1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The ONE QUESTION KJVOs can't correctly answer...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can think of some improvements over the KJV where Nestle Aland 27-28 used Granville Sharp's rule in some christological passages making them clearer than the KJV.

2. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we are missing the point. If it bothers the conscience it is sin, even if it is not actually sinful. Because you cannot have faith if you think you are sinning. So even good things are sin if not done in faith.

3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to start by looking for a Bible that does not translate John 1:1 as "... and the Word was a god." as a definite indication of a "better" translation. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "conscience" is as fallen as the will.

Such decisions as to the Scriptures and as to all matters of faith and practice are not up to personal expressions or opinions, but are principles placed in Scriptures.

For example, this business of the Scriptures is not unrelated to the same line of thinking when it comes to intoxicants. Again, not to derail the thread, but to state that a principle is involved.

The high priests, while serving, were not to take any intoxicants. Are not the believers of a higher calling than even those who brought sacrifice before the God of Heaven?

So, too it is with the Scriptures. They (as were the lambs) should be examined for consistent purity, for righteousness in presentation, and for the lack of stain from abuse of sin.

The principles of the Scriptures are what drive the believer, not the conscience.

Another example is stewardship. The principle of stewardship would require to use the funds entrusted to me wisely and according to the advancement/support of the work of Christ, that the believer is to be a living sacrifice in not squandering what God has blessed them to be sustained. That would include such items as food, clothing, shelter, ... The principle would also exclude such things that are worldly such as the Hollywood movie houses, the dance halls, the professional athletic events... in which the funds go to support what is anti-christ both message and attributes.

There are other examples, were the believer must take the statements of Scriptures and present a principled life in choices.

That same principle applies to selecting a Bible, not from that which is convenient, easy, likable, or even that which is appealing as far as size. But that which is the most faithful as can be presented to the manuscripts.

That excludes none, but tempers the choosing from preference to what is best for that believer.

To the child, the NIV may be better than the NASB or the KJB.

I personally have a problem with the ESV in comparison to some others, but that may mean I have not grown in the Lord to the point of discerning the credibility some place in it.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why Paul tells us to take it easy on those who are not enlightened in certain areas. If it bothers your conscience, it is sin even if it is not, because you cannot have faith in that state of mind. And whatever is not of faith is sin.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever is not of faith is sin does not exclude that deeds done in the flesh may also be sin.

The iniquity and trespasses are both held accountable to the believer.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to me to be a pretty meager rational. I never had a problem understanding the reference to the Deity of Christ even without the Granville Sharp rule (which is inconsistently applied in some of the "better" versions).

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but why do you consider "The word was God" to be "better" than "the word was a god?" After all, there is no definite article before θεος (God) so does not the rule of Greek grammar demand the indefinite article?

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You answered your own question in the post above this one. :)

The Granville Sharp Rule states, “When the copulative kai connects two nouns of the same case, [viz. nouns (either substantive or adjective, or participles) of personal description, respecting office, dignity, affinity, or connexion, and attributes, properties, or qualities, good or ill], if the article ho, or any of its cases, precedes the first of the said nouns or participles, and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle” (Remarks on the Uses of the Definitive Article, 3).
    In other words, because the definite article is present before the first noun (ho Logos) then it follows that the second related noun is "related to that same person."

But you knew this, and I am merely wanting the casual reader to become aware of both the rule and why the JW rendering is in error.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They did not know of that Rule, but they should have translater some passages to show that God and Jesus meant same person, not 2 separate Ones!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it was Dr Wallace who showed that the times when it looks like the Rule was not true, was due to misapplication of the rule!

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that is not the reason the JWs are wrong. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but not too many have your education.

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true. But if something OK bothers your conscience because you think it is sin, it becomes sin because whatever is not of faith is sin.

16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a bit disappointed with is! I thought you were desperate to take apart some hapless KJV-only guy and when I give you the chance you bottle it. There's not one Scripture in your post either. ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of people don't seem to get this. If I make a conscious decision to do something that I think is a sin -- even if it is not -- then I am making a decision in my own mind to commit a sin. It breaks down the conscience. Compounded it increases my lack of aversion to commiting more sin.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the basic OP: BY WHAT AUTHORITY do you believe and preach the KJVO myth???????????? It's not found in Scripture whatsoever, so it CANNOT be true!

We have gotten away from the OP - as far as "what is sin" click on this link

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 4:15 PM Pacific.

20. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no support for KJVO, period...end of discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.