1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Fuss Over The Name of Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DrJamesAch, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the scribes who complied the LXX weren’t exactly pagans & they used Iesous (when referring to Joshua)--& unless someone can show me ancient NT writings that pre-date the original Greek (& yes I’m well aware of the supposed earlier Hebrew or Aramaic NT versions which have never been produced—thus are only pure speculation)—then I’m saying the evidence supports that Paul, John, Peter, & the other NT writers used the name Iesous (when referring to Jesus) when they wrote the Greek autographs. Exactly what Greek letters would you have used to transliterate the Hebrew name? Further, you do realize that El was a main god in the Canaanite pantheon, thus would the plural Elohim be referring to him? And although you’re insisting on Acts 4:12 to support your point-what language do you think it was originally written in? B/c v 10 has Iesou Christou tou Nazoraion (genitive sg) which is what v 11’s houtos estin & v 12’s onama refers back to. Thus the writer of Acts (more than likely Luke) used the very name your arguing against to be the only name under heaven which men are saved. While the speech itself was probably in Aramaic (or maybe Hebrew)—the earliest record we have of it came from Greek & the writer had no problem with the Iesous name.
    While it does seem you have good intentions-- I’m beginning to think you’re overzealous about matters that have no genuine impact on biblical soteriology.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Exactly! The Apostle identified the name he was referring to that we must be saved by as being Jesus Christ!

3. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

question is WHO was the writer ?

4. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

WOW is all I have to say

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The title is of great importance.
    When Esther approached King Ahasuerus, it was the title that was important. She couldn't say: "Hey, "Haz," Could I have a minute of your time?' Not even the full name of "Ahasuerus" would have done. It had to be "King" Ahasuerus. His title was important and had she not addressed him so, she could have been killed.
    She had had to be very careful and had to take the utmost protocol.
    She wrote:
    "And if I perish; I perish."
    It was not certain that she would gain an entrance to the king, even with all of that.

Some day every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of the Father.
    He shall be called "King of kings and Lord of lords. Those titles are very important. All will address him as such and all will bow down to him addressing him thusly. It will be "LORD" that will be the most important title that he will have.

In the book of Revelation we read:
    Revelation 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
    Revelation 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

The names/titles held such great importance; were so powerful that they caused John to fall as a dead person at the feet of Jesus. Jesus had to calm his fears. "The Alpha and Omega,"The first and the last."
    These are not just any titles, but names which have great power, names from which demons flee.

Why?
    Jesus answers why:
    Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
    --All power and authority has been given unto him, even the keys of hell and death. His names/titles reveal this. They are important; they are powerful. They will stop the devil himself dead in his tracks.

6. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I never said titles weren't important--I said you are using and referring to titles when saying they are actual names of people.

Lord and God was put in our bibles to replace the actual name of YAH

when a verse says call upon the NAME of THE LORD---translaters took out the actual name and replace it with THE LORD--the writer is telling us to call upon a name and when that NAME is taken and replaced by a title--people don't know what NAME they should call upon !!!

the actual wording of that should be------------

Call upon the name of YAH---now you have an actual NAME to call upon.

The actual NAME of YAH was taken out over 6k times in our bibles and replace with titles of Lord and God.

BUT they missed 1 incident of it in scripture --Thank YAH!!!

Psalm 68-4 his name is YAH !!!

7. Steadfast Fred

The translators were careful to translate every Greek and Hebrew word. They left nothing out at all.

8. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I beg to differ with you-and they also added unto

9. Steadfast Fred

This site, proves that HW is not Baptist, but is rather a member of the Sacred Name cult.

The specifics that they identify in association with the Sacred Name cult is being pushed by HW on this forum.

10. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Rather friend Psalm 68-4 proves im a Baptist who actually believes the scripture!!! His name is YAH :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is the original Greek. There are no translators involved here.
    Whose name are we to call upon?

If anything was changed: Who changed it? When was it changed? Where was changed? At what place? Date? etc. Give the facts, not speculation.

Romans 10:13 πας γαρ ος αν επικαλεσηται το ονομα κυριου σωθησεται

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.