1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theologian N.T. Wright's Reaction to Bin Laden's Death.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, May 6, 2011.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. :applause:

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm also someone who normally doesn't like killing, but with someone like this, the only language they understand is death, and what else can you really do with them? It's ultimately either you or them. And they obviously have no qualms taking out innocent people in their war against the power structure.
    Many Christians used to teach "just pray, and God will protect you, or if he does get you, it was God's will". (Many would teach that to others, but still be willing to protect their own lives!) But for a whole nation of people (Christian and secular alike), you really can't expect them to just let this guy get away with something like that, and it probably isn't worth having him sit in some cell forever, plus all the wrangling in the trial process, plus him being a live martyr.

#42 Eric B, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, because getting him on trial is going to be hard, just kill him. Trust that thinking doesn't catch on too well.

4. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

OBL did not immediately surrender; he resisted.

In an ideal world, yes.

Rbell, you're right. There was no real choice but to kill bin Laden. I've said before, I'm glad he's dead. But I'm not dancing on his grave. It's sad he chose to commit the acts he did instead of doing good things, but it was his own actions that led to his demise.

There are two extremes here- one is "mourning the loss of an image bearer" and the other is dancing in the streets in jubilation. I find it wise to steer clear of both extremes while realizing the world is a safer place without bin Laden.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

OBL was a casualty of a war that he and his islamo-thugs started. To kill him was legitimate and, I believe, moral.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is your option isn't it, hope your thinking doesn't catch on though :thumbsup:

7. mandym

mandym New Member

First, no the church is not the biggest stumbling block to the gospel. Second, you level an accusation about the "rejoicing" that you cannot know and cannot back up. We can rejoice over justice served without it being over the death itself. We can rejoice that this evil man can no longer do what he has done. Your hypersensitivity is uncalled for.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

I contend that sometimes pragmatism is preferable to idealism when the security of our nation is at stake.

9. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

The church is a great stumbling block to the Gospel. We are our own worst enemy. I'm not hypersensitive. Revival tarries because we tarry (Leonard Ravenhill). Most American Christians are more focused on matters like this than are on matters of the propagation of the Gospel, which board is serving for fellowship hour next Sunday, or wasting time online as I am right now...

Our collective insensitivity to the level of violence which is carried out in our name in this land in the name of securing peace is equally uncalled for.

#49 PilgrimPastor, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Excellent point. And true.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, Pilgrimpastor...we're supposed to object that this mass murderer was killed?

We were supposed to sacrifice more women and children to feel more "righteous?"

That's silly talk.

12. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't say or imply that. I said don't rejoice.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They could have captured him and let National public radio interview him and they could swoon over his answers...and then NPR could blame the Bush policies for driving him to terrorism.
    he could then go on oprah.and dr phil could council him about life...
    then He could appear at Joel Osteens church and Joel could smile and say that he is okay,and could have his best life now...if he would just stop with his jihad

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bin laden was an instrument to punish America, for national sin...like the Chaldeans in Habakkuks day,or the Assyrians in Isa 10

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You know this for sure? It's very strange to assert that as fact. Been listening to Pat Robinson much?

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

N.T. Wright is one of the staunchest and most enthusiastic proponents of historical evangelical Christianity around. A person who argues for the historicity of the virgin birth and the resurrection as Wright does is, by definition, not left-leaning. Perhaps some involved with NPP are, but that could be said of most any perspective.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

His view on imputation is left leaning. I believe he has some very solid positions. But some very extreme like imputation. But seeing your thread on "image-bearer" which he has written about it seems you are quite the Wright follower. And the very foundation of the NPP doesn't just lean left it is extremely liberal. Especially coming from men like Dunn.

18. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I would have greatly enjoyed watching that!