains at the next station...or at least somewhere in the near future:Sick:Redface:Sick:Wink

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe i just do not articulate my thoughts well? I love God's law--but We are not under it. We are under the Direction of the Spirit and the Word--under the Covenant of the New Testament in the Blood and Righteousness of Christ. AND the Lord Jesus Lives in me! I love the entirety of the OT--it's God's Word! Christ is the OT manifested in the Flesh. But where we may differ is the intentions of certain aspects of the Law. The Law blessed God's people by Restricting evil from those who did not love God or People. Does that not make sense to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.