1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Monergist View of the Human Will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are bound through sin not to sin. All this is from the misuse of one verse. m

If there is no free will, who sinned initially?

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. I will not be party to that type of thread here. If you want to go that route, that is on you. I will simply tune you out. I am not going to get into constant bickering over things that are of no substance. Stay on topic or talk to the wind. This is the last time I am going to post about this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? This does not make sense. Every person is born into a state of sin. Every person is born with a sin nature and their will is in bondage to sin. The only way that can change is through an act of God the Holy Spirit.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quoted you, How can you say wrong?

5. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a sin nature.
    Yes, we are only bound to sin because we continue in sin,
    You have the power,
    Jhn 1:12
    But as many as received him, to them gave he power tobecome the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Rev 3:20
    Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

then we must have the freedom to accept Christ

The question is, if there is no free will , how did sin occur initially?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wrong, you did not attack me. I apologize, I had just responded to the "I Believe in Free Will" when your thread started when you repeated the points i just debunked.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...And if God wants to make a rock so BIG that even He can't lift it I suppose He will do that too, eh? :)

Eze_33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you , as they have to force into this the middle grounds, in order to preserve their own will as the a
    Dead people can do nothing to save themselves!

9. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jde 1:18 KJV - How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus have Free Will?

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When will you guys stop taking this passage out of its context?

He is speaking to the Pharisees that are rejecting Him. They were already rejecting the Father, therefore, would not receive the Son. Those who were following Yahweh in Christ's day were being drawn to Christ because they were already the Father's. Please, stop doing violence to the text!

12. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, all doesn’t mean ‘everybody w/o exception’, correct?

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ was speaking to a specific group with a specific purpose...the Phrarisees wanted many kicked out of Israel because they didn't meet their "righteousness." The Lord was saying all who are God's (in Israel at that time) will follow the Son. Keep it in its historical context. Read John 9 and 10.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess you missed the point, it has to do with logic along with truth, but nevermind and shame on you for that unfounded and uncalled for accusation against me. I neither mock God or walk in my own ungodly lusts. Thank you.

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no point beyond trying to learn what each side believes. I am not trying to trick you or trap you, I promise.

You started the thread, you stated, to discuss what monergists believe concerning free will and, apparently, compare that to what synergists believe.

I am trying to gather information. I thought it best to start with what each side agrees on. Nothing more or less.

Now, both sides agree God must intervene and the Gospel must be presented.

Is it fair to say that both sides believe that a person must respond to God intervening and the gospel presentaion with faith in Jesus Christ?

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm asking if both monergists and synergists believe a person must respond to God's intervention and the gospel presentation with faith in Jesus Christ?

17. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you still never answered my question.

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, I have learned to question the motives of some posters on this board. You would think that honesty is an attribute that most BB members possess. Sadly, that is not the case.

The Monergist believes that a person must be made able to respond. The Synergist believes a person already has that ability. This is not a distinction without a difference. It goes to the heart of the disagreement. The Monergist believes the Holy Spirit regenerates the sinner and then the sinner responds to the Gospel call by faith. The Synergist believes the Gospel call is made and the sinner has the opportunity to accept or reject it. The Monergist believes that every person who is regenerated will believe. The Synergist does not believe regeneration precedes belief. Also, many Synergists will disagree with your premise that God must first intervene. They would not consider the Gospel call an intervention against the free will of the creature. These may seem like mere nuances, but they are not.

19. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't both suggest God initiates salvation, Synergists accept there is man's cooperation , Monergists do not?

20. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever will Jesus had, He submitted to the will of His Father.
    Luk 22:42 KJV - Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.