The herdsman pastor

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Deacon, May 3, 2020.

1. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. ;)

2. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But does Mitch understand that we understand?

3. Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is this thread about?

4. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastors who are not acting as a shepherds of a flock but as herdsman of cattle.

Round-em-up, get-em-in.

Rob

5. Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, thank you for the clarification.

By the way, when I see you and your wife in your new avatar photo I think the two of you should be riding around in a red MG convertible car.

:Tongue

6. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Matthew 6

24“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

7. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn’t fit! Always dreamed of having a red Corvette, now that I could afford one, if I had one I probably couldn’t get out of it without help.

I shaved the quarantine beard yesterday. Can’t have one with an n95 mask.

Rob

8. Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My small church (and I mean max of at least 50 members with an average of about 30 attendees a week), is being particularly blessed during this time. But it is mostly because our members are older and are retired and are not being affected by job loss. Even still, my pastor and and a lot of the older staff are wanting us to open up quickly (perhaps by the end of this month). I am... kind of conflicted about it because on the one hand I want us to be safe, and I think, if we DID open up, people wouldn't be following the guidelines that would be set in place (being six feet apart in seating etc.), because people would want to embrace/be close when talking (especially us women! lol) and I just feel like as a church, we should strive to keep our members safe (and not to test God as my father would be quick to point out) but our Zoom meetings have been a success! We have had many attendees and as long as our pastor is getting the Word out and we have face to face interactions via that I think it would suffice until they have a cure. Our finances are fine and I think will continue to be fine in our case (praise be to God!) But in the end it IS our pastor's decision, and I only hope he is considering what the Lord wants and not what the majority of our congregation wants (or by the opinion of the majority in the country)

I think on the verse of Proverbs 3:5-6 in this situation:

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

We all should learn patience and trust and think about what the Lord would want us to do. The Lord gave us technology and I think we can use it to glorify Him as much as glorifying him in a physical setting. Besides, isn't the church a group of people? Not a building?

9. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd love to see over the internet explosion with Christianity. Most the kids already in here. Maybe God is pushing the church into the trenches.

10. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The false characterization of pastors who work to resume normal church services.

11. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trust the Lord and be wise.

As one who works in a medical office, we are eager to return to doing our jobs in the traditional office setting.
    Our concern is that since the virus is spread by asymptomatic viral carriers we don’t want to be a source of infection to others. We want to keep ourselves AND our patients safe. We don’t want to risk our reputation for caring for people and saving lives. As the office opens next week we have taken extra-ordinary measures to insure this.

It’s a concern Christians should have as well. We want to be known for bringing life to others and showing Christian love to the world around us.

What precautions will the church be willing to take to show they care for the lives of their worshipers and those that their worshipers come in contact with?

[Church] business as usual won’t cut it.

Rob

12. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Is that the reason - or is it they were brought up in a society in which you
    are able to trust virtually everyone.

13. just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A fault I am “blessed” with!?!? :oops: But yes, a contract was a handshake, and IT WAS HONORED!!!!

14. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One may easily reconcile both statements:

The elderly are easily scammed because, like children, they trust virtually everyone.