1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The history of how Sunday worship came about.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This'n's stayed pretty active for years!

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, about 20 years with the current version. I recall there was something we had before this one -- maybe there was a change of hosts or something, but it was replaced by what we have currently. Anyway, we may come and go, but the Board itself seems to have stayed around for the long haul. I think that is a pretty good record, considering the other "social media" options that people have available today.

3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "a [indefinite article] sabbath" is a 'rest' or 'cessation' (from anything, usually labour). Did you read my study?

6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Didn’t he just make it legal?

I thought Xian’s had always worshipped on Sunday which is not a big deal. The idea is 1 in 7

7. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Have you seen these materials on the historical account of Christianity (along with the book of Acts 13-20? carefully):

Jeff Dowell - 206 Sunday, the First Day of the Week in the Bible

(there are currently 43 presentations, but only watch the ones you need to).

Jeff Dowell - 209 History of the Sabbath 1st to the 15th Century

Jeff Dowell - 210 History of the Sabbath 16th to the 19th Century

Jeff Dowell - 211 History of the Sabbath 20th and 21st Century

8. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Constantine was being pressured (by the other Emperors politically, and needed the support of the Military, Money and Religion), and there was argumentation amongst the already corrupt, compromised and heretical bishops, etc (arians, etc), and needed solidity, even as his own religion (pagan sun worship) was being affected. You can read that history here:

The Two Republics, by A.T. Jones.

https://ia601901.us.archive.org/13/items/sda-a-t-jones-the-two-republics/SDA - A T Jones - The Two Republics.pdf

I cannot find "1 in 7" in scripture, in regards "sabbath", implicitly or explicitly. Where do you get the idea from?

As for "big deal", isn't Creation (Genesis1-2) & Redemption (Jesus resting in tomb), of which the "sabbath" is tied to, a "big deal"?

#68 Alofa Atu, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  9. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I didn't read your study. I wanted to answer your question about Hebrews rather than debate "sabbaths", but wanted to make sure that we were not going to just talk past one another. I needed to be certain that we both understood "sabbath" to mean the same thing.

10. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 3 [NKJV]
    1 Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus, 2 who was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Moses also was faithful in all His house. 3 For this One has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as He who built the house has more honor than the house. 4 For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God. 5 And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, 6 but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.

7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:
    “Today, if you will hear His voice,

8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
    In the day of trial in the wilderness,
    9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me,
    And saw My works forty years.
    10 Therefore I was angry with that generation,
    And said, ‘They always go astray in
    their heart,
    And they have not known My ways.’
    11 So I swore in My wrath,

‘They shall not enter My rest.’ ”
    12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; 13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, 15 while it is said:

Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.”

16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? 17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 3 sets up a discussion on "entering into My rest" and a series of warnings for the people of God (holy brethern) based on the example from those led by Moses. It concludes with a statement that they could not enter in because of unbelief, that is immediately preceded by a statement that they would not enter into God's rest. Thus one cannot enter into God's rest because of unbelief.

11. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4 [NKJV]

1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:
    “So I swore in My wrath,
    ‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
    [fn]
    although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”
    6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

Do not harden your hearts.”

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

Hebrews 4 turns to the fulfillment of the promise. The REST OF GOD was finished from the foundation of the world (where have we heard that before) and those that enter into the rest of God, rest from their works (shades of Ephesians 2). Jesus is our rest from the labor of self-sanctification (and the bulls and lambs breathed a sigh of relief).

As you said ... sabbath IS 'rest' or 'cessation from labor' ... so Jesus is our REST / SABBATH.

[That was my guess. JonC will have to answer for himself if he had a different verse in mind.]

12. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    @atpollard I didn't read your study. I will wait until you read mine first. Thanks. That way I can know we are on the same page. Let me know when you are serious (Psalms 18:26 KJB). :rolleyes:

13. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was nothing to discuss. You asked where Hebrews 3 and 4 talked about Jesus as our sabbath (Rest), so I highlighted the verses that talk about entering the Rest of God. You are free to reject all of it, I was simply suggesting verses that JonC might have been thinking of in his reference to Jesus as our sabbath.

I got no dog in this fight.

14. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So be it. I am satisfied with the Bible texts provided to you.

15. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not believe you for one moment.

16. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief! I looked at your link (which isn't even by Alofa Atu).

Here is our conversation:

So you require that I read a 4 page, 70 post wall of text to earn the right to answer a simple question about where JonC might see "Jesus is our sabbath" or to point out which specific verse in Hebrews 3 or 4 I was referring to?

No thank you!
    It is not I that have a hidden agenda here.
    You have asked disingenuous questions and made unreasonable requests.

#76 atpollard, May 19, 2021
  17. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have literally hundreds of names online. I have been banned from Christian Forums over 50 times. I lost count a long time ago. I simply show up when I want to. I am the 7th Colporteur, among many others there.

I didn't bother to take the time to read the rest of your post. It was disingenuous ('looked at'; Prov. 26:5) from the beginning.

#77 Alofa Atu, May 19, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk to the hand, TROLL. [engage ignore]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm surprised you have lasted here as long as you have. The fact that you have been banned by 50 Christian Forums is very telling. This board is has been ver patient with you, but your constant proselytizing is usually not tolerated for very long here. I suspect you have been banned here before as your posts are very similar to another poster that crossed the line. Several other members have messaged me suspecting that you have been banned here before and just the rules disregard the boards rules.

At least you don't engage in 'Cut & Paste' apologetics like some of your other SDA 'brethren'.

20. Alofa Atu

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since the question, "What is a sabbath?" has been answered, perhaps now another question can be answered.

I have repeatedly asked where the teaching "Jesus is my sabbath." is in scripture, and I get no definitive answers, only vague assertions and no following evidences for corroboration. I have repeatedly shown that Hebrews 3-4; Romans 14 and Colossians 2 shows no such thing either, though even a basic reading of the text ought to have been plain to anyone serious of knowing and practicing the truth in this matter. I do not even find the concept of "my sabbath" (human perspective) anywhere in scripture (KJB), unless someone can provide that also?

Jeff Dowell - 205 Jesus is My Sabbath

#80 Alofa Atu, May 19, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.