1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Seven Days of Creation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree it is Satan in Ezekiel as the King of Tyre vs the Prince of Tyre.

and they are reserved in darkness when previously they were in total light from the throne

Jde 1:6
    And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

and are here and expecting a time of torment

Mat 8:28
    And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.
    Mat 8:29
    And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    to open their eyes, to turn from darkness to light, and the authority of the Adversary unto God, for their receiving forgiveness of sins, and a lot among those having been sanctified, by faith that is toward me.Acts 26:18

Is that speaking of light and darkness relative the the rotation of the earth, which I believe began to take place on day 4 of Gen 1? Or is it speaking of the good of God, relative to the evil of Satan?

Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. John 11:9,10

Is that not speaking of the same good of God and evil of Satan as in Acts 26?
    Yet it is spoken as being twelve hours of each. I believe this points back to Gen 1:3 where God divided the good light, which he had just spoken to shine out of the darkness, which was already present upon the earth.and established both evening, morning, night, day and as twelve hours of each.

The sou would be established for it's job on day four.

BTW I consider myself as old earth and also a gapper.

3. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is best to remove your thinking from the human situation and consider the Bible from God's. I do not think many darkness and Light are actually our Day and Night but good and evil.

All references to day are not eras or ages but are 24 hr day or the daylight portion,

It was darkness , then Light then division, which is important because that is symbolic of our choices, good and evil

a search of darkness and light can show more of this distinction

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are allergorizing what is not an allorgory. God created darkness because God is light. Isaiah 45:7; 1 John 1:5; John 1:9; Hebrews 1:3. Now 1 John 1:5 stating God is light is using metaphore, in that God is not our material light-energy. E=mc^2

5. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    you judge where there is allegory or not. How can you be so sure?

Maybe there is more than we realize, Lucifer is "light bearer" who then is held in darkness , effectual and yet ironic

The formula is only correct if the speed of light is constant, maybe that is the prison. a limit on light here in this universe

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the basis of identifing allegory? In Genesis 1 nonetheless.

7. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While one may well interpret the context to imply 24-hour days, stating that Moses always meant so when using a numerical adjective with ‘yom’ begs the question, as this could be the exception. To demand another case reminds of the physics professor whose exam question asks to define the universe and give two examples. :)

8. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    as with languages, the meaning is not with the hearer,or reader. God intended yowm how can we decide further?

• Like Like x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did you decided that it was allegory? What is the logic to deduce this conclusion? Give the steps please.

10. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I decided to not rely on ANY teaching of man to be above scripture but scripture alone as I could understand which means I had to rely on a translation or dictionary lexicon since I do not know Hebrew or Greek I chose the Young's Literal Translation and Lexicons to begin
    I would not automatically dismiss scripture as a allegory especially that I did not understand. But some like Psalms and Song pf Solomon are filled with illustrative language

Scripture cannot contradict scripture

Scripture cannot be in conflict with the Nature of God

I started with the words of Jesus to understand and accept them. went from there

But Moses referring to yowm as he normally would. We cannot limit his thought to fit ours.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 20:11, ". . . For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. . . ." A 7 day Earth week.

12. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    these yowm translated day could be period of time as well, the emphasis i on SIX and SEVEN periods.
    Most references to creation could be this way. It could be 24 hr day but it brings questions.
    Why would God take 6 days or eons when He could have created all in an instant?
    The fallen Angels were here in prison. I think it was a very long time

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a good question as to why God took 6 24-hour days to create the universe, the heavens and the earth, but He did. Another good question is why is God waiting so long to bring this world to an end?

• Like Like x 1
  14. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know that answer. He loves us

2Pe 3:9

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2Pe 3:15

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While in theory we say it can mean “anything, everything, and nothing” (i.e., any one of three or four different ways “yom” is used in the Bible) in its context it does mean something, and that is what we are trying to discover. While the numerical adjective point of itself does not prove the days are 24 hours, in conjunction with other evidence it helps support the conclusion. It is not begging the question to inspect a writer’s writings to see if the rest of the writing offers any clues to his meaning in a particular place. We do this in our normal reading, as well as in our general study of the Bible. It is not infallible, but it is useful. At the least, Moses use elsewhere does not lend any assistance to the idea that days in Genesis 1 are undefined periods of time, and leaves the scholar and the student with “well, this must be an exception.”

16. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the same with most translations, not just scripture. Our English for love has so many modern uses that are not the same in other languages.We love ice cream, spouses and our Mothers, three different uses

17. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not question begging only for those predisposed to impose artificial limits. To limit Moses to saying something a certain way though all others are free to use all valid options doesn’t sound kosher.

Validating the limitation argument would first require listing all of the rejected opportunities to use a similar ‘yom’ construction for sequential long periods of time. Are there such?

18. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is limiting Moses from saying something a certain way. It is a matter of studying what he did write and trying to understand it, rather than imagining what else he might have written if he had the chance.

19. LDE

LDE New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How long did it take for Aarons rod to sprout, bud, flower, and produce ripe almonds ? Israel witnessed it ..
    I believe God called the natural from the supernatural and that began creation on the clock in the beginning of time .. I believe if God said He created all creation spoken in Genesis 1 in 6 days then He meant 6-24 hr days ..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LDE

LDE New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Bro, It seems God is waiting on a number instead of a date .. He told the souls in Revelation to wait a little longer .. Revelation 6:9-11 Meanwhile God has set a time for each generation and each person in their generation , us too if he tarries ..

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.