The term "Reformed"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you'll find I do, and have produced some of it on this forum. :)
    Are you able to point me to these records on line? Or maybe cut and paste them so we can all inspect them?

2. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we all know that. And the other six?

3. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, yes, of course he was. But how much stock should we put in the ravings of a man who makes no distinction between Munster Anabaptists and their like and the men (including Kiffin) who signed the First London Confession? A man who would accuse Kiffin, et al., of plural marriage, public nakedness, advocating the killing of government officials, etc.?

Someone on this board has repeatedly chided others for using paedobaptist sources to buttress an opinion. Of course, this is different because it ...

I may be missing it, but my impression from the reading is that Featley had been acquainted with Anabaptists for 20 years but being dipt "head over ears" was something new. I would be grateful if you would provide the reference, because I may be wrong.

And Featley, of course, probably ranks first in creating an "intentional smear job."

4. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bib, MM states that the Trail of Blood is a myth...do you agree or not.

5. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GUESS THIS IS A TOPIC BEST LEFT ALONE....OH OH sorry left the caps key on.

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were not Baptists!
    Held to Baptist doctrines, but were not any Historically until Middle Ages!

7. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early Church heldto Baptist doctrines/practices, but here were no historical Baptists until Middle Ages!

Our friend just wants to have Baptists linked to NT church, and undermine all others as being legit NT churches now...

8. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Were there PaedoBaptists then though? Just to clarify here, you are stating that the Baptists started in Acts, that there were no real NT churches under Reformation that held to infant baptism, and now only legit NT churches are certain Baptists, correct?

9. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should note that people are different. I am a ninth generation American (my family came from Ireland). My family is very much involved in knowing our family lineage. I do not share that interest as I can't seem to understand how (other than as trivia) that bears upon who I am.

So I believe that churches should look not to a heritage of churches throughout time, but instead to Christ. For me, that is where our true heritage rests. If a Muslim converts because he stumbled on the gospel in a tract, and others are converted, and they soon assemble as a church....I do not think that they have less a heritage than does anyone else. It is a spiritual kinship, not a physical line of "true churches".

10. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LM Baptist view seem to me to be same reasons that SD/Rome/Mormons/JW etc all have used!

11. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The divding linehas to be how they see the Gospel itself, God nature, and salvation, not Modes of water Baptism!

I am a Baptist, but see Reformed my Brothers in Christ, and closer to them than freewill Baptists that dunk!

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of read from Chuck Swindoll...
    2 Christians met, on bridge, and one said I am a Christian, other agreed with him
    I am a Baptsit, again other agreed
    I holdt KJV only, other agreed
    Pre Mil pre trib, other agreed
    I hold to limited, other said unlimited atonemet
    'You are a heretic" and threw him off the bridge!

13. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What should define a real Church is iftey have the real Jesus, real Gospel, and Holy Spirit in their midst, that marks them as a community of God!

14. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know each of you guys are on to something....however we each need to quantify our assessments. Is it so important for us, who claim Christs Grace & forgiveness to review the past history & try to apply it to some degree to what each of us thinks is our own concept of the Baptist Church as it is today.

What is our end game gentlemen? Where are our minds when we discuss Baptist development in the 16 hundreds up until now? Ive stated this before & I will say it again, I cant make the events of the past, The Reformation etc disorientate me because if I do that, I cant focus on the goals God has put me to accomplish in this here and now. What I can do however is acknowledge God there with me as a part of my life....guiding me & challenging me to live a holy & joyful life. Look,I am slow, a most egregious sinner, but with His help I am learning. Thats good enough for me.

15. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have now been able to find these Broadmead church records. You do realise that this church was in Bristol, not London, don't you? There are some 640 pages to trawl through, so I am by no means finished, but may I draw your attention to pages 79-80 where it very clearly states that John Spilsbury departed from the Southwark Independent Church of Henry Jacob in 1633. So Spilsbury was a former Independent paedobaptist, and he did live in London for an extended period. That is no criticism whatsoever of Spilsbury. He left when his understanding of what the Scriptures teach became clearer, just as Knollys and Kiffin would do after him.

Fore those who are interested, these records of the Broadmead church may be found here: https://archive.org/details/therecordsofachu00terruoft

16. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely right!
    The reason I have argued so strongly against Landmarkism is that it is exclusive to the point that it banishes anyone who cannot pronounce its shibboleths to the outer margins of heaven, whereas those initiated into the mysteries of LM have exclusive rights to the New Jerusalem. It divides Christian against Christian. I know what I believe to be true and am prepared to argue for it, but Dispensationalists, Arminians, Presbyterians, Episcopalians etc. are all my brothers in Christ so long as they hold to the Gospel and to the bodily return of Christ in glory.

17. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When used to describe a theology, denotation is out the window. If I say I am Reformed, I'm not saying I was thinking one way, then changed. I'm saying I believe in things like Sola Scriptura.

The Reformation was a move of God. Baptists need to get over themselves.

18. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the 1689 London Baptist Confession, which mostly apes the previous Presbyterian (Westminster) and Independent (Savoy) language, deletes the term Reformed:

Independent (Presbyterian same):

"such as profess the true Reformed religion, should not marry with Infidels, Papists, or other Idolaters"

Baptist:

"such as profess the true Religion, should not marry with Infidels, or Idolaters"

19. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also eliminated the pronouncement of not marrying Papists.:)

Funny, but when I was an RC, they would always claim themselves to be the one true religion. :)

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the New Jerusalem, there will be ONLY saved persons, ALL got there in same fashion, there will be no Baptist section, Reformed, Lutheryn, AOG etc!

When will we take to heart that Jesus really meant that His body should be one, just as He and Father are? We are free to disagree, but not free to make us Lord over/superior to others saved by God?