1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Way of the Master Moment throwing dust in the eyes

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 4, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dust in the Eyes (pp.166, WOTM Minute devotional).
    By Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort

Most don't realize that we as a church have moved far away from Biblical evangelism. Many of today's preachers are merely motivational speakers. They present God as a divine butler. Rarely is there a reference to God's law and the nature of sin. But listen to AW Pink. He said "Without the preaching of the Law the preacher is building a house which will not stand; yea, he is throwing dust in the eyes of the people, bolstering them up in false hope. Until the law is given its proper place in the pulpit, and is preached regularly, plainly, authoritatively, the tide of lawlessness, which has swept over this favored land will continue rising higher and higher. Well may we pray, 'It is time for thee, Lord, to work:for they have made void Thy Law."

There goes another moment gone forever. Go share your faith while you still have time.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
    2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
    3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.

And there you have the Gospel. As shown by Paul and inspired by the Holy Spirit of God.

Galatians1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Galatians 3:2
    I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:11
    But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 2:21
    I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:21-22
    Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Hebrews 10:1
    For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way of the MOTHER ?????

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Way of the Mater Moment throwing dust in the eyes

...you know, maters, like what you grow in the garden, luv em....

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothin' quite like telling a person for whom english is not their first language to "learn to spell"; and then messing up your own thread title with the same mistake you just criticized someone else for....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the practice of paul was not to preach the Law to Febtiles, but to preach Jesus crucified and rose up, as Jesus stated that If he be lifted up, not if the law is!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thing God has a sense of humor!

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We preach the law as I did today to convict of sin. We preach the gospel to those that are humble and wish to accept it.

10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who determines who gets the Gospel? I thought you were called to preach the Gospel to every creature, not preach the law to every creature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way of the Mater throwing dust in the eyes?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always wondered, what is the biblical support for preaching the gospel to the humble and the Law to the proud?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The proof text is that God resist the proud and gives grace to the Humble. James 4:6

Of course for that to work in the context of evangelism one must claim to have omniscience of who is proud and who is humble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure since James was quoting the OT.

James 4:1-10 What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"? But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE." Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

The idea that the passage in James (which is speaking of the struggle with sin among professing Christians) deals with evangelism seems to be a poor application of God's Word. The idea that it means proclaiming the gospel only to the humble and the Law to the proud is unbiblical. The idea that we can discern whether or not God will draw a person through our testimony is absurd.

Do you know if this is an "official" part of TWOTM?

15. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is offical part of TWOTM.

"The Gospel of Grace is for the humble not the proud. 'God resist the proud but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6) Scripture tells us 'Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord' (Proverbs 16:5) 'He puts down the mighty from their thrones, and exalts the lowly. (Luke 1:52) God looks on the one who 'is poor and of a contrite spirit and who trembles at [His] word (Isa. 66:2) Only the sick need a physician and only those who are convinced of the disease of sin will appreciate and appropriate the cure of the Gospel" The Way of the Master by Ray Comfort page 42-43

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read Comfort' s books before and knew he rejected Paul's doctrine on the nature of the Law, but this is horrible.

Basically it says I was wrong to witness to someone who is now a Christian...Jesus was wrong to call Saul...we are wrong when we share the gospel with the world.

Reminds me of the "anti-missions" movement. You don't want to share the gospel with people God ain't savin' cause that'd be going agin His will.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally do not follow the formula all the time. I mailed out a letter just today to a individual and I preached grace to him (but he may be proud). I did include a WOTM tract, but I included 2 others that did not use the law in their presentation.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am WOTM Preferred not WOTM only. When I open air preached on saturday I used Romans, Ecc, and many other passages in the Bible to convict of sin. I mentioned the 10 commandments but I do not agree that its the only way to convict a sinner.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not have experience with TWOTM, except by reading a few books by Ray Comfort (which is why I don’t trust his discernment of Scripture) and watching some of his videos (which is why I believe he is called to evangelism). I think Comfort is a good example of someone who has gone beyond his expertise and calling (perhaps this is a type of pride, but who knows). I remember the “Roman’s Road” and E.E. when I was a teenager. I liked the “Roman’s Road” because it required people to commit passages dealing with conversion to heart. I never really used it as a method (ADD I guess).

I am a firm believer that true evangelism is not a method but an encounter between God and man through the means of a church as the local expression of the Body of Christ, manifested in a conversation between a believer and a lost person.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The work of the Holy Spirit Himself is to convict of sin, thru the preaching of the Cross, not the Law!