1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Function of the Law in the New Covenant..pt2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the language of a regenerate soul, and it sums up the contents of the verses immediately preceding. The unregenerate man is wretched indeed, but he is a stranger to the “wretchedness” here expressed, for he knows nothing of the experience which evokes this wail. The whole context is devoted to a description of the conflict between the two natures in the child of God. “I delight in the law of God after the inward man” (v. 22), is true of none but born-again persons. But the one thus “delighting” discovers “another law in his members.” This reference must not be limited to his physical members, but is to be understood as including all the various parts of his carnal personality. This “other law” is also at work in the memory, the imagination, the will, the heart, etc.

This “other law,” says the apostle, warred against the law of his mind (the new nature), and not only so, it brought him “into captivity to the law of sin.” (v. 23) To what extent he was brought into “captivity” is not defined. But brought into captivity he was, as is every believer. The wandering of the mind when reading God’s Word, the issuing from the heart (Mark 7:21) of evil thoughts when we are engaged in prayer, the horrid images which sometimes come before us in the sleep-state— to name no others—are so many examples of being “brought into captivity to the law of sin.” “If the evil principle of our nature prevails in exciting one evil thought, it has taken us captive. So far it has conquered, and so far are we defeated, and made a prisoner” (Robert Haldane).

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2. What is meant by delight in God’s law?

The Hebrew and Septuagint both render it, “his will is in the law of the Lord;” and that which is voluntary is delightful; a gracious heart serves God from a principle of ingenuousness; he makes God’s law not only his task, but his recreation;

upon this scripture stock I will graft this proposition:

Doctrine. That a child of God, though he cannot serve the Lord perfectly, yet he serves him willingly; his will is in the law of the Lord; he is not a pressed soldier, but a volunteer;

by the beating of this pulse we may judge whether there is spiritual life in us, or not. David professes that God’s law was his delight, Psa. 119.77. He had his crown to delight in; he had his music to cheer him; but the love he had for God’s law drowned all other delights — as the joy of harvest and vintage exceeds the joy of gleaning.

“I delight in the law of God,” says St. Paul, “in the inner man,” Rom. 7.22. The Greek word is, I take pleasure; the law of God is my recreation, and it was a heart delight; it was in the inner man; a wicked man may have joy in his face, 2Cor. 5.12,1 like honey-dew that wets the leaf; but the wine of God’s Spirit cheers the heart; Paul delighted in the law, in the inner man

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is straight up sheer fabrication, ADDING to the gospel, exactly like you reformed types add to the gospel the unscriptural justification by faith 'alone'. We are told in the scripture that God commanded Adam this:

16 And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
    17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Gen 2

But you reformed types add ten more! On thin air!

It seems to me the ten commandments, the law, would be contained in that tree of the knowledge of good and evil by type. You know, along the lines of:

9 And I was alive apart from the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died; Ro 7

What gets me about you reformed types is how you judge other people if they don't agree with your fabrications or don't see things your way.

#143 kyredneck, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    THE saint’s delight in the law of God proceeds,
    1. From soundness of judgment. The mind apprehends a beauty in God’s law; now the judgment draws the affections, like so many orbs after it; “The law of God is perfect,” Psalm 19.7. It does not need be eked out with traditions. The Hebrew word for perfect, seems to allude to a perfect, entire body that lacks none of the members or lineaments;

2 God’s law must necessarily be perfect, for it is able to make us wise to salvation, 2Tim. 3.15. The Septuagint renders it, “the law of the Lord is pure,” like beauty that has no stain, or wine that is clarified and refined. The soul that looks into this law, seeing so much lustre and perfection cannot help but delight in it; the middle lamp of the sanctuary being lighted from the fire of the altar, gave light to all the other lamps: So the judgment being lighted from the word, it sets on fire the lamps of the affections.

2. This holy delight arises from the predominance of grace. When grace comes with authority and majesty upon the heart, it fills it with delight; naturally we have no delight in God; “Therefore they say to God depart from us, for we do not desire the knowledge of your ways;” indeed, there is not only a dislike, but an antipathy; sinners are called haters of God, Rom. 1.30. But when grace comes into the heart, O what a change is there! Grace preponderates; it files off the rebellion of the will; it makes a man of another spirit, Num 14.24.3 It turns the lion-like fierceness into a dove-like 12 THE SAINT’S SPIRITUAL DELIGHT.

sweetness, it changes hatred into delight; grace puts a new bias into the will; it works a willingness and cheerfulness in God’s service. “Your people shall be a willing people in the day of your power,” Psalm 110.8. 3. This holy delight in religion is from the sweetness of the end. Well may we with cheerfulness let down the net of our endeavour, when we have so excellent a draught. Heaven at the end of duty causes delight in the way of duty.

#144 Iconoclast, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    kyredneck,

Looks as if you cannot welcome it at this time...

WELL I guess y'all are lawless than. Tell me which of the ten commandments Y'all want to do away with?

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're ADDING, going BEYOND what is written Icon, pure and simple.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! YOU'RE ADDING TO THE SCRIPTURES!

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Psalmist says he delights in the Law or that he loves the Law, he is expressing his Love for God revealed in the Scriptures...BECAUSE the Law is transfused with the Historical Narrative of God and His people. The Psalmist loves God's Redemption, mercy, atonement and covenantal love towards His people. Just like when we say we love God's Word...we Really mean (if expressing correctly) we Love Christ and His Father through the Spirit!

The Psalmist expresses His love for God as a result of knowing Him through His word...A limited revelation of God at that time. And as the writer of Hebrews states, God has revealed Himself in the Person of Jesus Christ -- we now Delight in Our King...The WORD made Flesh!!!

Of course I love the law and it's intentions. It reflects the nature and Character of God. But Christ is the substance and fulfillment and He is my delight and on Him will I meditate day and night!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    or..I am understanding what is written
    time will tell Kyred....

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thats why we do not agree at this time.....you see me adding to scripture, I see where I am processing what it written;
    29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

was the Son a law keeper, or law breaker?

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....that is why we are given the Spirit.....so we can join hearts with all the people of God. There is no choice here...it is a must, not optional;
    22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

24 My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pharisees said He was a law breaker ;)

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Iconoclast of course Christ our Lord was a law keeper...The law wasn't made for just persons but sinners and the unrighteous. 1 Tim. 1

Galatians 3:19 Why then was the law given? It was added because of transgressions

Also, the law was added to protect those who desired to be God pleasers. It was to restrict evil upon the community and provide justice. It could not bring about righteousness.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where do you think they ended up? How will that work out for them at the White Throne judgment?

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    no.....you are jumping to the ceremonial laws here.....The Ten Commandments was not added...they were already there.

16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But yall are accusing me of being lawless as well because I speak of the righteousness of Christ. Don't you see the similarities between yall and them in this conversation?

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where did the Psalmist speak against God's law in psalm 119?
    which of the 10 commandments is not necessary now?

18. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I speak against God's Law? Or the Ten Commandments? Law is the shadow, Christ is the substance. I want to please my Lord according to His Word and Spirit. What do the Apostles say about the law in Acts 15?

Necessary for what?

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Iconoclast

So unregenerate man has the law inside him and comprehends it to some degree, but has to be born again to believe the Gospel? Come on Bro....This ain't adding up.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    i believe romans 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.