1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The WILL of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what did you want to show me here or what I need to see in your opinion, since I do not see anything contrary to the free will of people.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are now under the new and much better Covenant, established by the person and work of the Lord Jesus!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does God require to have someone be now reconciled back and saved? Faith in the One He sent, the Lord Jesus period!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hebrew and the Greek are the final authority, not any english translation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of "final authority", would you or @Strannik please provide a scripture that backs that statement, cause, you know, scripture IS the "final authority".
    We've been waiting for months now.
    Anytime.
    One verse.
    Really.
    Just waiting.
    Right here.
    :Whistling

6. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean, "last resort"? I just didn't understand you? If you are talking about the interpretation of the Bible, then any translation ( I fully agree with Yeshua1 here) is just an interpolation or interpretation of the translator's thoughts. We don't have to go far for an example. You can just pay attention to the fact that I do not communicate with you personally, but with the help of an online translator, which does not always convey all thoughts accurately and correctly. Sometimes I have to either ask again, or explain my statement myself.

Here you can just remember the words of Christ:
    "The truth is from the Jews." If you need to understand something better, then you need to refer to the original source, in the original language.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus saw scripture as the very word of God when speaking to Satan, eh?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The final authority would be the hebrew and greek texts, not the Translations off of them!

9. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, here it is necessary without extremes. Because how much of the latter can be the authority of the original languages. For example, not everyone knows Hebrew and Greek, but using suitable and authoritative translations, we still all have the opportunity to learn the Will and Teachings of the Lord God.

10. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is clear you do not understand God's covenants with us. That is something for you to study. It's not an OT vs NT thing.

God gave the Mosaic covenant (the law) to Israel, a covenant people. Those outside of Israel were never under that covenant or under that law. They died because of their innate sinful nature that is in rebellion against God. Israel died knowing they had broken God's covenant with them.
    All needed to be redeemed and saved by grace.

Angels also had free will. 1/3 of the angels followed Lucifer in rebellion.
    What angels marvel at is...grace, not free will. What amazes them is that God chose to extend grace to a created species who deserved the exact same fate as the fallen angels. We deserve God's eternal wrath.
    Second, the Bible tells us that all humans, by nature, will choose rebellion and reject being subjected under God's rule. (Romans 3 is very clear.)
    You have bought in to a man-made philosophy that humans controll their own destiny by their own authoritative choice and will. The Bible does not teach that philosophy. The Bible tells us that God chooses to make a person alive with Christ. By grace you are saved. (Ephesians 2 is very clear.)
    God doesn't tell the unsaved to choose him. Joshua 29 is a statement to Israel who is responding under the Mosaic covenant and is attempting to make a vow to God, which Joshua tells them they can never fulfill.
    God specifically calls people to be reconciled with Him. God then ensures that all He has given to Jesus will hear His voice (John 10 is very clear.).
    Strannik, you have created a man-centered, law-based means of salvation that the Bible does not teach. You are adding burdens on sinners that they cannot bear. You have a legalism like that of the Judaizers, which Paul called anathema in his writing to the Galatians.

I wish you well and pray God gives light to your darkened eyes in this matter.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    God always called for reconciliation. God always initiates that reconciliation. God saves by grace. He gives faith to the one he graciously saves.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Himself qualified that those who have ears to hear would be the only ones who would respond "freely"

13. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying there's a problem between the two Testaments. I write that today we do not live according to the Law of Moses.
    ===================================
    5 Moses writes about the righteousness of the law: the man who fulfills it will live by it.
    (Rom. 10:5)--------- Here we see that Moses speaks of righteousness/ salvation through the fulfillment of the works of the Law.
    ----------------------------------------
    9 So the believers are blessed with the faithful Abraham,
    10 but all who are established in the works of the law are under an oath. For it is written: Cursed is everyone who does not constantly do all that is written in the book of the law.
    11 But it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because the righteous will live by faith.
    12 But the law is not according to faith; but whoever fulfills it will live by it.
    (Gal.3:9-12)-------------- Here we see that all who are established on the works of the Law or are saved by the works of the Law, they will live by them. That is, as long as they fulfill the Law according to the flesh, they are saved until then, and as soon as they break it, they are immediately put to death. That is, here we see that according to the Law of Moses, it is not faith that is important to people, but the very fact of performing works according to the flesh. They essentially oblige God by doing things that fulfill the Law.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    15 We are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles;
    16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but only by faith in Jesus Christ, and we have believed in Christ Jesus to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law; for by the deeds of the law will no flesh be justified.
    17 but If, in seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the Minister of sin? No way.
    18 For if I build up again what I have destroyed, I make myself a criminal.
    19 By the law I died for the law, that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ,
    20 And I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And now that I live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me.
    21 I do Not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
    (Gal.2:15-21)---------------------Here we see that we, Christians, are saved not by doing things that would oblige God to save us, but it is precisely by believing in God that we are saved.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8 If you keep the king's law, according to the Scriptures, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well.
    9 But if you act with respect to persons, you commit a sin, and you become criminals before the law.
    10 He who keeps the whole law, and sins in one thing, is guilty of all things.
    11 For He Who said, do not commit adultery, said also, do not kill; now if thou commit adultery, but murder, you are a transgressor of the law.
    12 Thus speak ye, and so do ye, as they that have to be judged according to the law of liberty.
    13 For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy; mercy is exalted above judgment.
    14 What good is it, my brethren, if a man says that he has faith, but has no works? can this faith save him?
    15 If a brother or sister is naked and has no daily food,
    16 But one of you will say to them, 'Go in peace, and be warmed and fed,' but he will not give them what they need for the body.
    17 In the same way, faith, if it has no works, is dead in itself.
    18 But someone will say, 'You have faith, but I have works': Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith from my works.
    19 You believe that God is one: you do well; and the demons believe, and tremble.
    20 But do you want to know, you unfounded man, that faith without works is dead?
    21 Was it not by works that Abraham our father was justified, when he laid his son Isaac on the altar?
    (Iac.2:8-21)-------------------But here, in fact, the conclusion to everything and the Final explanation is given. We cannot be saved by the good works of the flesh according to the Law, since no one is simply able to fulfill the entire Law from Alpha to Omega, since anyone who violates the slightest law in the law of Moses is guilty of the Entire Law and is automatically sentenced to death.
    But since we were not able to be saved by the carnal works of the Law, the Lord gave us in Christ the opportunity to be saved by faith in the grace of the Lord and to accept His salvation freely. But here below the apostle gives an explanation. We are saved by faith, but not by empty faith, but by faith that has revealed the fruits in the form of works of grace. If we do not have works in life that show our faith, then faith is not saving, but demonic. Empty.
    =================================================

So, brother, you are wrong in your judgment, and it is you who must understand the Law of Perfect, True Freedom in Christ.

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strannik, you never actually answered me. You are still stuck on Old and New Testament, which isn't something God cares about. Humans created that odd division.
    Address the Covenants. God is a covenant making God. If you understand God's covenant with Israel, then you will begin to understand what Paul is explaining in Galatians 3.

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith— just as Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”? Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed.” So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.” But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.” Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. To give a human example, brothers:even with a man-made covenant, no one annuls it or adds to it once it has been ratified. Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ. This is what I mean: the law, which came 430 years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void. For if the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise. Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made, and it was put in place through angels by an intermediary. Now an intermediary implies more than one, but God is one. Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

Strannik, may God give light to you as you read His word.

15. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, of course, you can guess for a long time what and how, but there is an opinion that the angels, even in the bulk, did not suffer because there was free will, but because they simply obeyed their immediate superior, the cherub Lucifer, since all angels are called simply "service spirits": 14 Are they not all service spirits sent to serve for those who have to inherit salvation? (Heb.1:14) =============================================
    Second, the Bible tells us that all people will naturally choose to rebel and refuse to submit to the rule of God. (Romans 3 is very clear.) You have agreed with the philosophy created by people, according to which people themselves control their fate by their authoritative choice and will. The Bible does not teach this philosophy. The Bible tells us that God wants to make man alive with Christ. By grace you are saved. (Ephesians 2 is very clear.)--------------- ----------------------------------------
    The fact is that in Chapter 3 it is said that although we are all sinners by nature perverted, but the Word of God is preached to us, so that we can accept and believe It of our own free will. Similarly the fact that we are saved by grace does not mean that this salvation cannot be lost:

