1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sharp Divide: How to deal with it

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald New Member

Well, to be fair, most people have little to no idea about what they believe in the FW vs. DoG debate. Not everyone participates on Internet message boards or reads up on the topics of the day. Many, and I mean many, people who have visited our church have no idea what the whole debate is about. Some hold to the FW position because it's what they've been taught, but they've never taken a critical look at the it. The same can be said of those raised in a DoG church and family.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Do two wrongs make a right? Nope.

2) Is a congregational church not lead by elders concerning the day to day operation of the church. The actual idea is that the Elder board reports to the congregation, and the Pastor is a member of the Elder board. So church polity is made pretty clear in the bible, and those who disagree are again on a power trip.

3) The premise that the Bible does not present a view we can all agree on is questionable, but you cannot alter the view of some whose mind is made up, and thus simply an prideful partisan. The problem with divisive people within the body goes deeper than doctrine, and demonstrates an inability to consider others more important than themselves. We could have this same discussion over contemporary music, or KJV over NASB, or all the other hot button issues constantly recycled but never resolved on this board.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am one of those who believe that they do indeed teach a different Gospel so we will always disagree. But you have taught me something though....I will have to add this to my list of questions to prospective pastors as to their beliefs before selecting a church. I would not want my family deluding themselves to believe that people of your ilk are really reformed when your just (well what you are)....sorry for being so blatant but we are strong in our way of practicing our faith & we sincerely believe it to be right. Human beings face the choice either to submit to the will of God or to pursue their own will & this choice has implications for everything else we think or do. You have blatantly ..... ah, forget it! Thats your choice.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Delete! Delete!

#44 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herald, I recently attended a Lutheran church out of a desire to be in fellowhip with other believers only to realize that, even though these Lutherans considered themselves orthodox Christians, that they taught a completely different gospel. They are Universal Atonement believers who are sacrimental ( they believe baptism saves) yada yada. I finally had to call the pastor & inform him I would no longer attend. His response is that he would sit down with me and show me how the gospel proofs his faith position. I had to decline....it has taken me 56 years to really be solid in what I believe, so now Im going to reverse myself & turn my back on what I believe....I dont think so. I also asked him if he could contemplate taking his wife & kids to a Reformed Baptist Church & exposing them to that belief system.....he could never do it...... so why then would I? What,LOL, for fellowship.... it really isnt though is it if your not confident of what the other guys teachin, you gotta feel at home.:smilewinkgrin:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on....a Reformed person going to a Free Will Baptist church? Please!!!! You'd be better served listening to Sermon Audio. And if your a confirmed Free Willer.... then you'd have to compromise their pursuit of their own free will in favor of submitting to the will of God? Anyway the choice of one or the other has serious implications for everything we think & do. I cant see any serious believer in Free Will ever compromising their own faith beliefs (unless they are not confident in what they believe).

For a DoG person, you'd have to change your entire prospective from a theocentric perspective to a anthropocentric one. Thats quite a leap.

#46 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  7. Herald

Herald New Member

There are degrees. Let's say I lived in an area where the only Baptist church was your standard garden variety Baptist church, and I was providentially hindered from traveling. I'm not referring to an official Free Will Baptist church, just a mainline independent Baptist church. If that's the only church in town I would probably attend (not join). However, if it truly was a Free Will Baptist church, with an aggressive stand on it's view of election/predestination, then I would not be able to attend. That would be a grievous thing because the means of grace received through the preached Word, fellowship, and the Lord's Supper would be withheld from me. I pray that I am never placed in that situation.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

9. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Doggone that's good! Glad to know we're all on the same page then.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is troubling in several ways. Unless a christian remains isolated almost to a point of world flight,as you interact with unbelievers concerning the gospel, this issue comes into play in conversation about spiritual things.

In some churches doctrine is on the back burner.Are people obeying the new testament commands for living the christian life as far as advance and growth of the Kingdom. To obey all the "one another" commands would dictate that these issues be discussed.

In churches where the people are naive concerning these issues....many times a group within the church starts to see how these truths are central to what we believe. They begin to grow...some nice and steady....some cage stage types.....
    As the demographic swings over those disgruntled persons who do not want anything to change speak of a "church takeover".
    Then comes the caricatures, emotional protests and griping.

The cage stagers counterattack....the others become talebearers.

13. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Herald.......This thread, I think, will, by default, prove the notion that there should be peaceable dis-association.

Committed Calvinists WILL NOT agree with the likes of myself, and others who believe in LFW.

Similarly, those who are committed to LFW...simply WILL NOT agree with those who teach otherwise....

That is NOT WRONG!!!! I am glad this particular discussion is brought up.

I would not attend a "Reformed" Church....and similarly, I would NOT support a missionary whom I knew to be "Reformed" in their Theology. I also would simply not begrudge YOU, if you also admitted as much.
    This has become the question of our era............
    And in our era......I hope for the best of Calvinist brethren, and also believe I cannot, in good conscience, support their teaching.
    I also would not expect them to support MINE.

