1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sharp Divide: How to deal with it

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I would argue that we are not.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the sake of your credibility and integrity I hope then your judgment and lack of meekness concerning labeling his response to be “merely” being “over-emotional hype” is 100% correct and accurate, because some day someone may be responding that way might be truly more predictable as actually "really" demonstrating some pain and could better be perceived as being as an ongoing struggle, but you won’t be there when they needed you like you should have been to take the opportunity to give a little kindness and some support, because you were too busy trying to show yourself right in making these accusations while playing games on the internet debate forum to actually see the pain and acknowledge it while you go about completely failing to demonstrate you have some "real" understanding of how bad it could be.

#82 Benjamin, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been there, and while regretful, there is no pain involved in having been a drunk. There may be pain from the loss of a loved one or friend or because while someone was drunk they did something really stupid. But being a drunk in and of itself in no way involves a life long set of pain. Some folks just want to be a victim.

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, so no one can have personal pain with their struggles and regrets that could last a life time and they really just want to be victim, that would be the only reason they might bring it up? Okay, whatever you want to think about them then, tough guy, glad you got it all figured out for them.

:rolleyes:

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, people sometimes kill themselves to escape emotional pain. Other people who can tolerate great pain do so by being "able" controlling it emotionally. Pain is subjective and can only be measured by how the person descibes it. Some people struggle to control this pain, but I'm glad you are so able and tough as to not have to not even consider it as really pain.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    HeirofSalvation

:flower:
    How nice.....you wish us all the best,,,,,
    133 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
    But then again...upon further relection......Let's see how the love of the brethren continues to flow....from HOS----

I sure we would have thought that if you did not make that claim for yourself based on the goodwill expressed here.....wishing us the best

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In grace, I will apologize for off topic discussion and add my thought on the subject and see if I can help get things back on track on "how to handle the divide" by asking:

Is burning the Calvinist at the stake out of the question?

:cool:

#87 Benjamin, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many unbelievers have burned calvinists at the stake in church history, read
    Fair Sunshine:thumbs: The calvinists still praised God and quoted scripture as they burned their way out of their bodies and into the presence of the Saviour of God's elect:thumbs::thumbs:

9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

There must be a reason why Calvinist had to hid in little circles in Church?
    What has been forgotten?

What i do know people came to America for freedom of religion away from Great Britain.

We will all be arguing scripture as long as we tunnel all scripture into our belief system and not let the Holy Spirit speak to them by His word.

The Holy Spirit did not say this He meant this to tunnel the scripture into our understanding of DoG or the Holy Spirit really meant this so people have free will. Not every scripture can be forced into our understanding of scripture and quench the Spirit and His word that He is declaring before those who want to listen and learn.

God does not have to force us into a choice all He has to do is lay life and death before us through His word and put before us the consequences for our own action, our own evil desire not His desire for us. Those who choose life Jesus will live not because of their choice, but because it is God's will that those repent will live. It is God who saves them and it is the work of the Spirit and life that is in the words of Jesus not in us. It is nothing that come from us, but from Him. It is His words that are Spirit and life in me. Jesus said remain in me and I will in you and I know Jesus cannot and will not disown Himself. If I live it is because of Him, if I die in my sins it is because of me. God does want all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, so if you perish you can only blame yourself.

God has not failed those who come to the knowledge of the truth (Jesus) will be saved.

#89 psalms109:31, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you once again questioning others salvation by making your stereotypical little suggestions geared to insinuate such by using your “sly” tactics to say that only “unbelievers” would, even if rhetorically, think of such a thing? Show some guts, man up, have some integrity for change and give it to me straight, Icon, I can take it. Then take your reasoning and also apply it literally to Calvin for his actual deeds.

Weeeellll, now, isn't that special! Quoted scriptures, eh? I hope God had pre-selected them for that election and they weren't just blowing smoke with that demonstation. :sleep:

#90 Benjamin, Dec 4, 2012
  11. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, Icon...You would NOT have EVER thought that regardless; not from me, and not from any Arminian. That was quippy, and witty but (coming from you) it simply is not true.

12. Herald

Herald New Member

Can you provide some specifics? I'm not aware of having to hide in little circles.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

would you say this based on specific points of dissagreement, or because you dislike the label? (as Herald does not call himself a calvinist...though he is calvinistic in soteriology only).

Is there something here: http://evangelicalarminians.org/?q=Are_You_an_Arminian_and_Dont_Even_Know_It

...or here: http://evangelicalarminians.org/Glynn-what-is-arminianism

..that you dissagree with...or would you say this site does not accurately describe arminianism?

14. psalms109:31

I mean crawling out of the woodwork. Hiding in the woodwork.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not one and neither are many others simply because of the fact that we do not identify with him. I do not base my theology on the theology of another man. I do not follow other men in that manner. And no one is going to impose that on me. I am a Christian. Period. Paul spoke on this and made it clear. Following after men in this manner is unscriptural.

16. Herald

Herald New Member

Keep in mind this cuts both ways. You may have a church that holds to the FW position with members who hold to the DoG. Since they are in the minority they may not feel comfortable making their disagreement known. The same for the FW members in a DoG church. I wouldn't say these people are necessarily hiding. They're exercising discretion. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. For conscience sake it may be better if they leave for a church that is like-minded with their convictions.

17. Herald

Herald New Member

I truly appreciate your comments. This is the reason I do not call myself a Calvinist. I do not follow John Calvin. I do not believe in baptizing babies and Presbyterian ecclesiology. I have no problem being identified a Christian who believes "X" who ministers at a church that believes "X". I think that's only fair since it allows people to know what we believe the Bible teaches. But being defined by the name of another person? I would rather not be.

18. psalms109:31

There is two sides of a coin they exist together but they are one but so different. The world does need to know God does love the world that He sent His Son and the consequences for rejecting Him and if they are saved it is what God did that saved them. As long as people disagree with the Holy Spirit there will be a war that no one will be able to hide from. Calvinism use to be in little circles because infants was not ready for it, it was for the mature. There was a letter stating if it was true then it should be taught to everyone even infants. I noticed after that letter it starting coming out of the woodwork. I am glad that it has now it can be debated by all. That is what I noticed in my opinion I don't remember the source of that letter. The scripture can't be contained we are to continue to grow and mature and not settle and become idle with complacency

#98 psalms109:31, Dec 4, 2012
  19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. So would it be fair to say that Herald is not a calvinist, but is calvinistic in soteriology? And that you, and many other baptists are not Arminians, but are believe as Arminians do in the area of soteriology?

20. Herald

Herald New Member

While I do not like the term "Calvinist", I have no problem being called Reformed. Reformed is a set of doctrinal distinctives that I hold to. Baptist Reformed theology eschews infant baptism and Presbyterian ecclesiology. But since I do hold to Baptist Covenant Theology and the DoG, it is fair to call me Reformed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.