1 Therefore I, a prisoner in the Lord, beseech you to do what is worthy of the calling to which you have been called.,
    2 with all humility and meekness and longsuffering, condescending to one another with love,
    3 striving to preserve the unity of the spirit in the union of peace.
    4 One body and one spirit, as you are called to the one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6 One God and Father of all, Who is above all, and through all, and in all of us.
    7 But every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
    8 Therefore it is written, " When he went up on high, he took captivity captive, and gave gifts to men."
    9 And what does' ascended ' mean, if not that He also descended before into the underworld of the earth?
    10 He who descended is also He who ascended above all the heavens, to fill all things.
    11 And he appointed some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers.,
    12 for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of service, for the building up of the body of Christ,
    13 Until we all come to the unity of the faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to the perfect man, to the measure of the full age of Christ;
    14 that we may no longer be infants, wavering and carried away by every wind of teaching, according to the cunning of men, according to the cunning art of deceit,
    15 But by true love all have been restored to Him who is the head of Christ,
    16 from whom the whole body, which is formed and united by means of all the bonds that bind each other together, when each member acts according to its own measure, receives an increment for the building up of itself in love.
    17 Therefore I say and adjure the LORD, that you no longer do as other nations do, because of the vanity of your mind,
    18 Being darkened in your understanding, alienated from the life of God, because of their ignorance and the hardness of their heart.
    19 When they have reached insensibility, they have given themselves up to debauchery, so that they do all uncleanness with insatiability.
    20 But this is not how you came to know Christ;
    21 Because you have heard of him, and have learned in him, for the truth is in Jesus,
    22 to put aside the former way of life of the old man, who is decaying in the lusts of deceit.,
    23 but be renewed by the spirit of your mind
    24 and to put on a new man, created according to God, in the righteousness and holiness of the truth.
    25 Therefore, rejecting falsehood, speak the truth every man to his neighbor, for we are members of one another.
    26 When you are angry, do not sin: let not the sun go down in your anger;
    27 and give no place to the devil.
    28 Whoever steals, do not steal ahead, but rather work hard, making useful things with your own hands, so that there is something to give to the needy.
    29 Let no rotten word come out of your mouth, but only good words for the edification of faith, that it may bring grace to those who hear.
    30 And do not offend the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed on the day of atonement.
    31 All anger, and wrath, and wrath, and shouting, and evil-speaking, with all malice, let them be removed from you.;
    32 But be kind to one another, be compassionate, and forgive one another, just as God in Christ has forgiven you.
    (Eph. 4: 1-32)
    "He has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Tim. 5: 8).
    " For many, of whom I have often spoken to you, and now even with tears I speak, are acting as enemies of the cross of Christ " (Phil.3:18).
    19 Today I call heaven and earth to witness before you: I have offered you life and death, blessing and curse. Choose life, that you and your offspring may live,
    20 You have loved the LORD your God, and listened to his voice, and clung to him; for this is your life, and the length of your days, that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.
    (Deut. 30: 19,20)

16. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, of course, you can guess for a long time what and how, but there is an opinion that the angels, even in the bulk, did not suffer because there was free will, but because they simply obeyed their immediate superior, the cherub Lucifer, since all angels are called simply "service spirits": 14 Are they not all service spirits sent to serve for those who have to inherit salvation? (Heb.1:14) =============================================
    Second, the Bible tells us that all people will naturally choose to rebel and refuse to submit to the rule of God. (Romans 3 is very clear.) You have agreed with the philosophy created by people, according to which people themselves control their fate by their authoritative choice and will. The Bible does not teach this philosophy. The Bible tells us that God wants to make man alive with Christ. By grace you are saved. (Ephesians 2 is very clear.)--------------- ----------------------------------------
    The fact is that in Chapter 3 it is said that although we are all sinners by nature perverted, but the Word of God is preached to us, so that we can accept and believe It of our own free will. Similarly the fact that we are saved by grace does not mean that this salvation cannot be lost:

1 Therefore I, a prisoner in the Lord, beseech you to do what is worthy of the calling to which you have been called.,
    2 with all humility and meekness and longsuffering, condescending to one another with love,
    3 striving to preserve the unity of the spirit in the union of peace.
    4 One body and one spirit, as you are called to the one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6 One God and Father of all, Who is above all, and through all, and in all of us.
    7 But every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
    8 Therefore it is written, " When he went up on high, he took captivity captive, and gave gifts to men."
    9 And what does' ascended ' mean, if not that He also descended before into the underworld of the earth?
    10 He who descended is also He who ascended above all the heavens, to fill all things.
    11 And he appointed some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers.,
    12 for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of service, for the building up of the body of Christ,
    13 Until we all come to the unity of the faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to the perfect man, to the measure of the full age of Christ;
    14 that we may no longer be infants, wavering and carried away by every wind of teaching, according to the cunning of men, according to the cunning art of deceit,
    15 But by true love all have been restored to Him who is the head of Christ,
    16 from whom the whole body, which is formed and united by means of all the bonds that bind each other together, when each member acts according to its own measure, receives an increment for the building up of itself in love.
    17 Therefore I say and adjure the LORD, that you no longer do as other nations do, because of the vanity of your mind,
    18 Being darkened in your understanding, alienated from the life of God, because of their ignorance and the hardness of their heart.
    19 When they have reached insensibility, they have given themselves up to debauchery, so that they do all uncleanness with insatiability.
    20 But this is not how you came to know Christ;
    21 Because you have heard of him, and have learned in him, for the truth is in Jesus,
    22 to put aside the former way of life of the old man, who is decaying in the lusts of deceit.,
    23 but be renewed by the spirit of your mind
    24 and to put on a new man, created according to God, in the righteousness and holiness of the truth.
    25 Therefore, rejecting falsehood, speak the truth every man to his neighbor, for we are members of one another.
    26 When you are angry, do not sin: let not the sun go down in your anger;
    27 and give no place to the devil.
    28 Whoever steals, do not steal ahead, but rather work hard, making useful things with your own hands, so that there is something to give to the needy.
    29 Let no rotten word come out of your mouth, but only good words for the edification of faith, that it may bring grace to those who hear.
    30 And do not offend the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed on the day of atonement.
    31 All anger, and wrath, and wrath, and shouting, and evil-speaking, with all malice, let them be removed from you.;
    32 But be kind to one another, be compassionate, and forgive one another, just as God in Christ has forgiven you.
    (Eph. 4: 1-32)
    "He has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Tim. 5: 8).
    " For many, of whom I have often spoken to you, and now even with tears I speak, are acting as enemies of the cross of Christ " (Phil.3:18).
    19 Today I call heaven and earth to witness before you: I have offered you life and death, blessing and curse. Choose life, that you and your offspring may live,
    20 You have loved the LORD your God, and listened to his voice, and clung to him; for this is your life, and the length of your days, that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.
    (Deut. 30: 19,20)

17. Strannik

Strannik Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read carefully. You don't notice the fact that the scriptures differentiate between the Old and New Testaments.
    -------------------------------
    31 Behold, the days are coming, saith the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
    32 Not such a covenant as I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; they broke my covenant, though I remained in league with them, saith the LORD.
    (Jer.31:31,32)
    +++++++++++++++++
    8 But God finding fault with them, he saith, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new Covenant,
    9 not like the Covenant which I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in My Covenant, and I disregarded them, saith the Lord.
    10 This is the covenant that I will make to the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my laws in their minds, and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they will be my people.
    11 And every man shall not teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for all, from the least to the greatest, shall know me.,
    12 For I will be merciful to their iniquities, and I will remember their sins and their iniquities no more.
    13 When he said "new," he showed the oldness of the first; but the old and the old are close to destruction.
    (Heb.8:8-13)
    =================================================
    Well, I do not preach salvation by deeds. I just quoted the Scripture to you that faith without works is dead and you can't argue with that. These are the words of the Holy Scriptures
    -----------------------
    19 You believe that God is one: you do well; and the demons believe, and tremble.
    20 But do you want to know, you unfounded man, that faith without works is dead?
    21 Was it not by works that Abraham our father was justified, when he laid his son Isaac on the altar?
    22 Do you see that faith has contributed to his works, and by his works faith has been perfected?
    23 And the word of the Scripture was fulfilled: "Abraham believed in God, and it was imputed to him as righteousness, and he was called the friend of God."
    24 Do you see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone?
    25 Like Rahab, the harlot was not justified by works, having received the spies and sent them away in another way?
    26 For as the body is dead without the spirit, so faith is dead without works.
    (James 2: 19-26)

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you have a verse that says free will exists?

19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strannik, you keep adding the term "free will" as if you can find it in the Bible, but you cannot.
    Second, you quote a passage given to Israel, under the Mosaic Covenant, directly given to the chosen people of Israel.

Since you seem to be ignorant of God's Covenants, I don't think we will ever be able to agree. Please spend time studying the Covenants God has made and how they give understanding in interpreting God's word.

20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strannik, you have a man-made creation of Old vs New Testament. This artificial distinction is not found in the Bible. I recognize the Covenants God made because God makes covenants for a purpose.

I appreciate you quoting the verses that express the New Covenant, which was established at the cross.

Faith is active. Faith moves the believer to work. Those works are ordained by God (Ephesians 2:10). Faith is a gift, given to the person God chooses to give faith. Faith is not something conjured by the person who is dead in his trespasses and sins.
    When you understand that Faith is a gift, you will see that James is telling his readers that if they do not exhibit good works, there claim of having faith, given to them by God, is a false claim. That person isn't even saved.

Please give God the glory. It's not human free will that saves you, it's God, deliberately choosing to save you by grace, despite your rebellious nature. God gets all the glory. You and I get zero glory...as it should be.