If I were a missionary, I would NOT expect yours or Old Regulars, or Icon's Church to give me support......
    But, I would similarly not offer my support to them...........

There does not have to be an assumption of ill-will to our fellow-Christians, as I know my Calvinist brethren ideed are.........but merely a belief that it is most appropriate for separation of effort....We should part ways peaceably....

I hope the SBC will address this, and allow it to occur......

These two "camps" in which you and I find ourselves, are not going to "play nice".......we WON'T agree, and I would not respect you, if you compromised for the sake of "Unity"........nor would I think you would respect me if I compromised merely for the sake of "Unity"....

We ARE "Unified"......in the noble ideal of preaching to the lost the need for repentance and the confession of Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord for Salvation. In THAT respect, we are brethren, and we shall find out that we were ALL missing the point entirely when God explains our own stupidity to us in Glory....
    But, for now, we accept, and appreciate, and hope the best for one another for the furtherance of the kingdom.

I would like to think that Calvinists weren't flourishing under the tutelage of Arminian Churches......but, IMO, they are.

I don't think "Reformed" Churches are propogating themselves.........I think "Reformed" people are "taking-over" Arminian work..........
    I also think that "Reformed" folks are tired of hearing that.....

Therefore.....my proposition:

Dis-associate peaceably.........and cede to the "Reformed" crowd....every SBC Seminary along with all of their deeds and titles.....and wealth and what-not. You guys can have ALL of it, for all I care. And simply let them propogate themselves from now on.

Please, then, split the SBC........and let the Arminian faction NEVER accept a confessionally confirmed Calvist again.........and in 30 years........Calvinism will be a dying minority, and Arminianism will have propogated itself..........and Calvinists will AGAIN attempt to ressurect themselves upon the back of Arminian Churches and Seminaries, and the nasty and vicious cycle will continue.

Do your OWN "dirty work"..........and leave Arminian institutions ALONE....That is my hope.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I doubt if it's possible to ever bridge the divide between Calvinists and non-Calvinists. Neither side is going over to the other, just for the sake of unity.

Notice, I used the term non-Calvinist, instead of Arminian. I don't know any Southern Baptists who could be classified as Arminian.

So the question is not how to bridge the divide, but how to co-exist with each other. We have been able to do it in the congregation saturneptune and I serve.

One way is to concentrate on our shared beliefs instead of our differences.

For instance:
    We all believe in a sovereign God.
    We all believe in salvation by grace through repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    We all believe that the Holy Spirit must operate in the process.
    We all believe that the Holy Spirit illuminates darkened minds and hearts; convicts of sin; draws men and women through the preaching of the gospel.
    We all believe that Christ died for sinners.
    We all believe that works do not save.
    We all believe that Christ is able to keep those who are committed to him--and will lose none of them.

This does not mean we ignore differences in the process. It means we acknowledge those differences, but do not make them a test of fellowship.

In most SBC churches, DoGs will be in the minority, as it is in my church. My pastor is not a Calvinist. I will never publicly or privately seek to undermine his preaching and teaching. The church called him to be pastor, not me.

I will answer truthfully about my soteriology if I'm asked, but there will be no crusade to convert others to my way of thinking. I will not divide the church over this issue. And if you've ever been through a church fight, you won't either--unless it's about heresy.

#54 Tom Butler, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  15. Herald

Herald New Member

I'm not making suggestions as to how FW'ers and DoG'ers should go about separating. That's for each church to decide. My church is not in the SBC, nor does it want to be. But the fact is that the SBC has substantial investments in property and institutions of higher learning. For that reason alone I doubt that denomination will force one or the other out. Individual SBC churches will have to make their own decision as to their continued association.

As far as the DoG being a "dying minority"; that is not the historical record. Apart from the hubris of saying it goes back to the Apostle Paul, it has existed as a theological system since Augustine of Hippo. It has gone from minority to majority many times; but it has never been a "dying" majority.

16. Herald

Herald New Member

Tom, what is the dominant theological position taught from you pulpit when it comes to DoG or non-DoG?

17. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

18. Herald

Herald New Member

You really shouldn't drink and post.

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My pastor, to my recollection, has never dealt with the subject from the pulpit. However, my guess is, he would teach a non-DoG view. When and if it does come up, that'll be fine with me. It's his pulpit.

We have had two DoG pastors in the past. I don't recall that they ever dealt with it from the pulpit either. But their views were no secret.

Co-existence can work if both sides want it to work. Every DoG in my church is involved in the life of the church. saturneptune is a deacon and Sunday School Director. He is quite faithful in outreach and evangelism. Another DoG is one of our best Sunday School teachers. and is faithfully involved in ourtreach. He also chairs our Finance Committee. I am chairman of the deacons and choir director.

I remember when I first embraced DoG forty years ago. I thought it was so great that I wanted to talk about it with anybody who would listen. I actually made a nuisance of myself. I soon learned that non-DoGs will not receive it well from a zealot. They must come to it on their own after much study. The Spirit of truth guides into truth.

I am happy to share my view with anyone who wants to hear it. But I do not crusade for it, and I will not divide my church over it.

#60 Tom Butler, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.